ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Airhead engine, trans, final drive swap question

I've got a 1974 r75 frame with a 1976 r90/6 engine and trans mounted. I've got a deal on a one owner 1977 r100s. Seems the bike has been sitting, does not presetly run and shows 40k actual miles ( all records with the bike). Question: would the r100 engine fit my frame? Would the trans fit my r90/6 engine? Would the final drive be of any use to me, either mount with the r100 installed given it can, or be used with the present r90? I looked on max BMW and the only numbers that swap out for sure it seems is the trans. I'd buy the bike as spares for my r90 cafe, with the idea of rebuilding the 100s and installing it in the r75/6 frame at some point.. Any info would be appreciated. If none of the above swaps is possible I'd pass ( as I don't need another project). Asking price is $750.00. Seems just for parts the bike is work that.

Thanks,
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.ofA.
Oddometer: 1,178
You should pass on that old piece of junk. What did you say the sellers phone number is????
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,174
The later the better IMO regarding engines and frames. Get the bike and use the one you have now to fix up the later model. It will all swap but you have to mind what you are doing.
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
You should pass on that old piece of junk. What did you say the sellers phone number is????
Good try.....
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
The later the better IMO regarding engines and frames. Get the bike and use the one you have now to fix up the later model. It will all swap but you have to mind what you are doing.

Well, I thought about that, but I've got tons of work on the old bike. Would the tank and cafe seat fit the r100? If so, I'd just need two swap over the headers and instrument cluster and a few ods and ends. Perhaps would be a better choice. But call me crazy, I rescued the old r90, got it working and looking great, and I'd hate to take her off the road.

So to sum up, we re saying I could in fact use all the parts from the r100 swapped to my present build?
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdan View Post
Well, I thought about that, but I've got tons of work on the old bike. Would the tank and cafe seat fit the r100? If so, I'd just need two swap over the headers and instrument cluster and a few ods and ends. Perhaps would be a better choice. But call me crazy, I rescued the old r90, got it working and looking great, and I'd hate to take her off the road.

So to sum up, we re saying I could in fact use all the parts from the r100 swapped to my present build?
Yup. Except for the fact that you are thinking about the entire deal ass backwards!
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Yup. Except for the fact that you are thinking about the entire deal ass backwards!
Yes, I know I know.... Thanks,,,,
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,393
My SWB /5 has a 77 R100s engine, trans, final drive, and front end. It all bolted in there as though BMW wanted for me to do so. It was no harder that if I had just taken out the original stuff and put it back in.
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Yup. Except for the fact that you are thinking about the entire deal ass backwards!

Oh what the hell, I'll get it and start another project..... I'll be airhead poor, got two now!
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels
 
bmwhacker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MONTANA NATIVE from NATIVE MONTANA
Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captdan View Post
I've got a 1974 r75 frame with a 1976 r90/6 engine and trans mounted. I've got a deal on a one owner 1977 r100s. Seems the bike has been sitting, does not presetly run and shows 40k actual miles ( all records with the bike). Question: would the r100 engine fit my frame? Would the trans fit my r90/6 engine? Would the final drive be of any use to me, either mount with the r100 installed given it can, or be used with the present r90? I looked on max BMW and the only numbers that swap out for sure it seems is the trans. I'd buy the bike as spares for my r90 cafe, with the idea of rebuilding the 100s and installing it in the r75/6 frame at some point.. Any info would be appreciated. If none of the above swaps is possible I'd pass ( as I don't need another project). Asking price is $750.00. Seems just for parts the bike is work that.

Thanks,
This is my 1974 r90/6 frame with a 1978 R100S engine. I retained the 1974 kick start transmission . No problem swapping everything around. I used the 1974 wiring harness....had to do a little head scratching as the engine wiring was a little different but no big deal....Used a 1973.5 LWB sub frame. The thing has parts and pieces from too many years of BMW's to even count...a real "mutt".
__________________
http://555navigator.blogspot.com

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Captdan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
This is my 1974 r90/6 frame with a 1978 R100S engine. I retained the 1974 kick start transmission . No problem swapping everything around. I used the 1974 wiring harness....had to do a little head scratching as the engine wiring was a little different but no big deal....Used a 1973.5 LWB sub frame. The thing has parts and pieces from too many years of BMW's to even count...a real "mutt".
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. A real nice looking mutt btw!
__________________
1965 Cushman super silver eagle, 1968 BMW R-60/2, 1974 R-90/6 cafe, 2008 R-1200 GSA.
Captdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kai Ju's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: So Cal
Oddometer: 1,692
can I have the rear drive off the R100S ?
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014