Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #3571
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,961
Droptarotter,

So right!!

Just let me add.

KTM might be able to design a PD racer but sidestands and centerstands give them trouble.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #3572
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Hi there. I wanted to get my bike licensed today but when I took my bike for a ride the lower radiator hose popped off. I got it home, tightened the hose back on and added some distilled water. I leaned it over side to side, trying to get rid of any air pockets and then ran it with the radiator cap off for a while. Topped up the with a little more water until it just covered the fins. When I took it for a ride again the same hose in the same place popped off. Has anyone had this happen before or know what might be causing pressure to pop the hose off?

I want to get it right before I add good, expensive coolant again. Any advice would be much appreciated.. :-)
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #3573
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Two things out the top of my head, either the hose clamp does not apply enough force to hold the pipe in place and as pressure builds up it slides off or if the engine temp was above normal the radiator cap should open and let some water out to relief the pressure . If not then the system will fail at its weakest point which is probably in your case due to my first sentence this hose...

I would change hose clamp to begin with, fill it with distilled water, let it idle until the radiator fan pops in, then see what happens and proceed accordingly

D.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #3574
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 745
Thanks to all the contributors

Thanks to all those who have contributed, and continue to contribute and maintain this thread. I am new to Team Orange, having recently purchased a 2000 640 E, with a bunch of 640 A additions. I am prepping the bike for CO/UT TAT riding this June. I had the bike delivered while in Afghanistan, and have just a couple weeks now, and a few weeks when I get back to make sure everything is good to go before the trip. So thanks for this thread and all the great pictures and advice, they have helped out quite a bit already.

Kyle

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #3575
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawggg View Post
Hi there. I wanted to get my bike licensed today but when I took my bike for a ride the lower radiator hose popped off. I got it home, tightened the hose back on and added some distilled water. I leaned it over side to side, trying to get rid of any air pockets and then ran it with the radiator cap off for a while. Topped up the with a little more water until it just covered the fins. When I took it for a ride again the same hose in the same place popped off. Has anyone had this happen before or know what might be causing pressure to pop the hose off?

I want to get it right before I add good, expensive coolant again. Any advice would be much appreciated.. :-)

The hose clamp in that area might be too long and bottoming out........it might look ok, but might just be a few twists short of proper tension.
Another thing that pops into my pointy head is if the rad cap is the correct pressure??
On these bikes coolant level should only be 10mm above rad core...........if topped up to bottom of filler neck..............they will puke the excess coolant out.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 AM   #3576
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Hi there. I wanted to get my bike licensed today but when I took my bike for a ride the lower radiator hose popped off....)
Mine did the same in the middle of the forest during a dual sport. Overeating badly, the dash flashing, I limped it to lunch thinking I was abusing it on a hot day on single track.

Didn't find out til we stopped that I'd ridden 30 minutes+ with no fluids.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #3577
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:

I had that happen. In my case, I was dealing with a faulty radiator cap and what I thought was a head gasket going out! Turns out the cylinder threads for the headbolts were going south. Pressure frome the compression was entering the cooling system and over pressurizing it!

The big sign I saw besides always running low on coolant was if it sat idling with the cap off it always had small air bubbles coming up to the top of the radiator!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #3578
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:

It was obviously a snake you were using.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #3579
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:

Mine vibrated loose. Loctite is your friend.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #3580
GreyDawggg
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 464
Thanks guys. I think it might be a similar case as low594 said. It was bubbling with the cap off. I have never had this happen before. I did try tighten the clamp as well as I could, thought it should have been tight enough. Sure hope it isn't a head gasket because I had that done with a new piston and cylinder less than 10k ago. I will find out more soon hopefully when I have free time. Cheers!
GreyDawggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #3581
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,961
Dawggg,

Take a good look at your oil.
You wll get bubbles in the coolant if the waterpump seals are shot and the valve guide seals and guides are also shot.

Is your airbox dry or is it full of oil?
Is the engine oil turning milky?

Is there oil in the coolant?
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #3582
beek-02
blazing a trail

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Dawggg,

Take a good look at your oil.
You wll get bubbles in the coolant if the waterpump seals are shot and the valve guide seals and guides are also shot.

bill
Hi Bill,

I've worked on quite a few bikes , cars, etc. Have a pretty fair working knowledge of how motors work but cannot figure out how bad valve guides/seals could continue to a bubbling radiator? Not questioning your knowledge just looking for some enlightenment.

Beek

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #3583
faustinoeldelbarrio
Faustino

Oddometer: 33
Flow division in tje intake

Today I took off the carb from my 06 lc4A and saw something I had never noticed. Apparently there is s division in the middle of the intake to send separate currents od mixture to each admision valve. What bothers me is that the work doesn't seem as an original feature, it much more looks like a DIY version. Here is a picture of what you see when you look in the direction of the valves (valves appear as bright figures with a copper like color):

I also took down the left light, and noticed there is a spot where a bolt might go, but i am not sure if there should actually be something there. The left light actually has a threaded hole that matches the spot I signaled in red in the next picture:

Anyone has any opinions on these issues?
faustinoeldelbarrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #3584
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,329
Split intake runner is normal.

... Maybe someone did some shad tree porting/polishing, though I've read that the porting and polishing from the factory looks poorly done.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #3585
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by faustinoeldelbarrio View Post
I also took down the left light, and noticed there is a spot where a bolt might go, but i am not sure if there should actually be something there. The left light actually has a threaded hole that matches the spot I signaled in red in the next picture:
Anyone has any opinions on these issues?
My 2002 was exactly the same, the bolt was missing. I bought a second set of headlights on ebay and there is a vibration dampener there. This is the same dampener as the one used in the light support bracket.
I used to run the lights without this dampener and nothing weird happened, I have LED's now so

D.