Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #52936
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
A tip of the hat to all the Idahoans on this forum. I just received a Pro Moto Billet, made in Idaho, kickstand in the mail...what a work of art. Truly beautiful. And by the way, it doesn't fit my XR650L with atmospheric pressurized tires.
Out my driveway and turn left to get to ProMotoBillet... turn right to get to Rekluse If you are in an ADV mood hook another right and there's HappyTrails
However... if you go straight for a couple of hours you run into the "Black helicopters are cumin" crowd
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #52937
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
For those running the Powerbomb header:

It is claimed by FMF that it acts as a pre-muffler. Does it actually do this? Or just hype?
I did not notice an appreciable decrease in exhaust volume when I installed the header (I started out with the Q4 on the OE header). I never measured it though, so it might have made it a bit quieter. Cant say for certain one way or another.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #52938
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
...if you go straight for a couple of hours you run into the "Black helicopters are cumin" crowd
Most of Idaho, outside Boise, falls into that category, Red!

P.S. Are you saying the black helicopters are not coming for us?! Oh...I forgot to say XR650L.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #52939
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Most of Idaho, outside Boise, falls into that category, Red!

P.S. Are you saying the black helicopters are not coming for us?! Oh...I forgot to say XR650L.

Spud
Dont forget about the gubmint database... they know where you are!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #52940
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Laugh First quick street ride with powerbomb and cut air box

I wanted to give some feedback on my results so far with the addition of an FMF powerbomb header and cut airbox to my bike....I know adding a header is a fairly expensive and debated topic, I just wanted to help anybody reading by sharing my experiences so far. I did manage to pick the header up for an awesome price, which helped my decision a little

I'll start out by saying that yesterdays quick ride was pretty windy, compared to my last ride which was pretty much windless. Also I'm still running my 20/50 oil, which is a little thicker in the cold than it was on my last ride which was warmer, and I suspect is robbing me of a few ponies.

Anyway, besides the powerbomb header, and hole I cut on the top right side of the airbox next to the stock opening, here are my other engine performance related mods-
Stock motor
Daves mods
Uni filter
Desmogged
Desnorkeled
Big Gun silencer and mid-pipe
58 pilot/155 main jets
5000ft above sea level

Just a quick warning, if you cut your airbox be prepared to adjust your mixture screw substantially richer, or even possibly having to go up a size on your pilot jet. My pilot is already big for my elevation, and I had to turn my mixture screw from 1/4 turn out to about 3 turns out, just to cure a big flat spot just off idle The hole I added REALLY helped the airflow tho, and definately helped the low end response, and seemed to work very well with the powerbomb.

First thing I noticed when I took the bike for a quick street only ride, is that it winds up through the lower gears quite abit quicker than before the powerbomb, I was needing to shift sooner than before, and the motor wanted to spin up much quicker. The low end throttle response and revability of the bike is noticeably better. I didn't notice as much of a difference in fifth gear tho, but I was fighting a pretty stiff headwind, which I didn't have on the last ride pre-powerbomb. When I did get a small break from the wind it seemed to want to wind up quicker in 5th as well.

I haven't got to hit the dirt yet, but from this ride I think its going to be much snappier and quicker revving in the lower gears, which should add to the off-road fun factor substantially

I haven't changed any jetting or needle settings at all, haven't even opened the carb, all I've done is adjust the mixture screw......with that change alone the bike has no flat spots anywhere, no decel popping, and the same crisp, smooth throttle response all the way up as before the header and cut air box. I did have to richen the mixture screw to the point the idle started dropping some to cure the off idle flat spot, and I've had to raise the idle up so the bike doesn't want to stall coming to a stop.
But with that fixed she runs the same as before, just stronger
Also the powerbomb mellowed the sound out noticeably, just like FMF claimed it would.....that was a nice suprise

Its not a drastic improvement in power, but so far its substantial enough to make me happy......and imo it was worth the money and time

I might be able to get more power if I play with the jetting, but I'm going to run it as for awhile and do a plug reading to see where I'm at jetting wise.

I would recommend opening up the air box with some cutting (I wouldn't go crazy tho) along with adding a header....from the reading I did it supposedly helped, and from the way my bike's responded so far I'm pretty sure the cut air box did help the power gain along with the header.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #52941
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Changes in bikes street handling with fork brace

My bikes suspension has been revalved/resprung, but I still wanted to try and minimize the twisty front forks by installing a RSW fork brace.
I got to take the bike for its first quick street ride with the brace on yesterday.
I didn't get to hit any dirt, but on the street it stiffened the feel and handling up nicely....feels much closer to the USD forks I had on my XR500R ...me likey.
It was a pretty windy day tho, and I did notice that at 75-80 the front end wanted to weave a little, something it never did before the brace.
Anybody have any feedback on this? Just curious if anybody else experienced anything similiar
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #52942
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
bend to fit. all of the busters need it....

ONandOff --bend the bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
DO NOT cut the end off as you will shorten the length of the tube/grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Just flexed mine in and bolted right up...........

B
Thanks everyone, especially Mcma111 for the "DO NOT cut the end off." I started with just a hole in the grip instead of cutting the end off, it looks much nicer that way.
I will post up notes and pics of my "adventure" of putting these on tomorrow.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!

KyoXR screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 03:48 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #52943
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
It was a pretty windy day tho, and I did notice that at 75-80 the front end wanted to weave a little, something it never did before the brace.
Anybody have any feedback on this? Just curious if anybody else experienced anything similiar
yep, it's normal, all the flex in the forks was working as a damper, now with the brace on YOU become the damper as the energy gets transferred.
you get used to it and I think the benefits of the brace outweigh the extra "wag".

I'm sure someone would chime in on "make sure there is no binding and everything is balanced and trued" I did all that but the fact remains that stiffer forks are going to transfer more energy back instead of absorbing/displacing, still a good idea to check everything just in case.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!

KyoXR screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 03:40 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #52944
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
I bought a used 2004 a year or so ago (my 3rd XRL since 1998 ), and it had a Devol lowering link installed along with a kickstand that was hacked shorter. The PO obviously was not a welder...

Anyway, being over 6' tall with long legs and a tendency to keep my feet on the pegs where they belong, I finally got around to removing the lowering link and taking the bike back to stock height in the rear. Now the kickstand is too short (no shit!) and in need of being stretched.

Could someone measure their stock kickstand for me? Just the distance from the center of the pivot bolt to the end of the foot would be good. I know, I could swing by the dealer and measure a new one, but hey - I'm lazy. I might even fab up a larger pad for the stretched one to reduce having to hunt for cool little flat rocks/boards/lizards/etc every time I stop on soft ground.

Thanks in advance!!
I'm 6"3'....my bike came with a Kouba lowering link, the front forks were revalved/resprung and internally lowered to match the rear. The suspension is awesome, except for the fact that the lowering link didn't really lower squat. I still have the stock kickstand, the bike sits fine on it...and I can flatfoot sitting on the bike, but not by much, and I have long legs.

Honestly if I couldn't physically see the lowering link on the bike I wouldn't believe it was lowered at all. The original owner spent alot of time and money for very little lowering imo. Personally I wouldn't bother if you're not going to get a truly meaningful amount of lowering. I still wish it was a little lower yet

Maybe the Kouba links don't lower as much as others? Or maybe a stock xrl is so high that even a 6"3' guy with long legs couldn't flatfoot a stocker

I was at the dealer looking at a new xrl the other day while picking up some parts, I'm going to head back and sit on it to see how high it is compared to mine....kinda curious now
Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #52945
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
We all are though..or we`d be posting in the 500EXC thread

B

You have a point.....the price I paid for my bike with the condition it was in, and the extra's, was awesome......especially compared to the pleasure it gives me. The bang for the buck is completely off the charts
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #52946
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Here's what I heard...

KTM is not buying Husqvarna. Stephan Pierer, CEO of Cross Industries AG (holding company that owns KTM) sold his *personal* 51% owning share of KTM to Bajaj India (which makes KTM a wholly-Indian-owned company)
I wonder how...or if, thats going to affect KTM as far as quality and/or pricing?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #52947
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
if you go straight for a couple of hours you run into the "Black helicopters are cumin" crowd

Sounds messy..

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #52948
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I used a milk crate for awhile until I walked out to the garage one morning and found my bike laying against the riding lawnmower. I had left the bike on it over night and the crate had buckled.
Since then I have used a solid concrete block with a couple 2x4's on top. Works great but is a heavy SOB to move around and I'm tired of having to stoop over or get on my knees to work on the lower part of the bike. The new lift will also double as a nice work bench for my business!
I'm not a Harbor Freight(HF) fan AT ALL but I have seen enough good reviews, on here from folks I know, and HF's website to take a chance. As you can see I also got the better wheel chock instead of the POS that comes with it.

OK, back to drinkin!
Those hydraulic atv/bike lifts are awesome as well, and can be had for around 60 bucks from Harbor frieght. I paid 109 for mine many years ago from Costco....one of the handiest things in my garage. It'll hold my bikes up forever with its locking set-up, and with a couple tie-downs attached you can wheel the bike around the garage while up in the air.
Better to spend the 60 bone than have something makeshift collapse, drop your bike and do many time that amount in damages to stuff

I like peace of mind, I never could sleep well unless I knew things were right in the garage .....I never could trust a milk crate or the like
Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #52949
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
In Texas there is an out in the laws for malfunctioning lights. You must wait through two cycles, indicate your intentions, and run the damm thing if safe to do so.
Are we supposed to be talking about this, I mean it's NON XRL, and all?

If its broke Its gonna be a long wait for the two cycles

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #52950
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
yep, it's normal, all the flex in the forks was working as a damper, now with the brace on YOU become the damper as the energy gets transferred.
you get used to it and I think the benefits of the brace outweigh the extra "wag".

I'm sure someone would chime in on "make sure there is no binding and everything is balanced and trued" I did all that but the fact remains that stiffer forks are going to transfer more energy back instead of absorbing/displacing, still a good idea to check everything just in case.
Thanks Kyo for the feedback I completely trued the forks, and loosened the axle pinch bolts, with the wheel off the ground, before I mounted the brace to remove any chance of binding. Everything is straight and true as can be

Your explanation makes sense tho...the weaving wasn't a prob at all, it was only really noticeable with the wind gusts.....nothing that will affect my ride at all.
I was just curious why the change, I've never actually put a brace on conventional forks before

I can't wait to get her in the dirt