Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1636
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I have run 3 sets of TKC fronts now. I can get about 6,000. Tire pressure is huge for this tire. Low pressure and they will cup fast!
Glad you posted that. I am running 33 lbs. Is that close?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #1637
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Glad you posted that. I am running 33 lbs. Is that close?
Seems about right. Just stay right around what the sticker on the bike says and you'll be good. They wear fast down around 20-25...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #1638
onetire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
So I'm an idiot when it comes to tires. I fell in love with the Michelin T63 tires when I had the BMW G650GS Sertao. But they don't have the stock size for the Tiger 800XC. Would the Michelin T63 130/80-17 rear work on the XC?
I had that tire on the rear of my XC. I changed it after 1200 miles because I was going on a long trip and it would not have gotten another 1000 miles out of it. Cornering was fine at full lean if you didn't get on the throttle too hard.
onetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #1639
GuiltyParty
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post

You know, come to think of it, I don't think mine has done that since I discovered my solenoid was corroded.

Yep, that'll do it
Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1640
TekurRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Tire

I am really sorry if this had been discussed earlier. I tried to search the thread and read as much as I could but the search tool really sucks.

Here's the deal, I got a 2012 T800XC in November and absolutely love the bike. I call her Scarlet . I did my first off road session in Jan having had absolutely no dirt experience. Just loved the experience and would like to continue to do it. Right now the only dirt oriented mod I have done is to install the HT engine guards. Next up will be new sump guard, hand guards and tires. With respect to tires, I guess TKC 80 seems to be the most popular for the front. However I noticed that Michelin T63 seems to have similar thread pattern and is available for a little more than half the cost of TKC 80. Since I will be spending a lot on other mods, unfortunately $ are of much significance. How much of a compromise is it to use a T63 on the tiger? anyone with experience in this regards? Any draw backs? Are there other cheaper alternatives that I need to consider. Or do you think compromising on the Tire is a mistake and I should go for the TKC 80.

Also, regarding hand guards, of course bark busters are the one I want but Twisted Throttle are out of stock and are getting a shipment only in 2nd week of March. I will be going to the noob rally in Death Valley at the end of march. Are there other alternatives to consider? How hard were they put on the Tiger?

I am a total noob so any and all suggestions will be highly appreciated. Again I apologize if these topics were discussed earlier.
TekurRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #1641
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
I am really sorry if this had been discussed earlier. I tried to search the thread and read as much as I could but the search tool really sucks.

Here's the deal, I got a 2012 T800XC in November and absolutely love the bike. I call her Scarlet . I did my first off road session in Jan having had absolutely no dirt experience. Just loved the experience and would like to continue to do it. Right now the only dirt oriented mod I have done is to install the HT engine guards. Next up will be new sump guard, hand guards and tires. With respect to tires, I guess TKC 80 seems to be the most popular for the front. However I noticed that Michelin T63 seems to have similar thread pattern and is available for a little more than half the cost of TKC 80. Since I will be spending a lot on other mods, unfortunately $ are of much significance. How much of a compromise is it to use a T63 on the tiger? anyone with experience in this regards? Any draw backs? Are there other cheaper alternatives that I need to consider. Or do you think compromising on the Tire is a mistake and I should go for the TKC 80.

Also, regarding hand guards, of course bark busters are the one I want but Twisted Throttle are out of stock and are getting a shipment only in 2nd week of March. I will be going to the noob rally in Death Valley at the end of march. Are there other alternatives to consider? How hard were they put on the Tiger?

I am a total noob so any and all suggestions will be highly appreciated. Again I apologize if these topics were discussed earlier.

The T63 is too small for the Tiger. Hell, it's rather too small on my TE630, but it works so well I used them up on it.

A shinko 705, or even better the Fullbore M40 will work on the rear. TKC up front. If you really want a knobby then Kenda BB, or Scorpion Rally. If you can get Mitas the Eo9 would also be good. A K60 rear works well road or dirt, so that's a good choice, although I shy away from the price and the mounting difficulty for flat repairs in the field. The advantage here is you could run a road tire up front with it for hiway, and a TKC with it for more offroad ventures.

Other handguards should work, but can't say right off the top of my head.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #1642
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekurRides View Post
Consider the Tiger1050 hand guards. I've found them very robust and they also give good wind protection. They pretty much bolt straight on.
I also think the Explorer hand guards will fit.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #1643
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Blacktiger - I am caught in the "Bark Buster back order" group. I went with that particular brand because they will work with a Kaoko throttle control. (Kaoko is GREAT to work with!) So Question: 1) Do you think 1050 hand guards would work with a Kaoko? 2) do you have a pic of handguards you can post (or send email via smartphone) so I can see how they mount? Thanks in advance for advice / Assistance. TTFN, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #1644
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Blacktiger - I am caught in the "Bark Buster back order" group. I went with that particular brand because they will work with a Kaoko throttle control. (Kaoko is GREAT to work with!) So Question: 1) Do you think 1050 hand guards would work with a Kaoko? 2) do you have a pic of handguards you can post (or send email via smartphone) so I can see how they mount? Thanks in advance for advice / Assistance. TTFN, j
Oh crickey! I have no idea about the Kaoko thingy so I can't comment about that. All I can say is that the 1050 hand guards, once you bought the whole kit, are pretty much a direct bolt on replacement for the OE XC guards.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=233186
As opposed to
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041

So you've got brackets that use the pivot bolt on the levers. Then they bolt into the end of the bars. It really is that simple.
I don't really have any photos of when I put them onto the standard XC bars other than from the front.

This is from when I'd just finished installing the Renthal bars. I had unique spacers made to suit the handle bar ends.

This one is when I had the Renthals and the 1050 guards on my Scrambler. You can just see that there's two bolts onto the inner bracket which is, I believe, what give the whole assembly better stability. It's what the XC guards are lacking. You can also see that the guards are about 5mm thick. The molded in rib around the middle also adds strength.

That's the best I can do at present.

blacktiger screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:03 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #1645
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Hand Guards

Another set of good guards to consider are the Maier ATV Pro guards. They are especially nice if you've got large hands. I've got them on my KLR, and will be taking my OEM TEX guards off this spring as soon as I find a pair of Maiers for it. I would highly suggest staying away from any guards that are all plastic because they won't stand up to much of a hit...
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #1646
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,548
I just installed some HighwayDirtbike handguards. I got them in the mail 3 days after placing the order.
This is the post I used to order them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8867
I just bought some new M6 bolts to use the stock threads. No problems with my Kaoko throttle lock.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1647
jphish
Studly Adventurer

BlackTiger - ( BigJohn & Robdirt too) Thanks for feed back, options & pics! I'm not certain twisted Throttle will get my order to me before departure (March 20) to Utah - gonna be close. (Hard to believe it takes 2 mos for a set of hand guards? Not like I ordered an AR 15 - Anyway...) So considering other alternatives. It appears the the 1050 guards are much more robust than the OEM 800's - and a buddy has a set available for 'loan', from when he changed guards on his Roadie. I will install around 15th, if BarkBusters don't arrive first. It appears at least from first glance, the 1050 guards would also be compatible with Kaoko. Got about 1200 mi ea way to Moab - and certainly want the throttle control on there. (figure I'll have enough wrist damage on "tigger naps" in Utah) Thanks Gentlemen!, Cheers, j
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #1648
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
BlackTiger - ( BigJohn & Robdirt too) Thanks for feed back, options & pics! I'm not certain twisted Throttle will get my order to me before departure (March 20) to Utah - gonna be close. (Hard to believe it takes 2 mos for a set of hand guards? Not like I ordered an AR 15 - Anyway...) So considering other alternatives. It appears the the 1050 guards are much more robust than the OEM 800's - and a buddy has a set available for 'loan', from when he changed guards on his Roadie. I will install around 15th, if BarkBusters don't arrive first. It appears at least from first glance, the 1050 guards would also be compatible with Kaoko. Got about 1200 mi ea way to Moab - and certainly want the throttle control on there. (figure I'll have enough wrist damage on "tigger naps" in Utah) Thanks Gentlemen!, Cheers, j
Glad to have helped. Enjoy your trip. We do, of course, need/want loads of photos.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #1649
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Will do - actually thinking of helmet cam...just to capture scenery & "naps" for posterity... Thanks again for pics - helpful! TTFN, j
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1650
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Thanks rob, I've been meaning to take measurements for pail at hdb but you've already done it.

How are the mirrors on the tiger? They are a bit small on my husky and I'm thinking I need better on the tiger.