User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #2851
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Lrp

Hey, our LRP made the cover of Cycle World/March issue. Another shootout, CRF, KLX, and WRR. Guess which bike got best bang for the buck?

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween

SAPB screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 08:04 AM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #2852
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

Back to being too cold here to do much. While you were in there, did you notice how the hoses are routed, with regard to stream crossing? I know there's fix on the KLX with a "T" fitting, with another hose going up high, otherwise water gets sucked up that hose. Wondering how deep the water would have to be to in danger of killing it. Anybody been in water? How deep?
Is this a concern on an FI bike?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #2853
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Is this a concern on an FI bike?
Good point, haven't been in there yet to see. If so, the Achilles heal would be the top of the air box then?

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #2854
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I see power commander makes a efi controller for the cbr 250 wondering if it would work on our bike?
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2855
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
[QUOTE=SAPB;20633076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Perforating the lid does work on XR400's, but of course it makes fording deep streams dangerous.

Back to being too cold here to do much. While you were in there, did you notice how the hoses are routed, with regard to stream crossing? I know there's fix on the KLX with a "T" fitting, with another hose going up high, otherwise water gets sucked up that hose. Wondering how deep the water would have to be to in danger of killing it. Anybody been in water? How deep?
I'm talking about sucking water into the air filter assembly. The T fitting business you mention is carburetor specific
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #2856
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Just a heads up... I started a "CRF250L Engine Control Details and Tech thread"

Here's the link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859501

I will add more when I have someone to type for me again...

Thanks and thanks!!! Also, thank you to LostRider and MentalGuru for taking the time to clean up the thread and get it back on topic. I missed it all due to a work deployment and just got back in the USA. It was really taking too much of my time sorting through all the extra gunk going on. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #2857
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

IMG-20120916-00031 by wesocec, on Flickr

My spot on the river.

DirtyBlackIrish screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 01:44 PM
DirtyBlackIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #2858
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

IMG-20120920-00045 by wesocec, on Flickr

Back at the end of this summer when I went out on my second real trail ride. We were taking a break at a road crossing. This was down in the Capitol Forest.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #2859
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

IMG-20120928-00068 by wesocec, on Flickr

Hitting the Frisco Freeze after doing a nice summer on road ride after work.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #2860
JRaye89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Gear

Does anyone mind posting pictures or maybe some tips as to what gear i should wear while riding? I have been wearing jeans, helmet, boots, and gloves. Any tips would be appreciated.
JRaye89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #2861
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaye89 View Post
Does anyone mind posting pictures or maybe some tips as to what gear i should wear while riding? I have been wearing jeans, helmet, boots, and gloves. Any tips would be appreciated.
Please take it to the Equipment subforum.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

cat screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 06:15 AM
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #2862
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaye89 View Post
I agree with Cat .... there's more appropriate areas here on AdvRider for that question. When you get there, do some searching ... but if you do ask provide some detail on what your riding is like .... on road? off road? Dual Sport? Trail? I've found that I like a specific set of gear for each purpose.

Good luck and enjoy your CRF!

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #2863
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
[QUOTE=SAPB;20633076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Perforating the lid does work on XR400's, but of course it makes fording deep streams dangerous.

I have had mine in water probable 3 or more feet deep.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #2864
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=dsn11487;20639703]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

I have had mine in water probable 3 or more feet deep.
That's good to know, thanks!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #2865
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

So, when i got this bike I had so little experience I actually had concerns riding home from the dealer. It went so darned well that I rode another hour or so that evening but had to leave for a flight out so I put it up. All I could think about for the next week was getting back on it.
I did some riding on dirt roads on base and some trails but at the time was really conservative not knowing what to expect. Lucky for me I have a buddy that has a CRF250R and he took me trail riding several times into the capitol forest here in Washington.
I still have many skills to work on and vast room for improvement on those skills but this bike definitely inspires confidence in a new rider. Getting on the highways was really weird at first and it still isn't my preference if it can realistically be avoided.
It's winter here now and although mild still not very hospitable for riding. I decided to get over my fear of riding in the rain and cold with this bike and it was very easy to accomplish. The bike was really more sure footed than I had imagined it would be. That is until I took a wild ride on some ice. I didn't go down or anything but it was close and at about 35mph. Thank God I have been trained to remain calm in high stress environments or who knows what the potential outcome could have been. Now I am more conservative again on what weather and conditions I will ride in.
I must be close if not over the 2000 mile mark so far. Currently it is partially disassembled while I am making some of the mods I have discussed with many of you so far. I am really thankful for this forum and all the contributors that have made so much of this information easier to find and all the advice I have already received that would have taken me a lifetime to acquire on my own. There is just no substitute that could have gotten me to where I am currently with this adventure without you all.
This has definitely been the best purchase of my life!!!!