Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Great report Tabasco and thanks to everyone for their info. I think I'm going with the K60's, probably with the TKC front but maybe just straight K60's. The wear is really important due to the fact that the offloading I do is sometimes hours away. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time on the trails in Northern Maine this summer and can see wearing down a pair of TKC or BB just getting there and back a few times. They are great tires but I think part of the attraction is the cool look of the knobbies but the practicality (is that even a word) for me isn't there yet.

Thanks again for the feedback and keep the info coming...
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
My advice: run an IRC TR8 front tire. Pair it with the Heidenau or a TKC-80 rear, or if you don't need quite the knobby profile on the rear, a Full Bore M-40 (half the price of the others, good longevity, still performs surprisingly well off pavement).

I ran the IRC/Full Bore combo on my XC when I rode the Trans-Lab last August. Worked great, handled well, and wore well. The IRC front tire is slightly more aggressive than the TKC but wears and handles on pavement at least as well.

Pics:

Those last two were taken at the other end of the Trans-Lab -- I was impressed with how well the tires wore. They ended up lasting well past the end of the 4000-mile trip. I'll definitely be going with the IRC front from now on when I need a knobby, not the TKC.

For the record, I've also run a Kenda Big Block front tire, and it was worn out in 3000 miles. It was also prone to headshake on the pavement starting at around 70mph, especially when there was turbulence from cars ahead. I will not be buying another.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014

markbvt screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:14 AM
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but I have a question for you guys about the K60s.

I'm getting pretty bad head shake on my 650 thumper at 75+mph running TKC80s. I've run multiple sets on a Triumph Scrambler and never had any trouble whatsoever, so this has surprised me. I'm not sure if it's due to the lighter nature of the 650, or if I just got a not so great tire. Otherwise I'm thrilled with the cornering, and especially the gravel performance of the TKC.

Are you guys seeing any trouble on the highways with the K60 front?
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Markbtv..... I like that set up and will definitely look them up. On a side note, how'd the Tiger do on the TLH? I'm getting a wide range per tank and noticed you're packing some extra fuel. Did you ever need to tap into those tanks, did you take any side trails/roads while out in the boonies? I was planning on bringing a 1 gallon Rotopax with me, will I be walking out?

Thanks
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but I have a question for you guys about the K60s.

I'm getting pretty bad head shake on my 650 thumper at 75+mph running TKC80s. I've run multiple sets on a Triumph Scrambler and never had any trouble whatsoever, so this has surprised me. I'm not sure if it's due to the lighter nature of the 650, or if I just got a not so great tire. Otherwise I'm thrilled with the cornering, and especially the gravel performance of the TKC.

It shouldnt cause head shake at that speed unless you have full luggage. And its not the weight, its the aerodynamics with the bags on. Thats been my experience.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Here is my experience and break down...

Full knobby front is the only way to go no matter what for any kind of off-road riding.

If you ride fast and hard, have experience off road so you tend to really use your tires to the max- Full knobby is the only way to go.

If you ride moderate speeds and take corners at moderate speeds and don't always push your tire hard- K60's are fine for the back but a full knobby front.

I guess if your out riding just to enjoy life and zip down the gravel roads at 35 mph you can probably run a decent "dual sport" tire and be just fine. Just stay away from rocks, mud, hills, etc.

4,000 mile out of a rear TKC easily. (obviously some more some less, I'd say this is pretty accurate for a Tiger 800)

6,000-8,000 miles out of a front TKC (depending on tire pressure)

Kenda big block wear fast if your running on any kind of tarmac. I've seen maybe 1,000 miles from a rear with 50/50 off-road/ highway.

K60's last a long time.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
Markbtv..... I like that set up and will definitely look them up. On a side note, how'd the Tiger do on the TLH? I'm getting a wide range per tank and noticed you're packing some extra fuel. Did you ever need to tap into those tanks, did you take any side trails/roads while out in the boonies? I was planning on bringing a 1 gallon Rotopax with me, will I be walking out?
The Tiger did great on the TLH. I found that it's happiest at 65-70mph, at which point it became very stable and surefooted on the gravel (except for a sandy section near Mary's Harbour, but luckily that didn't last long).

I definitely had to top off fuel on the stretch between Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Port Hope Simpson (260 miles between gas stations). An extra gallon would probably be fine, but I'd bring the 2 gallon Rotopax if I were you, just in case. (FWIW, in the pic above, the gas can I was carrying on the pillion seat was my friend's; he was having trouble carrying it on his DR-Z, and I had the room, so I hauled it for him.)

--mark

Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I've run several TKC-80 fronts on my XR650L and never had any stability issues. I suspect it's a bad tire, or maybe just out of balance.

FWIW, you too might like the IRC TR8 front tire that I mentioned to the OP.

--mark

Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Quote:

On a bigger bike you will if you run the K60 at low pressure for a long time... Then they wear all funky... If you run 'normal' pressure in them they are smooth for 20K miles... I run 38F 40R all the time on a 1200 ADV bike... ( I guess I have to say in every post, that this has been my and the shops experience with customers tires )
On your bike its probably Aero and weight distribution.. But you might want to play with air pressure a little..
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
My advice: run an IRC TR8 front tire. Pair it with the Heidenau or a TKC-80 rear, or if you don't need quite the knobby profile on the rear, a Full Bore M-40 (half the price of the others, good longevity, still performs surprisingly well off pavement).

I ran the IRC/Full Bore combo on my XC when I rode the Trans-Lab last August. Worked great, handled well, and wore well. The IRC front tire is slightly more aggressive than the TKC but wears and handles on pavement at least as well.

I was impressed with how well the tires wore. They ended up lasting well past the end of the 4000-mile trip. I'll definitely be going with the IRC front from now on when I need a knobby, not the TKC.
This mirrors my experience with the TR8 front. I don't see any reason to run a TKC front, unless you like spending $50 more for less performance.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,153
I put a pair of Karoo's on my Tiger and at 1500 miles, the rear was mostly gone. Still running the last few hundred out of it. May make it to 2000. Going to the K60 or similar tire next on rear and keeping the full knobby on front.
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
1 more thing to add, I run K60s on my G650GS and have had similar experiences to those reported here. I have had the tires on and off the rims a few times and the only real difficulty I have had is getting the bead to "pop" when re-inflating. I have had to seriously lubricate and significantly over-inflate in order to achieve proper seating especially on the front.
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
K-60 scout

I run them now on my Super T

They are a bit louder than trailwings and you can feel the knobbies under 10mph, but man are they an awesome tire.

getting the tires on the bead was very easy

Putting the new k-60s on the rims was a little dishsoap and a quick press by hand, no spoons required.

they have a STIFF sidewall but feel great when on the bike, rain grooves and tar snakes are no problem for these tires at speed and they didnt seem to need the same degree of break in (getting the "New" or release compound off the tire)

real offroad will have to wait until uncles around the bend trip in March

last longer that the BB or the 80's

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #29
2 Dogs
2 Dogs

Oddometer: 91
K60's

I'm lovin the K60's. Under 15 mph, you feel them. Otherwise, they are great. I've run them up to 85 mph with no issues at all. Decent off road

Not so much in packed snow...

2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #30
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Great shots !!!