Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
It always amazes me at the sensitivity of some people with vehicles that they own or had owned. It's like they have made the object into something perfect that cannot have any flaws and will defend any criticism of it needlessly. We all know that all bikes have problems and sometimes comparisons although maybe inaccurate are part of the subject at hand. Anyway, I have a lot of Indian friends that will account for the RE's with an almost part of the family type sentiment and have asked me if I have ever had any experience with them in the states. No matter their flaws they seem to love them and as they state to me that the new ones (in India) are very reliable. I've always wanted to get a diesel RE for the very reason you describe. Simplicity is sometimes worth it's wieght in gold, in my opinion.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #17
bikeosaurus2000 OP
the individualist

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for all the input, folks

I had an opportunity to ride an early '09 AVL Bullet Classic yesterday, and I absolutely loved it! It's a nice light bike with quick steering, spunky pickup, great transmission, the lovely sound of a single cylinder engine, tons of cool retro vibe, and surprise of surprises... I was totally impressed by the effectiveness of its drum brakes, too. I found it a great bike, providing more than enough capability to enjoy years of great rides.

It's a mystery to me why some people are so fixated on hi-tech road rockets which easily out perform every highway restriction in the book, making it more likely that you'll not only rack up a list of traffic violations, but maybe take a trip to the ER, too. Go figure.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I seriously have the feeling that I'll be wheeling a new RE into the garage soon, parking it next to my '09 Ural Gear Up. Woo-Hooooo!

B2k aka Fred
- '09 Ural Gear Up

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!"
- M. Jagger
bikeosaurus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #18
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,957
Now I really want one.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I have a 2007 Bullet 500, which has the earlier "iron" engine.I bought it about a year and a half ago in December. The bike has been fine.I have two other motorcycles also, so it doesn't have high mileage. Its at about 2300 miles.It sounds great, looks great, is a load of fun to ride-even though it is not fast.It can cruise fine up to about 50 mph, which I consider about the limit for a cruising speed on my bike.Mine shifts quite well, starts really easily with the kick starter, and I don't use the electric start unless I stall in traffic.Gas mileage varies from mid sixties to into the eighties.You can check the valve clearance in maybe thirty seconds, once you've done it once.Although it will take a bit longer if it needs adjusting.The bike is very comfortable, handles well, and gets a lot of attention. One day I took about a 40 mile ride and stopped at a Starbucks for coffee when it started raining and I didn't bring my rain gear.Three different guys seperately stooped to look at the Bullet. Two of them came inside and searched me out to ask me about the bike.I told each about the history on Royal Enfield, and told them where the dealer was (Vinces in Olympia, Wa. USA) etc.
The older Bullets are not freeway bikes. The newer ones are faster and maybe freeway useable.

jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
wantok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Thumb Enfields

I've got 2 mates who are real Enfield fans, having owned a number over the years & doing many staggeringly long trips on them around Australia. They both now have the updated models (efi etc) & these are proving to be pretty bulletproof. They're a more practical day to day ride, but some think they don't have quite the restored classic look of the earlier iron heads but hey, more power, better suspension & brakes etc can't be a bad thing?
Cheers
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #21
lfmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
[quote=Mad*Sparrow]It always amazes me at the sensitivity of some people with vehicles that they own or had owned. It's like they have made the object into something perfect that cannot have any flaws and will defend any criticism of it needlessly. We all know that all bikes have problems ...quote]

I agree with you 100% that all bikes have flaws. All I'm saying is that 99.9% of the time, people talk about Harleys flaws and ignore the flaws with Hondas, BMWs, Kawasakis and other bikes. Harleys aren't perfect, but it's not 1974 anymore either when dealers put cardboard under the bikes in the showrooms to sop up leaking oil. I'm not looking to get in a pissing contest, I just want to set the record straight. Also, most of the time it's someone who's never owned or sat on a Harley doing the jawin'. It always starts out, "Well I had a friend that had a Harley and ...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad*Sparrow
comparisons although maybe inaccurate are part of the subject at hand.
The subject was Royal Enfields.

Can't we all just get along??
lfmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I loved mine

I had a 1994 350 Enfield bullit for about 8 years and loved it. No it was not reliable, well that's not true . You could rely on it breaking down. You should get one for sure.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,908
They seem to dress up nice too..... the new concept bullet.

my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #24
Northern Dog
Gnarled up Northerner

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle
They seem to dress up nice too..... the new concept bullet.

oOoOoOoOo .... me likey!!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #25
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
From the same source (Oberdan Bezzi) is his Scrambler concept:

Put me on the list for that one

Once Rhodie has amended his Triumph Scrambler rear caliper mount to move it atop the swingarm

My Ride Reports

rallybug screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 02:44 AM
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
jazscam
Rider

Oddometer: 192
When I was in india I went to the RE factory. They said in India, one of their largest markets, the bikes overheats a lot. Mainly due to it being unbelievable hot there.

When taken to a cooled climate, like Canadian or the USA they are very reliable (from the manufacturer).

Happy 4th of July.

"I Detest What You Say, But I Will Fight to the Death to Preserve Your Right to Say It."
jazscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
MCrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
any long term updates?
MCrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
Media
livin' in overtime

Oddometer: 95
So far - so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrider View Post
any long term updates?
2012 Bullet Classic,
little over 13k and no serious problems.

What you see is what you get.

"a motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth,
because of its logical extension of our faculties,
and the hint, the provocations, to excess."
--T.E. Lawrence

“I will only smoke one cigar...............at a time.”
--Mark Twain
Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #29
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 394
So far so good with mine. Broken battery connector this past Monday, but a ten-minute fix. It's a 2011 EFI model... Fun commuter, and gets a lot of attention - probably too much.

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
lemming
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelwik View Post
So far so good with mine. Broken battery connector this past Monday, but a ten-minute fix. It's a 2011 EFI model... Fun commuter, and gets a lot of attention - probably too much.

Same bike as mine, 2011 B5 EFI. Have 12.5k on the clock now, 5k of those are with me. Daily commuter, 70 miles per day, and the only foibles thus far have been of my own doing. With regular, normal maintenance, she runs beautifully day in and day out. Knock on wood. She won't win any races, but sure does make driving legal speeds a hoot!

2011 Royal Enfield Bullet B5
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote