Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,140
the last part of your info is wrong mcoyboy

late model xrs are 91 and up

88-90 shocks are also difrerent from 87 and down which are longer...

I have pics and measurements on my rebuld thread so you can compare...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Little Faus
Little Faus

Oddometer: 48
15 inches eye to eye.

2008 HONDA XR650L
2004 SUZUKI VSTROM 650
1979 BMW R65
Little Faus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #18
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
93-94 xr650l shock is 14.5 inches eye to eye and a 46mm shock body.
95-current 650l shock is 14.88 inches eye to eye and a 46mm shock body.
All xr600 late model shocks 1989/90 on are 15 inches eye to eye and they are ALL 44mm shock bodies.

The difference in part numbers can be as easy as a small valving change. I haven't had one of the earlier model 650l shocks apart but I'm guessing they used a top out spring which caused the shock to have a shorter eye to eye till spring preload was added.
No top out spring, good thought though. I concur about the part number differences. My original 93 shock measures at 14 3/4 (14.8), looks more like 11/16. What are you guys using to measure that spits out tenths? (14.88?) Yes I can convert, just wondering.

Just so you all know, I appreciate the input. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or try to showoff my knowledge, just looking for some facts.
This question has produced more shock lengths than the 2 that some say exist. My shock is supposed to be 14.5 and isn't. I have also been given a 15" measured length on a later model.

Thanks

Lost on Row 1 screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:45 AM Reason: I get wordy.
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

guys 88 to 90 shocks are not 44mm...mmk?

91 and up are...
xrl shoks are46mm like steve said...

cutoff years are 1987, and 1990(model year changes)

my 88 shock looked longer because it had a narrower spring...however the advantages of getting a revalved xrl shock on my xr is that the piston is bigger and the valving can be made to work awesome...also more fluid equals less fatigue.

thats the reason I opted for this mod, thanks to steves help...xrl shocks can be found in better condition as well, albeit more expensive

finding a good condition late model piggyback xr600 shock is hard as most get abuses and suffer from rod and pistin damage...

anyways to answer your question op you can put any piggyback late model xr600 shock, even an xr400 shock on your xrl.

the older style xr600 shocks will need some modding or fabbing up to fit...

some xr600 shocks have differente lower mounts, i,e early dual carb xr600 and will almost be impossibe to fit, not to mention they are longer at around 16plus inches

cheers and good luck

I would revalve your xrl shock, and respring if needed...

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,697
Might it be easier to revalve and re-spring? Seems the Race Tech Gold Valve is relatively inexpensive for that shock.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We may have missed the trail here. I need a shock, just for a 1993 XR650L. The question is does anyone have experience with lengths of the shocks of the XR650L. Some say they have 2 different lengths, I just wanted to be sure before I purchase a shock.'

Revalve and fluid changes are the way to go, but only if the shock is good and not too long.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

read...

any xrl shock will work...with varying lengths...doesnt matter really...

as will any 91 and up piggyback xr600 shock

cant help you with anymore info...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
read...

any xrl shock will work...with varying lengths...doesnt matter really...
My definition of what "fits" is what is right, correct or even better. It really does matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
cant help you with anymore info...
Well, that's OK, thank you for trying.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

what do you mean what right?

93 xrls have a shorter shock, 96 and above have a slightly longer shock...what else is there to know?

if your fat use the longer shock if your skinny like me use the shorter one

I mean comon!

steve gave you the answers on the first page

thats what I meant by my last post...

hope you get it al sorted out...the answers are all here

Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,401

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #26
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fair enough, While Steve did provide good info, I wanted to know if the later model shock was in fact longer. All I was looking for was someone who knew from experience. Steve may have the knowledge, I don't know. My original 1993 shock measures 14 3/4 (14.8), the one that is supposed to be 14.5.

I just wanted some facts, and to get to the shocking truth. I don't want this to spring back onto me and dampen my enthusiasm to be a part of the forum. I will take the info I have and suspend my inquires.

I do not want to argue with someone who was trying to help me. I appreciate the info I got, I really do.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

hey my bad dude, now I feel bad

here are some pics that might give you that last bit of help you need

lastly how are your measuring, from center of eye to center of eye and what are you using to measure?

the shocks are all so close in measured length eye to eye that the discrepancy your are seing mught simply be from how you are measuring versus published lenghts...

check this out:

this pic is deceiving...they are exactly the same overall length notice the eye to eyes on the bottom of the shocks...the red shock looks longer because the spring is in fact longer, whereas the spring on the xrl shock is massive.

revalved(hitchock racing) xrl shock:

new shock in 88 frame xr600:

old 88 shock:

the difference in length is so subtle I did not notice any change in seat height, the advanteges of a revalved and bigger shock for me outweigh any other differences in actual sizing...

you would be fine with any XRL shock..get the best deal you can find...the difference in leb¿ngth between an old style shorter and a new style longer can be fixed with the spring collar tension and in my view with no adverse effects.

wish you well

join the xrl forum and the xr600 forums too for further info

christian
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post

I just wanted some facts, and to get to the shocking truth. I don't want this to spring back onto me and dampen my enthusiasm to be a part of the forum. I will take the info I have and suspend my inquires.
No reason to feel bad. We are good, I was so busy trying to be Pun-nie, I didn't pay attention to how pitiful it sounded. The pictures help very much and you have gone above and beyond. Thank you. I may have been more interested in the shock lengths than I should have been. Again thanks to all, Little Faus has bailed me out with a great price on what sounds like a good shock. Could not have done so without the help of this site.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
Lost on Row 1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just some more info on the shock lengths for XRL's. Kouba tech help said they are not aware of any differences in lengths for all years.