Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #76
pmfonten
Baytown, TX

Oddometer: 35
Thanks for the trip

Chuck,

Since I may not be able to post any messages after tonight. I wanted to thank you and Joe for taking us across South America with you each country by country and mile by mile. It has been a true experience following you and him both to the end of the world. I can't wait to ride in George's new car before the bank takes it back.
Cheers,

Paul
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #77
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmfonten View Post
Chuck,

Since I may not be able to post any messages after tonight. I wanted to thank you and Joe for taking us across South America with you each country by country and mile by mile. It has been a true experience following you and him both to the end of the world. I can't wait to ride in George's new car before the bank takes it back.
Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, Paul. It's been challenging at times but fun too. If things work out tomorrow, I hope to be able to keep it going all the way back to Houston. But if I do make it back, I'm going to avoid George because I think he'll be looking for someone he can put the touch on. Hope you can get that ride but watch your wallet.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #78
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

Ushuaia, At the End of the World - 12/21
We got up around our usual early time of 9:30 a.m. because weíre going to ride to the end for the end. As can be expected it is raining and cold but weíve got a mission so nothing is going to get in our way. With high anticipation we head for the park where the road ends. We hope we are in time but are well aware that the end can come at any time. We arrive at the park gate and find that they are still charging a fee to get in. Donít they realize that in but moments the money will mean nothing. The young female attendant should probably be home with family but she seems unaware of whatís coming.

We quickly ride into the park and go to the end of the road. There are a few cars in the parking lot and we pass them and proceed to ride up to where we can park our bikes in front of the EOW sign. A few photos later a couple of park rangers pass by and inform us that we are not to be parked by the sign, past a set of posts that keep the cars out. But, what does it all matter when it will all be gone in a short while.

We move our bikes and walk the path to where it ends. We stand there in the cold rain and gaze out at the distant fog and wonder if something will materialize out of the fog and begin the process of consuming everything that is. But, nothing seems to happen. The wind picks up and it grows colder and sleet starts to fall. I know that the process must have started and then the wind calms and the sleet stops. Now is it timeÖ.we wait, but nothing happens. Finally we decide that our timing is off and it may come later today. I feel that it will probably be when the full moon is at itís apex over the Mayan Empire. It will start there and radiate out until all is consumed. We have a couple of bottles of wine back at the hostel so we head back and begin to prepare ourselves for the night.

Mr Fox came out on the road as I neared the end. Perhaps he knows something is up. He circles me and then goes back into the woods to wait. Maybe if I return he will talk to me.

Here we are at the End of the World. We made it and even congratulate ourselves.

The view at the End of the World before the End of the World.

Joe puts on his best face, but I think the disappointment of the end not unfolding before our eyes shows through.

I keep waiting and checking my watch but nothing is happening. We've come so far and now can only wait.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #79
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Well done! Congratulations!

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #80
GHT
Weeee Rider!!!

Oddometer: 162
Thumb

Maybe it was because you guys were there, that the world did not end! Think about that for a minute.......
Congratulations !!!!
'03 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400SM/S (sold) '06 Suzuki M50 (sold) '05 Kawasaki KLR (sold)
GHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #81
jmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHT View Post
Maybe it was because you guys were there, that the world did not end! Think about that for a minute.......
Congratulations !!!!
That sounds about right, the the DUO messed up something else! Hey Chuck, could you do a better job of keeping Joe away from them WMTs (Weapons of Mass Transportation) on the way home? Y'all have fun

Jeff
jmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #82
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post
That sounds about right, the the DUO messed up something else! Hey Chuck, could you do a better job of keeping Joe away from them WMTs (Weapons of Mass Transportation) on the way home? Y'all have fun

Jeff
I think you a George have got it right. Joe and I can screw up the end of the world.

Thanks for your comments and I'll try and keep Joe in line.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #83
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

Puerto Natales, Chile - 12/23
Having given up on the world ending, we left Ushuaia yesterday and headed north. Last night we were in Cerro Sombrero at the only place to stay for many miles. Not the greatest place to stay but they made up for it by charging high prices. We stayed there because it is where the pavement starts and only about 25 miles from the ferry that goes north from Terra del Fuego to the mainland. Tonight we are in Puerto Natales where we will catch another ferry tomorrow evening for a three day trip up north to Puerto Montt.

For the most part our bikes have been running very well and outside of the fork seals failing back in Peru we have only had little nuisance problems with systems that we installed. We have a new problem now that we are going to have to get taken care of before we can ride to Buenos Aires, Argentina. We noticed that our chains have need a lot of adjusting and last evening Joe found that his is adjusted as far as it will go. What seems to have happened is the seals probably gave out from all the mud and grit that has been thrown on them and we’ve got metal to metal wear inside the links.

We found a local motorcycle mechanic here in Puerto Natales and he gives Joe’s bike less than 1,000 kilometers before the chain fails. Mine is a little better but I don’t want to push it either because we have a lot of miles to do and a schedule to make for Buenos Aires. The mechanic says to come see him tomorrow and he will call a place where we can get the work done in Osorno at Motoaventura http://MotoAventura.cl . They are a BMW dealer as well as moto rental place and stock chain and sprocket kits for KTMs. Hopefully everything will fall into place and Christmas eve and Christmas will not slow things down too much. One of the problems we have here is we need 525 chains and all they have are 520’s. Some other problems are small towns, no internet listings for mechanics or parts and some shortcomings in our mastering of Spanish.

Only a 30 minute crossing and so calm we didn't even have to tie the bikes down.

Cisco_k screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 03:17 PM
Cisco_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #84
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
: Well done, fellers.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #85
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

After about a month away from the blog, I'm back and working to bring it up to date. Joe and I are currently in Aracaju, Brazil. Text and captions will follow shortly.

Christmas Eve and time to board the ferry.

It's not a pretty boat, but it is pretty large.

It had three decks for vehicles. There were even cattle trucks like the one in the middle.

The sights in the inside passage were great.

The views continued for three days.

There was even a glacier that came right down to the water.

That's not snow. That's ash from a volcano eruption near the pass where we went from Chile to Argentina.

The amount of ash increased as we crossed into Argentina.

At the top of the pass it looked like a snow field.

The ash went on for miles.

Where we rode through Uruguay we saw mostly fields of crops and range land. Few houses and fewer people.

Paraguay was much the same as far as crops and pastures were concerned but it did have several small towns.

Iguazu Falls at the Devels Throat - Looking from Argentina side to Brazil.

Looking down river. Argentina on the left and Brazil on the right.

Argentina looking up river.

Joe getting a wash in the tour boat below the falls.

Rinopolis church on the square and our new friends.

The vice mayor on the left and the mayor on the right.

One of the chicken coops. The water is sprayed to keep the coops cool.

And the hens just keep on laying.

The eggs are moved on belts

Those stacks would make a lot of scrambled eggs if the forklift driver screwed up.

One of the egg cleaning and sorting machines being assembled.

The regulars plus the owner of the company that makes the egg processing machines.

The start of the traditional Brazil barbacue.

Some more of the folks at the barbacue.

There was even some pool time.

A final shot of what was left of the crowd.

The Cafe/Bakery/Hotel and the brothers that own it.

One of the Sertao Riders met us in Feira de Santana where our new friend took us to meet his 'uncle'.

Us and the president of the Estradeiros Moto Grupo in Santo Amaro.

The beach at Aracaju where we are staying for a few days before going to Joao Pessoa.

For us about all there is to do is sit under one of the umbrellas, have a beer and eat.

Cisco_k screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 07:35 AM Reason: Add photos and text
Cisco_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #86
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
Venezuela?

Hey guys, nice to see you posting again.

If you plan on coming to Venezuela, let me know so that I can give you some heads up about the border crossing and some important tips for saving a LOT of money (so you are not ripped with the exchange)

Have a great trip
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #87
smeghead
b00b

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco_k View Post
The start of the traditional Brazil barbacue.
Is it just me or does the chicken processing machine company owner bear a striking resemblance to Bernie? Why is he the only guy always wearing sunglasses?
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #88
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 785
It is great to see ya'll with the TDF sign. I was just telling someone the other day how I met these crazy old dudes at a dirt bike class who had not only heard of Ushuaia but was planning to go there.

Congrats on completing a plan. That is absolutely amazing.

I would have placed money on the fact that one of you would have killed the other by the end of the road

If you are ever riding through the middle of the country, you have a place to stay in Kansas City.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #89
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

Perhaps that is Bernie. He looks the same in all the photos that we both have of him...day and night. He never changes in a facebook link I have too.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #90
Cisco_k OP
Chuck

4/19/2013
We are currently on a ferry on our way from Belem Brazil to Macapa Brazil. The voyage takes 24 hours and goes along several of the many fingers of the Amazon River. As the river approaches the Atlantic Ocean it has formed many large and small islands and the ferry has to navigate around them to cross. Most of the passengers are sleeping on hammocks that are strung on two main decks. We opted for a two person cabin with an air conditioner. The room is tiny with one bunk and a small head. The cabin got very cool at night because the air conditioner is either on or off with not temperature control. But, it was better than being on the deck. The views of the river have been interesting although it has rained most of the time and we couldnít look outside because the crew puts tarps down over the sides of the boat to keep the sleeping areas dry. To look out one has to go outside where it is raining. We have until the 22nd of April to exit Brazil as our bikes had only a 90 day permit and they have been here almost that long. We didnít plan to stay so long but there have been delays in our journey due to family emergencies of mine, but we are on our way again now. We both spent from mid February until April 10th back in the USA. While it would have been kind of easy to stay in the comforts of home, we both wanted to finish the journey that we have started.
Our plans are to be in French Guyana on the 22nd of April and then continue across to Suriname, then Guyana, back into Brazil which will connect us with Venezuela and finally ride to Bogota, Colombia where we can fly the bikes and us to Panama City, Panama where we will be able to then ride back to our homes in Texas. As we see it from the maps and other ride reports, to make it across to where we enter Brazil again, we will have three or four other river crossings by small boats. We have about 100 miles of unpaved road, out of 350 or so miles, between Macapa and the French Guiana border. Much of the road on to Brazil is paved but there will still be a few hundred miles that are unpaved. This being a rain forest climate, Iím wondering just what we will find as far as roads for two wheels.

After being on the road so long we will probably not spend a lot of sight seeing time. We do plan to see the French Space Port and the Panama Canal locks. Other than those two definite sights, we will pick things up as we go.

I still have several photos to post and text to add about our journey and I will work on that more in the next several days. What I can still say is that the people that we have met along the way have all be as friendly and helpful as one could ever hope to find. We spent so much time getting up and across Brazil that there wasnít a lot of new information to add about borders and ride type information that would give heads up information to other riders. Once in the country it is pretty much deciding upon where one wants to go and going there. Our biggest problem is not being able to speak Portuguese because our limited Spanish is not much good and we have a very hard time talking to anyone. Not many people speak English and travelers need to take that into consideration for such simple things as asking directions, ordering food or finding accommodations.

We made it to the port in Santana a little past noon. There is not a lot in Santana so we rode to the Hotel Macapa and checked in for the night. Being tired of cookies and cereal, we went across the street to an open air restaurant on the Amazon River where they had an all you can eat buffet for only 10 Reals, or $5.00 US. We ate a very good meal of various meats, cooked right there, rice and beans and a few other extras. We came back to the room and will be getting ready to leave early in the morning and plan on two days to get to the border. We will ride all the paved road tomorrow and save the unpaved for the following day. While we have internet here, it is not too good and Iím not going to try and upload photos.