Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
your doing a lot of work and its looking good. I wouldn't use that cylinder with that big gouge in it like that. I know you said you can barely feel it with your fnger nail but, it looks like it is a couple of thousandths deep and that is too much for my taste.

I know the delima about not wanting to buy a new piston. The slug in my xl500 had a bit of a scuff mark and I really wanted to just put new rings in it and put it back together. It was just a tad more than I was comfortable overlooking and now I'm glad I popped for a new piston and a bore job. The way the rest of my restoration job is coming along I am now glad I will have a 100% top end to math the rest of the bike.

Don't forget to check your valve spring lengths.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
your doing a lot of work and its looking good. I wouldn't use that cylinder with that big gouge in it like that. I know you said you can barely feel it with your fnger nail but, it looks like it is a couple of thousandths deep and that is too much for my taste.

I know the delima about not wanting to buy a new piston. The slug in my xl500 had a bit of a scuff mark and I really wanted to just put new rings in it and put it back together. It was just a tad more than I was comfortable overlooking and now I'm glad I popped for a new piston and a bore job. The way the rest of my restoration job is coming along I am now glad I will have a 100% top end to math the rest of the bike.

Don't forget to check your valve spring lengths.
I did some "agressive" honing to the cylinder and the gouge is all but gone. I measured it at work with a micrometer and there is no difference in bore diameter where the scratch was. You can still see where it was but can no longer feel it. I'm comfortable running it at this point as it measures within spec.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Got the top clamp and the dash installed. Things are going a bit slower now that I'm waiting for parts.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Nice work. I love seeing an old bike brought back.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
heart_of_darkness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Looking at the wear pattern in the exhaust valve, it looks to be skewed slightly. I also got a used XL250 with a backwards piston, and also thought the valves were okay despite indentations on the piston, until I chucked the valves in a lathe and immediately saw the bent-ness.
heart_of_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Just a quick update with no pictures :(

I noticed that the right side crank bearing was not turning and the crank was turning inside the bearing. I split the cases to investigate and found alot of chunked aluminum. Nothing damaged inside the cases so I figure it was left there when the PO did the top end. The result is that alot of the transmission bearings and the crank bearings are FUBARed. Had to order a flywheel puller and will head down to the local bearing supply this week. Things are moving slowly at the moment but once the engine is sorted out and the rest of the parts show it its gonna be go time.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #22
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Keep them coming, enjoying your progress, old is cool.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
Keep them coming, enjoying your progress, old is cool.
I'll have some more interesting posts with photos soon. Just need to get all my parts sorted out.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Cliff Young
Grandad

Oddometer: 3
I am doing one too :)

I just bought a 1987 XR250R to ride Hare Scrambles on. I rode my 1974 TY250 in the scrambles a couple times and wore out the rear brake past the adjustment earlier this year on the 4th lap on a 1/4 mile downhill (we have some rather large hills here). Had to lay it down and re-adjust the brake. Then I rode my 2001 Montesa 315R in the afternoon Super Senior C class. The lack of a seat, very little damping, or travel for that matter of a modern trials bike made for a LOONG painful hour and a half. Decided to get something more in line with trying to chase the other old guys around the woods.

Its in a bit better shape than your XL however some people should not be allowed to buy tools. One fork cap nut was round and well bitten by vise grips, a fork seal had been leaking so long that the entire caliper was covered in oily gunk, the rotor was covered in a sticky tarry mess, the pads were sintered however, new and cleaned up well with Brake Clean. The top bolt on each side of lower triple clamp had been broken off, drilled out, and American Standard bolts cross threaded into the holes, The front caliper carrier bracket top bolt hole is stripped, the bottom hole is only half there, part of the casting is broken off.
( If anyone has a front caliper bracket they could spare, I could use one, I have not been able to find one yet, Honda has discontinued it)

The motor is strong, only a light click from the valves at idle, but a bit more noisy at a couple thousand RPM. The motor does not appear to have ever been apart. I put new oil and dust seals and fork boots in the forks last Sunday, got the bits of broken bolt out of the bottom triple tree, luckily the holes were ok to tap and heli coil.

I did not take pics of the fork rebuild, but as I am going to put cartridge emulators in soon I will take some of the mod.

I had not ridden for 30 years until I bought a rusty old TY250A for $150.00 a couple years ago and got it running. I am going to attempt to do all of the work myself on this bike and would appreciate any tips or advice. I fell in love with the bike already and want to make it reasonably decent to compete on.

I have to build another shed this weekend as I built the present one for lawn tools only and there is a TY250, a TY80, and a 01 Montesa in there. This motorcycle thing is addictive........
Cliff Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #25
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Got the handlebar setup complete. Installed the handguards and folding mirrors. The Tusk hardguards are pretty trick with the integrated signal lights. MSR folding mirrors complete the look.

I also picked up some 50/50 tires off the local Kijiji classifieds. 3 Brand new Kenda K270 tires for the cost of one. Looks like I've got free spares

Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

I`ve got a rolling chassis! Lots of work done on the forks and front wheel. More to come as usual......

Old 02-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #27
RatchRacing OP
Adventurer

Got my new seat cover and had one hell of a time mounting it up.

Then I took a break from the Honda to look over the KTM and get it rolling for spring. Needs some wheel bearings and chain sliders. Decided it would be a good time to clean and grease the swingarm bearings as well, they have not been apart since I bought the bike and greased them up in '09. Still looking like new though. A little new bike prep goes a long way to keep everything working A1. No seized pivot bolt, woohoo!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
DomR8699
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question i just bought an 87 XL250R project

how is the project comming along?? i am about to start tearing mine apart... i dont have much $$ for parts so i am going to replace/rebuild only what is needed for now, then work on the wants later in the build.

i know the first thing i need do is rebuild top end, it currently seaps oil when it is runing. then i will also clean the carb out to get her running smoother.

i need to find some parts for this project also. first parts i need are
headlight (missing)
spedo/tach (missing)
left side controlls (missing)
new front break (does not work)
new grips (NFG)
clutch lever/cable (i beleive it has a bike break instead)
new FRONT fender/wheel cover (burnt from exhaust)

if you know a good place to find any of the above or if you have an old part not in use please message me i will gladly take them off your hands.
cheers
DomR8699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
mr.ajandkj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Subscribed...

Working on a bit of restoration on my '84 XL250R myself...mines in rideable shape but i am working at getting it back to being street legal. Adding signals, ignition switch, mirrors, and some other goodies onto it. Would like to find a rear fender as my plastic got cracked, but no luck so far.
mr.ajandkj is offline   Reply With Quote