ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #121
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Selling the Passat this past fall was one of the great joys of my life. Spent the next week walking around with a silly smirk, while singing "Happy Trails to you" under my breath. Fuck VW now and forever. If they dropped a free new VW product in my driveway, it would be on Craigslist as soon as I had the title in hand. It wouldn't even gain an additional 1/10 on the odometer, as the only reason to even start the thing would be to move it out of the way. In case I forgot to mention, FUCK VW, and for all of you fools that get all drooly over their latest pieces of shit, you deserve the fate that awaits. Little like falling in love with a psyco who did time for stabbing their ex, then being suprised when you end up with a knife in you. "Car of the year" until it's 4-5 years old, spending lots of time on the roll back, and generating four figure repair bills on a regular basis............... "But it has such soul, other cars feel like lifeless appliances compared to my new VW" BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAA. The dark side awaits.

BTW, the "Service position" ( for those that lack the guts and skills to rip into one of these fucking nightmares with a scan tool in one hand, and a wrench in the other) is actually facing away from the mechanic, hands firmly gripping ankles. Try to relax while being serviced, there is no crying in German car ownership.
Another satisfied customer folks....

What generation was it??...

I'm gonna guess B5 or 5.5... more emphasis on the B5 though...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #122
TooFast
Studly Adventurer
 
TooFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 630
Last decent VW built was the Beetle

Probably because there was no PS,PB,PL,PW,AC,KE,HVAC FAN,ELECTRIC SEATS,VACUUM OPERATED HVAC CONTROLS,WINSHIELD WASHER PUMP,OIL FILTER,ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP, INJECTORS, ANYTHING ELECTRONIC

Probably missed a few things...can't break what you don't have

TooFast screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 08:59 AM
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #123
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Selling the Passat this past fall was one of the great joys of my life. Spent the next week walking around with a silly smirk, while singing "Happy Trails to you" under my breath. Fuck VW now and forever. If they dropped a free new VW product in my driveway, it would be on Craigslist as soon as I had the title in hand. It wouldn't even gain an additional 1/10 on the odometer, as the only reason to even start the thing would be to move it out of the way. In case I forgot to mention, FUCK VW, and for all of you fools that get all drooly over their latest pieces of shit, you deserve the fate that awaits. Little like falling in love with a psyco who did time for stabbing their ex, then being suprised when you end up with a knife in you. "Car of the year" until it's 4-5 years old, spending lots of time on the roll back, and generating four figure repair bills on a regular basis............... "But it has such soul, other cars feel like lifeless appliances compared to my new VW" BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAA. The dark side awaits.

BTW, the "Service position" ( for those that lack the guts and skills to rip into one of these fucking nightmares with a scan tool in one hand, and a wrench in the other) is actually facing away from the mechanic, hands firmly gripping ankles. Try to relax while being serviced, there is no crying in German car ownership.
So, you're saying it wasn't a fully satisfying ownership experience?
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #124
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Another satisfied customer folks....

What generation was it??...

I'm gonna guess B5 or 5.5... more emphasis on the B5 though...
'03 1.8T Manual
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #125
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
So, you're saying it wasn't a fully satisfying ownership experience?
Yugo reliability, Mercedes repair costs, and less residual value than a Chevy Cavalier.... what's not to love?
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #126
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Eastern Yurp
Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
'03 1.8T Manual
Ah, yes, the early noughties, the dark days of VW... All VW/Audis from that era should be scrapped as road hazards.

Also, the 1.8T was a shitheap.
UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #127
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Selling the Passat this past fall was one of the great joys of my life. Spent the next week walking around with a silly smirk, while singing "Happy Trails to you" under my breath. Fuck VW now and forever. If they dropped a free new VW product in my driveway, it would be on Craigslist as soon as I had the title in hand. It wouldn't even gain an additional 1/10 on the odometer, as the only reason to even start the thing would be to move it out of the way. In case I forgot to mention, FUCK VW, and for all of you fools that get all drooly over their latest pieces of shit, you deserve the fate that awaits. Little like falling in love with a psyco who did time for stabbing their ex, then being suprised when you end up with a knife in you. "Car of the year" until it's 4-5 years old, spending lots of time on the roll back, and generating four figure repair bills on a regular basis............... "But it has such soul, other cars feel like lifeless appliances compared to my new VW" BWAAAAAAAAAHAAAA. The dark side awaits.

BTW, the "Service position" ( for those that lack the guts and skills to rip into one of these fucking nightmares with a scan tool in one hand, and a wrench in the other) is actually facing away from the mechanic, hands firmly gripping ankles. Try to relax while being serviced, there is no crying in German car ownership.
Worst case for the next 6 years is it goes to the shop which is a mile down the road and I get a free rental. I'm not too worried....and will probably trade it before that.

My local independent shop is closed for good so now that I've got no trustworthy place to bring a car in the immediate area I'll probably be sticking to vehicles under warranty, at least for cages. You need at least one form of transportation you don't need to worry about.

But the B7 is a new car built specifically for America VS your Passat, the only big issue I've seen are TDI turbos and that's based on complaints posted VWVortex so who knows what the actual percentage of turbo failures are, but the 5 cyl looks to be reliable.

I gotta say living with it for a month now it's just a great daily driver. Very comfortable, the engine has enough power so in most cases there's no need to downshift, and agile enough to go into the city (a lot easier than the Dodge Charger was even though it's only about a 1-2 inch different in width).
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #128
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
Ah, yes, the early noughties, the dark days of VW... All VW/Audis from that era should be scrapped as road hazards.

Also, the 1.8T was a shitheap.
Yep... dark days indeed...

I thought the 1.8 was the only redeeming feature of this generation... seems that the horrors were derived from electrics & accessories constantly on the fritz...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #129
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Yugo reliability, Mercedes repair costs, and less residual value than a Chevy Cavalier.... what's not to love?
That's my only real downside to buying this car VS the Accord, though with the huge boost in sales of the new Passat/Jetta I'm hoping that helps to boost the resale value. Plus at least locally there are VW's everywhere.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #130
TooFast
Studly Adventurer
 
TooFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
Ah, yes, the early noughties, the dark days of VW... All VW/Audis from that era should be scrapped as road hazards.

Also, the 1.8T was a shitheap.

Thought most of them were wrecked due to sticky throttles...toyota hired that engineer
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #131
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
Yugo reliability, Mercedes repair costs, and less residual value than a Chevy Cavalier.... what's not to love?


well put....
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #132
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
That's my only real downside to buying this car VS the Accord, though with the huge boost in sales of the new Passat/Jetta I'm hoping that helps to boost the resale value. Plus at least locally there are VW's everywhere.
It all depends on reliability at this point... they've traded up-market sportiness for mass-market sales numbers... if they can't get close to an Accord's or Camry's reliability stats over the next 5-10 years, you can bet the resale values are going to be pretty dismal...

People bitch about Accord and Camry, but the long term reliabilty of those cars (even if it has dropped slightly in recent years) is tough to beat on a decade-over-decade basis... that's a lot of the resale value in people movers...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #133
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
So, you're saying it wasn't a fully satisfying ownership experience?
No, it was a fully satisfying ownership experience. Just not for him. You need to ask his dealer
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #134
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,037
I work with a guy who has a 11 year old Passat B5 wagon with the Audi 30-valve V6, Tiptronic, and 4-Motion.....arguably their most complex vehicle at the time with the exception of the rare Passat W8. He's put wheel bearings and a heater core in it....other than that, just required maintenance. Car still looks mint too.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #135
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I work with a guy who has a 11 year old Passat B5 wagon with the Audi 30-valve V6, Tiptronic, and 4-Motion.....arguably their most complex vehicle at the time with the exception of the rare Passat W8. He's put wheel bearings and a heater core in it....other than that, just required maintenance. Car still looks mint too.
You are the VW whisperer.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014