ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
...but nowadays, during race week, the circuit is closed most of the time due to accidents. Public transport is very good and means you can drink more!
Well that little piece of information has me second guessing my bike rental plans (which would save me $1,000 or so). $1,000 is a lot of Bushy's.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Limey 1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Well that little piece of information has me second guessing my bike rental plans (which would save me $1,000 or so). $1,000 is a lot of Bushy's.
Only the actual race circuit is affected and closed during the races and of course they open back up when the racing is over each day.. ...but you can ride your bike all over the island and travel to different parts of the track , by taking alternate back roads / lanes etc....it's very busy during the racing weeks but everyone is very rider friendly and in tune with what's going on...Bushys is good..but don't forget the Guiness!...We (Wife) flew into Dublin...rented a couple of twin 800 BMWs.(Celtic Riders)...got on the ferry from Dublin to Douglas IOM...had a hell of a good time....it's a must do on your bucket list!....
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #18
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey 1 View Post
Only the actual race circuit is affected and closed during the races and of course they open back up when the racing is over each day.. ...but you can ride your bike all over the island and travel to different parts of the track , by taking alternate back roads / lanes etc....it's very busy during the racing weeks but everyone is very rider friendly and in tune with what's going on...Bushys is good..but don't forget the Guiness!...We (Wife) flew into Dublin...rented a couple of twin 800 BMWs.(Celtic Riders)...got on the ferry from Dublin to Douglas IOM...had a hell of a good time....it's a must do on your bucket list!....
I definitely want to do some riding while we are in the UK. I had originally planned to rent near London, and ride to the ferry and on IOM during the race week. If the race course is closed a lot because of tourist crashes in the evening, and closed for the race during the day, it may not be worth the huge expense to have a bike for the whole race week (parked at the hotel). I may try to rent on IOM just for a couple of days, or I may rent for a couple of days near London. I have about a year to decide.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I definitely want to do some riding while we are in the UK. I had originally planned to rent near London, and ride to the ferry and on IOM during the race week. If the race course is closed a lot because of tourist crashes in the evening, and closed for the race during the day, it may not be worth the huge expense to have a bike for the whole race week (parked at the hotel). I may try to rent on IOM just for a couple of days, or I may rent for a couple of days near London. I have about a year to decide.

I don't recall such a huge problem with travelling around during TT fortnight. Of course it's busy,,,but any world festival like this is. During the actual race and practice sessions where the course is not open to regular traffic, as long as you park yourself, your bike, or car outside the course, and have not found a parking area where there are no exit roads out of your area, you are free to travel to different viewing areas while the racing/practice sessions are happening. If you park inside the perimeter of the course, then you are stuck until the sessions are over, sometimes 8 hours.
When I did the TT in 1994, I rented a bike in London [Scootabout bike rentals, think they're closed now], and took 4 days riding up through West couintry and Wales before reaching Heysham on the Wed morning during practice week.
I do remember there is an issue of those riding bikes from the continent getting into head on crashes because they started riding on the right instead of the left. That's the biggest concern for safety honestly. Mad Sunday was indeed mad back then, but at least everyone was going in the same direction. I remember 3 fatalities in Mad Sunday '94.
IMO, going to the Isle of Man TT or the Manx Grand Prix without a bike is a total failure. You must immerse yourself in the theme of the events, and bikes simply rule the house during these times.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
I don't recall such a huge problem with travelling around during TT fortnight. Of course it's busy,,,but any world festival like this is. During the actual race and practice sessions where the course is not open to regular traffic, as long as you park yourself, your bike, or car outside the course, and have not found a parking area where there are no exit roads out of your area, you are free to travel to different viewing areas while the racing/practice sessions are happening. If you park inside the perimeter of the course, then you are stuck until the sessions are over, sometimes 8 hours.
When I did the TT in 1994, I rented a bike in London [Scootabout bike rentals, think they're closed now], and took 4 days riding up through West couintry and Wales before reaching Heysham on the Wed morning during practice week.
I do remember there is an issue of those riding bikes from the continent getting into head on crashes because they started riding on the right instead of the left. That's the biggest concern for safety honestly. Mad Sunday was indeed mad back then, but at least everyone was going in the same direction. I remember 3 fatalities in Mad Sunday '94.
IMO, going to the Isle of Man TT or the Manx Grand Prix without a bike is a total failure. You must immerse yourself in the theme of the events, and bikes simply rule the house during these times.

The TT isn't the only event! And if you're taking the family, I'd recommend the Manx GP. (Renamed this year http://www.visitisleofman.com/whatso...torcycling.xml ). If you'd like to get a feel for the Manx, go over to the racing forum and have a look at ' Went to the Manx GP'. All the VERY FAST guys are going to be racing this year as well. On 'interesting' bikes. Kind of like in Steve G's shed........
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
...IMO, going to the Isle of Man TT or the Manx Grand Prix without a bike is a total failure. You must immerse yourself in the theme of the events...
I keep going back to that sentiment as well. Even crossing on the ferry with the bike would be part of the experience.

The Manx GP looks fun too, but is too late in the summer for her to go (she works in public schools). The TT is usually too early in the summer for her to go, except in 2015 when the dates work in our favor.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
shortcutsmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shortcutsmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Camano Island, Ligurta Station
Oddometer: 203
Timing is everything

After due diligence and research Fall classic in 2014 looks good. Fly in, rent a bike, stay on the West side and text the wife daily about difficulties encountered.
See you there.
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty
 
Fast_Boy_Slim's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Isle of Wight, England
Oddometer: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I keep going back to that sentiment as well. Even crossing on the ferry with the bike would be part of the experience.

The Manx GP looks fun too, but is too late in the summer for her to go (she works in public schools). The TT is usually too early in the summer for her to go, except in 2015 when the dates work in our favor.
Take the bike its the only way to get to the best spots unless you want to get fleeced by taxi drivers. Its not uncommon for races to be postponed because of a change of weather either so the ability to make a hasty back roads exit is also great to have close by. Get a good map and plan your viewing points. Get there early the roads get mental running up to roads closed before a race. Everyone has a favourite spot, but the bottom of Bray hill on practice night as a first experience is something I will never forget.

Are you sure you are only going for 3 days? Racing is not every day so you might not see so much.
__________________
Go Jane Go

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim View Post
Take the bike its the only way to get to the best spots unless you want to get fleeced by taxi drivers. Its not uncommon for races to be postponed because of a change of weather either so the ability to make a hasty back roads exit is also great to have close by. Get a good map and plan your viewing points. Get there early the roads get mental running up to roads closed before a race. Everyone has a favourite spot, but the bottom of Bray hill on practice night as a first experience is something I will never forget.

Are you sure you are only going for 3 days? Racing is not every day so you might not see so much.

Agree with all you say. Racing, and practice go on alternate days.
My favourite place is at "the Craig". I remember I had a vip press pass, allowing me to enter areas where the pro photo guys go. So here I am, in my Bellstaff waxed cotton gear, pint of Bushy's in one hand, and one of those one use Kodak disposable cameras in another hand, sitting on hay bales as guys come down the hill at full song from Kate's Cottage, grinning, giggling at the spectacle. You can't make this stuff up.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
dmcd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dmcd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Oddometer: 473
*****Disclaimer, my opinions only******

If you want to see the TT, then you must of course go to the TT. If you want to take a bike to the TT then you must pay for the privilege.

I've been going to the TT since 2002, and more recently the Manx too, here are a few differences I have noticed between the TT and Manx GP.

Bike and rider return on the ferry for the TT from Belfast 215.
Bike and rider return on the ferry for the Manx GP, around 100 (last year I took the van with two bikes, wife and kids for around 230.

Good accomodation for the TT is usually booked in advance, and is passed from generation to generation, I know one gent who has stayed in the same room for the last 30 odd years.

I would guess accomodation for the Manx GP is probably available up to a few weeks before the event. I was in the Hilton a few times at the Manx last year and it was not busy.

During the TT there used to be a lot of fucking aboutery on the Street in the evenings particularly in the area of Bushy's Tent, I am sure Steve G would have seen this in '94 . Since about 2004/5 this has been clamped down on, and entertainment is now "provided" so wheelies and burnouts up and down the street will probably result in you having your dinner provided by the Manx Constabulary, and this dosent happen any more.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg

Evening entertainment at the TT has also been tamed down a lot. I remember one occasion in particular, standing in a club, I think it was the Castle Mona, with my Father and another church going friend of ours whilst one lady ate a bar of chocolate out of where it had been hidden by another lady.

Evening entertainment at the Manx usually involves some poor elderly gentleman trying to kick start a Goldstar after he's flooded it in front of a couple of dozen people.

During the whole TT fortnight, the circuit from Ramsay to Douglas is made "one way" to stop those people who drive on the wrong side of the road killing those who drive on the right side of the road. This sounds like a good idea but there are cones restricting the traffic to a single lane from Ramsay to above the Gooseneck, the Bungalow section, and from Keppel Gate, the whole way down past the Creg. These cones take a long time to put out, and collect, and this keeps the circuit closed while this work is being done. Speed limited areas are also extended for the TT.

During the Manx GP the road is open as normal to two way traffic with no restricted areas.

As I mentioned before, the circuit is closed while accidents are cleared up, this usually involves washing off oil, and I believe recently, bad accidents resulted in some resurfacing work, to prepare the track for the proper racers. Inevitably this results in a backlog of hundreds of bikes in Ramsay, who usually go bonkers when the "Mountain" opens again and somebody else falls off. I spoke to a Constable a couple of years ago who said that the record for the mountain circuit being opened, and closed again due to another incident was 57 seconds. Although, on that occasion a 911 Porche shit itself and the driver kept going, dropping oil on the circuit for miles.

During the Manx GP this just dosent seem to happen.

During the TT police are out in force in relation to speeding and dangerours driving.

At the Manx GP they dont seem to bother as much.

During the TT spectators/tourists are mainly on sportsbikes.

At the Manx, spectators/tourists are normally on classic bikes.

At the TT when you eventually get onto the Mountain section you will be travelling with motorhomes doing 30mph, locals in ferraris and Evos doing 150mph, and bikes doing 180mph. This is exciting, especially when the chap in the camper decides he needs the racing line on the right hand kink half way up the Mountain Mile to prevent his cups and saucers falling out of the cupboards.

This dosent happen at the Manx.

At the TT you have to be up early to get a good vantage point.

At the Manx, you don't.

At the TT, there are classes for bikes up to WSB spec.

At the Manx (I believe) the max capacity for four cylinder bikes is 750cc.

At the TT nowadays the smallest class is 600cc

At the Manx they have classic bikes, I don't remember if there are still 2 strokes at the Manx.

The TT probably has a different (better?) atmosphere, because of course, it is the TT.

As I mentioned earlier taking a bike to the TT is fantastic, and of course you can use it for transportation while you are there. I was just trying to suggest that you might be disappointed if you paid $1000 dollars rental, and another $400 to get you, the bike and Mrs onto the island, expecting to spend every evening and non race day traversing the Mountain Course honing your racing line.

Look, the above are only my personal observations and ramblings (I do talk a lot of crap sometimes) from spending 3/4 weeks per year on the Island mostly on a bike, no doubt others will have had different experiences. You must, of course do what your head/heart tells you. I used to take an R1 and go bonkers with the rest of them, I now take a trail bike. I'm getting older now In my opinions the best roads on the island now have grass growing up the middle of them. I took this video at the TT last year, as you can see the weather was crap and the Senior TT was cancelled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLON-YEwmLI

A Gent I know who runs a small race team said that you only need three things to go to the TT. Thats two fat wallets and a strap-on liver.

If someone asks you if you have ever been to the TT, you can appear slightly aloof as you tell them that you went to the Manx instead.

dmcd screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 01:50 PM
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #26
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim View Post
Are you sure you are only going for 3 days? Racing is not every day so you might not see so much.
No, I'll be there for the entire race week. I was just thinking about only renting a bike for a couple of those days to explore the Isle properly. The remainder of the days would be spent near the course with a beer in my hand.


Quote:
Originally posted by dmcd
At the Manx, spectators/tourists are normally on classic bikes.
In that aspect, the Manx would be more interesting to watch. Unless they change the dates though, we won't be able to attend until we are both retired from our careers. By that age, my diabetes will likely be advanced enough to all but eliminate my ability to drink beer and whiskey. Therefore, I'm going with the TT while I can still enjoy all it has to offer.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Moss
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: North coast, Spain
Oddometer: 74
Nice one cmdc!
Thank's for taking the time to do the write-up and share you experience. You've just helped me to make up my mind.
I'm going to the Manx!! See you lot over there some time!
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
*****Disclaimer, my opinions only******

If you want to see the TT, then you must of course go to the TT. If you want to take a bike to the TT then you must pay for the privilege.

I've been going to the TT since 2002, and more recently the Manx too, here are a few differences I have noticed between the TT and Manx GP.

Bike and rider return on the ferry for the TT from Belfast 215.
Bike and rider return on the ferry for the Manx GP, around 100 (last year I took the van with two bikes, wife and kids for around 230.

Good accomodation for the TT is usually booked in advance, and is passed from generation to generation, I know one gent who has stayed in the same room for the last 30 odd years.

I would guess accomodation for the Manx GP is probably available up to a few weeks before the event. I was in the Hilton a few times at the Manx last year and it was not busy.

During the TT there used to be a lot of fucking aboutery on the Street in the evenings particularly in the area of Bushy's Tent, I am sure Steve G would have seen this in '94 . Since about 2004/5 this has been clamped down on, and entertainment is now "provided" so wheelies and burnouts up and down the street will probably result in you having your dinner provided by the Manx Constabulary, and this dosent happen any more.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg

Evening entertainment at the TT has also been tamed down a lot. I remember one occasion in particular, standing in a club, I think it was the Castle Mona, with my Father and another church going friend of ours whilst one lady ate a bar of chocolate out of where it had been hidden by another lady.

Evening entertainment at the Manx usually involves some poor elderly gentleman trying to kick start a Goldstar after he's flooded it in front of a couple of dozen people.

During the whole TT fortnight, the circuit from Ramsay to Douglas is made "one way" to stop those people who drive on the wrong side of the road killing those who drive on the right side of the road. This sounds like a good idea but there are cones restricting the traffic to a single lane from Ramsay to above the Gooseneck, the Bungalow section, and from Keppel Gate, the whole way down past the Creg. These cones take a long time to put out, and collect, and this keeps the circuit closed while this work is being done. Speed limited areas are also extended for the TT.

During the Manx GP the road is open as normal to two way traffic with no restricted areas.

As I mentioned before, the circuit is closed while accidents are cleared up, this usually involves washing off oil, and I believe recently, bad accidents resulted in some resurfacing work, to prepare the track for the proper racers. Inevitably this results in a backlog of hundreds of bikes in Ramsay, who usually go bonkers when the "Mountain" opens again and somebody else falls off. I spoke to a Constable a couple of years ago who said that the record for the mountain circuit being opened, and closed again due to another incident was 57 seconds. Although, on that occasion a 911 Porche shit itself and the driver kept going, dropping oil on the circuit for miles.

During the Manx GP this just dosent seem to happen.

During the TT police are out in force in relation to speeding and dangerours driving.

At the Manx GP they dont seem to bother as much.

During the TT spectators/tourists are mainly on sportsbikes.

At the Manx, spectators/tourists are normally on classic bikes.

At the TT when you eventually get onto the Mountain section you will be travelling with motorhomes doing 30mph, locals in ferraris and Evos doing 150mph, and bikes doing 180mph. This is exciting, especially when the chap in the camper decides he needs the racing line on the right hand kink half way up the Mountain Mile to prevent his cups and saucers falling out of the cupboards.

This dosent happen at the Manx.

At the TT you have to be up early to get a good vantage point.

At the Manx, you don't.

At the TT, there are classes for bikes up to WSB spec.

At the Manx (I believe) the max capacity for four cylinder bikes is 750cc.

At the TT nowadays the smallest class is 600cc

At the Manx they have classic bikes, I don't remember if there are still 2 strokes at the Manx.

The TT probably has a different (better?) atmosphere, because of course, it is the TT.

As I mentioned earlier taking a bike to the TT is fantastic, and of course you can use it for transportation while you are there. I was just trying to suggest that you might be disappointed if you paid $1000 dollars rental, and another $400 to get you, the bike and Mrs onto the island, expecting to spend every evening and non race day traversing the Mountain Course honing your racing line.

Look, the above are only my personal observations and ramblings (I do talk a lot of crap sometimes) from spending 3/4 weeks per year on the Island mostly on a bike, no doubt others will have had different experiences. You must, of course do what your head/heart tells you. I used to take an R1 and go bonkers with the rest of them, I now take a trail bike. I'm getting older now In my opinions the best roads on the island now have grass growing up the middle of them. I took this video at the TT last year, as you can see the weather was crap and the Senior TT was cancelled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLON-YEwmLI

A Gent I know who runs a small race team said that you only need three things to go to the TT. Thats two fat wallets and a strap-on liver.

If someone asks you if you have ever been to the TT, you can appear slightly aloof as you tell them that you went to the Manx instead.
THAT is awesome!
I'll be going to the Manx again this year, as for all the reasons mentioned above, the TT is just 'Too Hard', and also because of the restructuring of the Manx, that will see pretty much all of the fast TT riders racing on Classics, and
and not-so-classics. ('70s, '80s & '90s). Should be quite interesting.......
http://www.mgpfestival.com/News/2012...-TT-Races.aspx
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014