Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3631
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 360
Adding electronic gadgets

I've been thinking on how to power the electronic gadgets I would like to run on the front on my TEX. I will be using a GPS unit and a radar detector, and I would like to add a USB charger as well. I see 3 possible ways to set this up.
  1. I could get a Powerlet spliter and plug this into the socket that is by the ignition. Simple to do but would remove that outlet for other uses. Doesn't provide a solution for the USB charger.
  2. I could run a fuse block and power each item individually but this would require removing the tank and running lines up front. This is probably the smartest/most correct/cleanest approach.
  3. Or I could tap into the line feeding the Powerlet socket by the ignition and run two additional circuits in parallel. Has anyone taped into this power source? Seems simpler/cleaner than running additional lines. Both the radar detector and GPS are low current draw compared to heated gear. Does anyone know what the fuse in line to this socket is rated at?
I was also going to run a USB charger into the top box on the back of the bike but I think I will use the passenger power port for that since my wife took one ride on the back with me, decided just sitting there was too boring, and then went out and bought her own 800XC.

In a related question, can anyone describe the process of removing the tank? I need to by the shop manual but have not done this yet.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #3632
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,595
Don't need to remove tank to run cable from battery to upfront. I hard wired the GPS and ran the cable through left side and stock the cable together with the bunch going back - you can fish out from left/behind - just remove small plastic covering...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #3633
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I've been thinking on how to power the electronic gadgets I would like to run on the front on my TEX. I will be using a GPS unit and a radar detector, and I would like to add a USB charger as well. I see 3 possible ways to set this up.
  1. I could run a fuse block and power each item individually but this would require removing the tank and running lines up front. This is probably the smartest/most correct/cleanest approach.
Fuse block is the best idea, but I don't think you need to remove the tank to do it. Seems to me people have found it easy enough to feed wires through to the back of the bike by removing only side and front panels.

Run a search at www.tiger-explorer.com

ALternatively, if the radar detector and GPS can both be powered by USB, then a Powerlet-to-double-USB will take care of it. You could then install the pre-wired OEM Powerlet plug at the back of the bike to take care of other things. This will be my approach and will leave my SAE line from the battery for heated clothing, etc. I would go with the fuse block if I were more capable/less lazy.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #3634
gregdee
Motocampist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post

ALternatively, if the radar detector and GPS can both be powered by USB, then a Powerlet-to-double-USB will take care of it. ...
Turns out the radar detector power cable has this nifty mute button on it where it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I would like to keep that functionality because there is nothing more annoying than an alarm that just keeps going and going and going and.... There is a mute button the the detector but it is small and probably would be tough to operate with gloved hands on a bike. So, looks like will also at a good old cigarette lighter outlet as well.

I think the fuse block option is best as well. I am going to see if there's enough room to mount it up front so that I only need a single wire running up from the battery.

gregdee screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:18 AM
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #3635
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
I'll suggest you mount it in the back under the sea and out of harms way. And out of the water. And, if anything ever "messes up" = at midnight it's easy to get to. Running the wires on most Triumphs up to the front is way easy. Almost nothing needs to come of amd there are plenty of spots to tie wrap to along the way.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #3636
Masterblaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Had the dealer mount the gps this time he wired it under the tank somewhere while installing the fogs that were part of the deal, on the Tiger 800 I wired it into the headlight power, took 10 minutes.

Quote:
  1. I could get a Powerlet spliter and plug this into the socket that is by the ignition. Simple to do but would remove that outlet for other uses. Doesn't provide a solution for the USB charger.
  2. I could run a fuse block and power each item individually but this would require removing the tank and running lines up front. This is probably the smartest/most correct/cleanest approach.
  3. Or I could tap into the line feeding the Powerlet socket by the ignition and run two additional circuits in parallel. Has anyone taped into this power source? Seems simpler/cleaner than running additional lines. Both the radar detector and GPS are low current draw compared to heated gear. Does anyone know what the fuse in line to this socket is rated at?
I was also going to run a USB charger into the top box on the back of the bike but I think I will use the passenger power port for that since my wife took one ride on the back with me, decided just sitting there was too boring, and then went out and bought her own 800XC.

In a related question, can anyone describe the process of removing the tank? I need to by the shop manual but have not done this yet.
2011 Sprint GT
Masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3637
gregdee
Motocampist

WIthout further adue

Without further ado..

Picked her up a couple of weeks ago and have added around 1000 miles in a couple of weekends despite it being the middle of winter. I scored the bike from my local (crack) dealer (http://www.pjsmotorcycles.com/) with about 8000 miles on it. He gave me a great deal on my trade-in of a 2008 Sprint ST and with the discounted price of this slightly used machine I have been able to go nuts with the farkles.

Since acquiring this awe inspiring rig I have added the Jesse luggage, a Madstad engineering windscreen, Twisted Throttle headlight protector, the Triumph skid plate and fog lights (crash bars and heated grips were already on it), a Touratech radiator guard, and the K60 Scout tires. I also had a few items from Palmer Products shipped across the pond. Those items are the rear fender extender, the center stand plate/guard, the mud flap for the back wheel, and the bar end weights. The Palmer products are nicely made parts and worth it in my opinion. I am currently working the electrical gadget farkles and expect to have those completed in another week or so.

I've had a few minor hicups with Jesse Luggage with regards to fitment issues of the rear rack parts but they are sorting things out and I expect to see the third round of parts tomorrow night. Shipping's real quick being only one state away. The folks at Jesse are gracious and great to deal with. Can't say enough good things about their stuff. I really like the boxes. These Odysey boxes (the larger ones) are narrower than the relatively small Zega's or Caribou top loaders Pelican Cases.

This bike is an absolute joy to ride. For anyone still on the fence - get off it and get on one of these. Super fun.

gregdee screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 06:50 PM
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #3638
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Congrats, great looking ride
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #3639
samson70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Without further ado..

Picked her up a couple of weeks ago and have added around 1000 miles in a couple of weekends despite it being the middle of winter. I scored the bike from my local (crack) dealer (http://www.pjsmotorcycles.com/) with about 8000 miles on it. He gave me a great deal on my trade-in of a 2008 Sprint ST and with the discounted price of this slightly used machine I have been able to go nuts with the farkles.

Since acquiring this awe inspiring rig I have added the Jesse luggage, a Madstad engineering windscreen, Twisted Throttle headlight protector, the Triumph skid plate and fog lights (crash bars and heated grips were already on it), a Touratech radiator guard, and the K60 Scout tires. I also had a few items from Palmer Products shipped across the pond. Those items are the rear fender extender, the center stand plate/guard, the mud flap for the back wheel, and the bar end weights. The Palmer products are nicely made parts and worth it in my opinion. I am currently working the electrical gadget farkles and expect to have those completed in another week or so.

I've had a few minor hicups with Jesse Luggage with regards to fitment issues of the rear rack parts but they are sorting things out and I expect to see the third round of parts tomorrow night. Shipping's real quick being only one state away. The folks at Jesse are gracious and great to deal with. Can't say enough good things about their stuff. I really like the boxes. These Odysey boxes (the larger ones) are narrower than the relatively small Zega's or Caribou top loaders Pelican Cases.

This bike is an absolute joy to ride. For anyone still on the fence - get off it and get on one of these. Super fun.
I just got my madstad as well, light tint and in the first day or two it already looks like it has scratches and scuffs on it does anyone have the problem?
samson70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #3640
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Hey gregdee, are you talking about this center stand plate? I've been eyeballing it through eBay but $100...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #3641
gregdee
Motocampist

Yup. That's the one.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #3642
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Quote:
Yup. That's the one.
Let me know how it works... I may dig my crafting skills and make one on my own...

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3643
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Without further ado..

My Jesse racks should arrive in a day or two. The Canadian distributor was a little vague about shipping. Perhaps the folks at Jesse were sorting out issues and that caused the delay Could you tell me what the problem was, so I can double check when mine arrive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #3644
gregdee
Motocampist

Bassackwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
Fuse block is the best idea.....
I have a tendency to do things a little backwards some of the time. By that I mean I should have read the manual first. Over the weekend I ordered a fuse block so I could get my electrical gadgets wired up properly. This evening I was reading through the owners manual and I see (on page 120) that there are two empty fuse positions (1 and 2) in the right hand fuse box under the seat. Is there any reason I couldn't just use these to power the GPS and radar detector?

Not reading the manual for two weeks is probably a lot better than never reading it, no?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #3645
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,259
Quote:
This evening I was reading through the owners manual and I see (on page 120) that there are two empty fuse positions (1 and 2) in the right hand fuse box under the seat. Is there any reason I couldn't just use these to power the GPS and radar detector?
I know nothing about your particular bike, but I doubt these empty positions are pre-wired with power. So you'd probably have to modify the factory fuse block with wiring and connectors which may be more trouble than running a small one of your own.

If your power needs are modest (three extra circuits or less), the easiest setup I've found is the 3CS from Eastern Beaver.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote