Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #301
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Exactly what Mustang said. I have run ethanol gas in mine for 5 years now. NO issues.
I might point out that ethanol fuels have been widely used in Europe many years before here in the states. Brazil has been using ethanol mixed fuel since the 70's!!!! Triumphs are engineered/designed and built where ethanol gas is the norm. Don't ya think they sort of "designed" them to use ethanol?

THe tank decals bubble due to expansion and contraction from heat humidity etc. Its annoying, but not a deal breaker. Also not ALL of them do it. Tigers are made to be ridden not pristine show room quality trailer queens. They get scratches and dings...all part of it.

By the way......be ready now.......you ARE going to drop it. I said I wouldn't....I did, 3 times now. Low (or no) speed no damage other than scratches....they just like "napping" now and then.

Get the Tiger and ride the snot out of it!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #302
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I ran 10% ethanol in my 2006 Tiger 955i for 77,000 miles with no problems. The bike never sat for more than 3-5 days at a time.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #303
cbxtc6
On my Way...

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post

By the way......be ready now.......you ARE going to drop it. I said I wouldn't....I did, 3 times now. Low (or no) speed no damage other than scratches....they just like "napping" now and then.

Get the Tiger and ride the snot out of it!
Indeed!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #304
keystiger
rat on a roll

Nice shot......never had the forethought to snap picks of mine napping, but will next time.

Pics Bouldertag, when you get her we need pics.
Heres a few of mine......note "strategically" placed decals on the hard bags to hide scratches lol.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #305
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Hey Rusty what are you doing replacing your DR 650 with the 955?

Asking as I have a nice 08 DR650, But I want a little more umph and 2up comfort on highway. Wife wont let me have both. I love my DR. I am hoping i can take this 955 pretty much anywhere I can take the DR.

Just wondering

boulder
I have a 2006 955i and absolutely love it, excellent for sport touring and two up riding, plenty of power...but be aware it is a very large, tall, heavy, and particularly top heavy bike so it is a real handful offroad for many people and probably best for dirt roads, etc....though of course some have done serious dirt riding on them. I have a DR650 myself and it feels as though it is about half the weight from the saddle. Sounds as though you have not riden a 955i yet, I'd definitely do that before selling your DR and somehow try to have both, they complement each other very well.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #306
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
hey fellas, been browsing over this thread today. Just sold my klr and was looking at filling her place with a bigger ds bike. most of the people I ride with ride gsa's and 990's so fireroads, dirt, and gravel will be the most "off-road" I will take it. I found a 2001 955i for sale. was wondering what things I should look out for? are there any recalls, or issues with the 2001? it's got about 20k on the clock. I've seen some post with much more miles so I'm hoping that these bike will double or triple that without having any rebuilding done to the motor? appreciate any advise or feedback. I think this may be the bike for me (can't afford a gsa, or 950/990). Thanks in advance!
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #307
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
hey fellas, been browsing over this thread today. Just sold my klr and was looking at filling her place with a bigger ds bike. most of the people I ride with ride gsa's and 990's so fireroads, dirt, and gravel will be the most "off-road" I will take it. I found a 2001 955i for sale. was wondering what things I should look out for? are there any recalls, or issues with the 2001? it's got about 20k on the clock. I've seen some post with much more miles so I'm hoping that these bike will double or triple that without having any rebuilding done to the motor? appreciate any advise or feedback. I think this may be the bike for me (can't afford a gsa, or 950/990). Thanks in advance!
ive an 01 with over 50k she's sweet as a nut , rect regs can be a rare issue but the font on knowledge here solves any issue your likely to find they are great bikes go for it

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #308
keystiger
rat on a roll

Ming, shot you a PM with some more detailed info. And though it wasn't a Tiger, I had the chance to see inside a 98 sprint triple motor when I did a sprag clutch replacement (not an issue on the 01's don't worry) and a Triumph motor with 100,000 miles on the clock was AMAZINGLY clean, no issues what so ever. The minor little things like the reg/rec. (easy cheap upgrade discovered by Mustang takes care of that) and fuel fittings (again a few dollar fix) are about the only things. The engines are bullet proof. Buy it and ride, ride, ride. Hell take a few nice long trips with the $ you save over the GS or the 990.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #309
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Holy crap I have a Tiger in my garage!

So after about 2 seconds of deliberation I pounced on an opportunity to own a Tiger! (no pun intended... Well maybe just a little!) Went and test rode it, made an offer, and I am the new owner of a 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i!
I'm going to have to rip into her a bit, the front fairing is mounted just a bit crooked as well as the dash (I think it's because of the crazy headlights that are on the thing. I'm positive they are not stock.) Other than that, bke runs strong. no leaks I could see, there is a dent in the oil cooler (I'm hoping it doesn't cause any issues). And the bike has just under 20k miles on it. Looks as to have been re-painted red. Could I be the only one with a red girlie? Filled her up with premium since I'm sure it's been sitting for a bit, what octane are you all running? And I'll have to do some research since I don't have a service manual, but what oil are you guys running, and what is the oil change interval on this bike? Thanks again guys!

Pics!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #310
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,278
Nice bike ming. glad you were able to come to terms. What tires on it? Looks ready for action!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #311
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Nice bike ming. glad you were able to come to terms. What tires on it? Looks ready for action!
Thanks! Tires are TKC 80's. They are nearly toast though. I'll need some new shoes on her before summer starts. Any reco's? Want something that sticks and lasts on slab, but still capable in the gravel and dirt.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #312
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I would need a close up to be sure, but looks like there is atleast 60%, or about 1500 miles left on that rear tire. The TKC 80 is weird. The first 30-40% wears out in the first 500 miles, then you go about 2500 miles it wears slow, then all of a sudden its done. For me its the tire that won't die. And they stick.

My next set is TKC80 front and Mitas E07 Dakar rear.

TKC/Heidenau is also real popular.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #313
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
The TKC 80 is weird. The first 30-40% wears out in the first 500 miles, then you go about 2500 miles it wears slow, then all of a sudden its done. For me its the tire that won't die. And they stick.

My next set is TKC80 front and Mitas E07 Dakar rear.

TKC/Heidenau is also real popular.
I had TKC's on my klr as well. I do like the tires. I'm just worried that with a heavier bike and 3 times the hp the 955i will eat up rear tires. Looking at the current set of TKC's on the tiger there is good tread on the sides of the tire, but the tread blocks directly in the center are wore down to about 1/16 of an inch. The front is about 1/8 of an inch so I'm assuming the PO was on his 2nd rear to the front. I'll have to check out that Heidenau.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #314
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 423
Thanks all for your comments. Great group of gents!

Love your new red Tiger!

Mine will be black.

Thanks again for all the wisdom and knowledge thrown my way about this superb bike!

Damn good crowd of Triumph riders!

boulder

P.S. Kestiger nice tiger! Wheres your crashbars? You don't need no stinking crashbars?!

bouldertag screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 09:26 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #315
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Ming, I have right around 3000 miles on my rear TKC and ride the shit out of it. Had a blast getting sideways on the Top of the World HWY last year. Spin the rear up alot on dirt. I am right at about, but not yet on the treadware indicators. Won't change till its damn near bald. Over 200 bucks for a tire I'm getting my monies worth.

Nice looking bike.