Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjerry View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I have just about decided on a DR650. It's either gonna be a new 2012 or a used 2012 with 1,500 miles on it. It's up to the dealers to see who can give the best deal. So far the new one is $6000 out the door. The used one is $5300 out the door with warranty till Oct 24th 2013. They are working on the price for the used one and I am waiting for them to get back to me.
Sweet! You'll love it! Hopefully they can get the used one down to $5k or lower.

If you haven't started yet, you should start reading the DR650 Thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135295 -- should take you about nine months to get current. :)

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
jumpingjerry OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks. Got the used one down to $4780 out the door. If everything goes as planed I will be making a road trip Tuesday go get it.
jumpingjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Thanks. Got the used one down to $4780 out the door. If everything goes as planed I will be making a road trip Tuesday go get it.
That's a great price for such a new DR with low miles. Awesome! I trust you put a deposit on it so it doesn't disappear on you?

Rob
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Klr

I love my KLR, (with the right tires), but I rode a buddy's DR a while back and it really felt great with the lower center of gravity. The same buddy told me that my KLR's seat felt like you were sitting on your couch at home compared to his DR, it's all relative. I'm 6'2" and 280 so the KLR fits me better, (with the right tires, of course).

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Start reading the DR650 wikia too. Pay attention to fixes and upgrades.

Then check out some of the special package deals and individual items for the DR at www.procycle.us. There are a bunch of other vendors supporting the DR too...www.kientech.com, www.happy-trail.com, www.wolfmanluggage.com, www.bikebandit.com, www.cyclegear.com, www.motorcycle-superstore.com, and many others.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #21
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Good decision.

heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #22
jumpingjerry OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Start reading the DR650 wikia too. Pay attention to fixes and upgrades.

Then check out some of the special package deals and individual items for the DR at www.procycle.us. There are a bunch of other vendors supporting the DR too...www.kientech.com, www.happy-trail.com, www.wolfmanluggage.com, www.bikebandit.com, www.cyclegear.com, www.motorcycle-superstore.com, and many others.
Thanks for all the links. Got them saved to my bookmarks. Will look through them.

Quote:
That's a great price for such a new DR with low miles. Awesome! I trust you put a deposit on it so it doesn't disappear on you?

Rob
Not yet, but they still had it when they closed today. If all goes will I will put a deposit down on Tuesday morning at 9 am when they open back up (closed Sunday and Monday) and will head out to make to two hour road trip.

I can't wait to ride!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 211
Cool. Be sure to post the obligatory pic of the new bike.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #24
jumpingjerry OP
Adventurer

Road Trip!

About to hit the road to go get the bike. Here are some pics the dealer sent me. I can't wait!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:

Nicely done, sir!

I love everything about the DR.

I have a 1st gen KLR with 41K absolutely trouble free miles, and I love the bike. Wouldn't trade it for a DR, but if I were bikeless and had to choose between a DR650 and a current model KLR, I'd take a DR hands down. They porked up the current model KLR quite a bit compared to the first gen. Just too heavy for my liking. I can pick up my pig just fine...not sure about the extra 50ish lbs of the new ones.

Suzuki knows a little something about making bulletproof air/oil cooled motors.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #26
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Nice!!! I've always been a fan of the gray color. And I see the previous owner put a skidplate on it too. Excellent!

Rob
Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,338
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies! I have just about decided on a DR650. It's either gonna be a new 2012 or a used 2012 with 1,500 miles on it. It's up to the dealers to see who can give the best deal. So far the new one is $6000 out the door. The used one is $5300 out the door with warranty till Oct 24th 2013. They are working on the price for the used one and I am waiting for them to get back to me.
I waited till a real low miles stock DR finally came up,3K later it was mine with out a scratch on it,never had been off road.
I farkled to taste and its been a great bike.
Its the one bike in the shed thats always ready to go.
Nothing seems to break on it. I left engine/carb/exhaust stock and it seems to run just fine that way,valve adj is easy,oil change is easy,nice simple bike that will do slab at 80 mph all day then go in the dirt just fine.
always gets 50 mpg or close to it.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
jumpingjerry OP
Adventurer

It's home!

Well what a long day! Left the house at 11:30 am and got home at about 6:30 pm. Well worth it though. The bike did not have a scratch on it. Looked newer then the new bike I was looking at. Dug up my old dirt bike helmet from years ago so I was about to put a few miles on it when we got home. I really like it! It feels like it has more grunt then the KLR I rode least week. Didn't get a change to get it up to speed as I could not find my goggles. Only had my glasses on and they only block so much wind. Can't wait to really put some miles on it.