Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #76
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
More Day 5

Heading towards the Pacific ocean.

My favorite picture of the whole trip------my buddy Scott just tooling along having a great time in Baja.

I stopped to take a pee break---have a snack and let Scott catch up.
Scott dis-mounted and said his rear suspension was "wonky".

And inspection revealed what he already knew---his shock had blown a seal and discharged all of it's oil---so now he had no dampening on his rear suspension.
We probably sat here for an hour and thought about what to do. I pushed down on his seat to compress his suspension and it bounced up and down for quite a bit.
If you've never rode a dirt bike with a blown shock------------you can't.
It will buck you off and is miserable to try and ride even on the smooth pavement.
We both knew the trip was over here and just accepted it----relaxed a bit more ---had a snack ---a gatorade and rode back to the pavement
and I had worked out a plan in my head how to get back to the USA without retracing our route at all. I'd ridden the way I worked out before and
knew Scott would survive it with his blown shock and we would still get to see some neat stuff----meet Coco and camp on the Sea Of Cortex at an
awesome spot I knew of.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #77
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Day 5

We went south a bit on Hwy 1 and turned Northeast on a rocky road I knew of that of that would take us to Coco---and if everything went right
we'd get there in the daylight. Despite me being told Coco was dead------I assure you he wasn't. Last time I saw him he had 1 1/2 legs---now he has none.
Sugar diabetes has taken them. I kind of thought we'd spend the night with Coco and camp here.

That is CoCos 4-wheeler------it was broke down a while back and I read about a guy that stopped in here and helped him fix it. He worked on it for hours---had to remove the carb I think and clean it.

He finally dis-mounted his 4-wheeler and kind of waddled like a penquin on his kneepads and walked into his little outdoor shack.

I mentiioned to Scott I knew of a really neat place to camp on the Sea Of Cortez and agreed to go there---although dark was fast approaching.
CoCo was not going to let us leave till we signed his guest book---it was very thick and very old----I suppose my name is in there from a few years ago.

We admired all the womens panties and bra's hanging from the ceiling.
Look under the motorcycle---------you'll see both of Coco's prostectic legs he can't use anymore.

I've got an old CoCo's corner sticker on my ratty old KLR------maybe I better keep that bike---it's been good to me.

If you ride this bike to anywhere in Mexico--you don't need a passport or anything.
They'll just wave you on thru

Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #78
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

More Day 5---too the sea of cortez

I told Scott to forget that gps gizmo and follow my tailight.
At the turnoff to Alfonsino's I paid for a palapa for the night ---130 Peso's.
And we filled up with gas at the Pemex on the dirt road and a really nice fellow fixed us a great big steak sandwich.
We loaded the sandwich's up with 2 cold beers (my limit is one) and headed to the beach to eat it and set up camp.
There was no wind------perfect temps as we ate and watched the sun go down behind us-----knowing it would ride
out in the ocean in the morning.

We were the only ones here---thanks to the many gringo's that won't come down here.

There were many birds out in the ocean making loud bird noises---that were actually very pleasing to the ear along with the soft sound of
the surf coming in.

I laid out my "Dingleweeds M-3000 Combo--Tarp---Bike Cover--Shelter--and Misc. Use".
We never go anywhere without these.

A hot steak sandwich and cold beer.
I usually drink about 5 beers a year-----I hit my quota on this trip and will have to wait till next year to have another.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZ ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZ

About 195 miles for the day.
And here is the tracklog of the days riding.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #79
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
I believe that hotel is Baja Cactus.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #80
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Thanks guys, I love Baja! Been down there on four wheels camping and kayaking for a month at a time. Would love to do it on two wheels. I have a 1200 gsa, way to big for that type of adventure. Your right, a smaller bike is perfect...Your guys know how to do it, keep up the good life!
Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #81
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Ho-chi-momma . This place looks fantastic! I thought it was all flat sand down there.
b
Scott----the first time I went that was my expectations also. But there is this huge tall rugged mountain range going the whole length of Baja----some times hugging the coast so close that no roads can be built. For the ordinary traveler (car, big bike) there are few places to cross these mountains. And those cactuses---man I love those things.

It always seems when I travel I get this idea of what it is going to be like--------and am always totally wrong.

BigDog
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #82
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

TR650----------the terra is a fine bike---it shines on easy offroad----and the road. I've been to Baja before---all over Baja in fact------we would be riding offroad much of the time--most of the time actually----------and most of the time it would not be easy offroad. Also ---where I ride in Baja ----------a 300 mile range is mandatory---the Husky only can go about 200 at most.

The WR was awesome on everything we rode----never a lack of horsepower at any time.

First thing I though of was fuel range my self.
On Trailers, Like you, done been on icey snowy roads way back in '66 in South Dakota on a Triumph 650 with everything I owned on it. Never gonna happen again. Has not. Another thing drives me to trailering or the moto tote for my truck, Hot 95 to 105 degree weather with 100 % humidity. Just not fun. The older I get , the less fun.
But, working on losing the Bandit and getting a Husky like yours. Then , sob, , Probably selling the KLR since the Terra would do it all for what I plan in the future.
What my Brain wants to do and what my body will do is two different things as I quickly approach 70 years on this earth and feel all the old injuries more and more. So it's gonna be Truck to where I really want to ride , Ride, and Truck back to Southwest Louisiana where it's 70 F and sunshine at this moment.
Waiting on all the rest of the report Mark and sorry your pard was injured. Also loving the Mobus trips

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #83
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Day 6 Our Last Day In Baja

January 25th, 2013
Our lovely Palapas to the United States.

We packed up early in the morning.
And it was here I fully realizex and I guess Scott did too how bad he was hurt.
He was laying flat in his tent on his back----and couldn't roll over or sit up by himself.
I guess if somebody had heard him they would have thought I was stickin' a knife in him.

But he got on his bike and I heard a big !!!
"Wahooooooooooo" !!!!!!!

Scott ripped off 2 really good pics as we rode slowly North on the ordinary route.
Pavement started about 3 miles North of the Alfinsino's turnoff.

On the new pavement-------I was reminiscing about the old unpaved route I could see closer to the sea--they left a lot of it.

The border crossing took 17 seconds---and we were on our way back to my tow vehicle------ then back
to Scotts in Tuscon where we just relaxed for a day before I headed home.
Traffic was backed up as usual at the border----but we were directed to the "Special" lane and off we went.

I figured this might be my last trip to Baja------not so.
We are coming back for sure.

Now back at home ------------I'm looking at 3" of fresh snow.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 10:55 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #84
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
First thing I though of was fuel range my self.
On Trailers, Like you, done been on icey snowy roads way back in '66 in South Dakota on a Triumph 650 with everything I owned on it. Never gonna happen again. Has not. Another thing drives me to trailering or the moto tote for my truck, Hot 95 to 105 degree weather with 100 % humidity. Just not fun. The older I get , the less fun.
But, working on losing the Bandit and getting a Husky like yours. Then , sob, , Probably selling the KLR since the Terra would do it all for what I plan in the future.
What my Brain wants to do and what my body will do is two different things as I quickly approach 70 years on this earth and feel all the old injuries more and more. So it's gonna be Truck to where I really want to ride , Ride, and Truck back to Southwest Louisiana where it's 70 F and sunshine at this moment.
Waiting on all the rest of the report Mark and sorry your pard was injured. Also loving the Mobus trips
I'm thinkin I agree with you----where you are with your life and riding Andy---the TR650 will be good for you---I'm 5'11" and am flat footed on the thing---never thought I'd like that---but you get older----feels good and far fewer tip-overs----and none so far. The Husky will go somewhere far this year---just don't know where yet.

The WR is a very tall bike-----------I have tip-overs with it--but still riding some tough terrain sometimes----but as the years pass I'll have to back off that.

Mark
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #85
Tiggleswerth
Jansport

Oddometer: 236
Hi Big Dog, love your reports! I have noticed that your have run many different tail bags on the 250, which one have you liked best? I know you have run the Wolfman Peak, and now the Wolf Tail. I think I have also seen you run the small motofizz... I just wanted to get your take based on all of your experience.

Thanks!

Janssen

Slow down for the pavement, speed up for the dirt...
Tiggleswerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #86
caljw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spag View Post
Big Dog, Great report. Going to baja in 2 weeks. Do you know if you can ride west from the hot springs over to Laguna Hanson? We are riding GS1200's.

Big Spag
Big Spag...Mark is right Baja is more fun on a smaller bike but Baja can be done on your GS. I've taken my 1150GS on a few trips and never had any major issues, just be careful on your route selection. Most of what BigDog did here with the exeption of that back way out of Mike's is doable on a big bike. http://www.gpsxchange.com is a great resource. Good luck with the trip.
Mark....really enjoyed to report lots of good intel there.
2005 DRZ400s
caljw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #87
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggleswerth View Post
Hi Big Dog, love your reports! I have noticed that your have run many different tail bags on the 250, which one have you liked best? I know you have run the Wolfman Peak, and now the Wolf Tail. I think I have also seen you run the small motofizz... I just wanted to get your take based on all of your experience.

Thanks!

Janssen
Hi Janssen----it depends on the trip which bag i run-------most of my trips I was carrying quite a bit of camping gear--------and cooking gear and used the small wolfman expedition tail bag. This trip we both dropped the cooking gear and I strapped on the Wolfman "wolftail" bag which is way bigger than the peak----it's expandable and has 3 nice big outside pockets---------first time use for this trip ------it worked out great--and I ordered the optional rain cover and had it with me. I bought the wolftail for the Husky TR650 Terra----but it's works great on the WR too.

I still have 2 motofizz bags-----------medium and small----I don't see me using them anymore --------especially the medium one---------it is huge and they have a bigger one that I'd only use in the trunk of the car !!!!
I stuck the medium motofizz on the 950 occasionally--------it seemed to overwhelm it. The 950 is gone---sold it 2 days ago.

The Peak never gets used------except on day rides----- maybe.

Funny---------of all my bikes ----------the WR250R is the one I've chose for my longest and most grueling rides. It's the bike for adventure travel that will be the least likely to turn you away from nasty terrain. It's what I hated about my old GS and even the 950. Great bikes---but will turn me away from some nasty riding--------or make it miserable. And if you can't pick it up---it's unnerving to be riding alone on a big bike.

I never ride my WR on day rides it seems.

Mark
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #88
Tiggleswerth
Jansport

Oddometer: 236
Mark,

Thank you so much! Most of my rides are day rides due to time, and I also agree with downsizing bikes. I have owned a 950, DR650 and KLR650 and I am loving this 250. Just does it all. Thanks again!

Slow down for the pavement, speed up for the dirt...
Tiggleswerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #89
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Mark,
Thanks for another GREAT ride my friend!!!
I can't wait to go back!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #90
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
Mark,
Thanks for another GREAT ride my friend!!!
I can't wait to go back!!!

Scott

Yes it was great----------short but sweet--------we will be back !!!!!!!

Mark