Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #2866
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Snow was forcasted here today, but instead we had a nice sunny mudbath with friends in the woods today

L
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #2867
bigbluecreek
Wish I was in Mexico

Oddometer: 9
Bike performed awesome

Me and friend recently road our bikes to Mazatlan. Here is a picture of the 250L all loaded as I had it set up on the trip. it performed perfectly as we went over 3000 miles...the biggest issue was probably the rear shock in that it does not have much rebound. With the load, I had to always make sure i was on a slope or had kickstand in a hole.

One of my favorite pictures. I have more pics and information if anyone would like.
bigbluecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2868
Esa505
Mopokuski

Oddometer: 7
Thanks bigbluecreek, great pics . Please share with us more pics and how CRF works as a long distance traveler and what modifications you have done to your bike, I am sure this is something that many CRF owners (including me) are wondering when we are planning our upcoming adventures.
Esa505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2869
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluecreek View Post

Me and friend recently road our bikes to Mazatlan. Here is a picture of the 250L all loaded as I had it set up on the trip. it performed perfectly as we went over 3000 miles...the biggest issue was probably the rear shock in that it does not have much rebound. With the load, I had to always make sure i was on a slope or had kickstand in a hole.

One of my favorite pictures. I have more pics and information if anyone would like.
best post ever.
and makes a BIG statement about the new Honda. Someone bust out a trip to Alaska, and the Arctic Circle.

Poor cell phone pics,sorry. I LOVE the new Yoshimura pipe. I went with the full stainless system and carbon end cap. Craftsmanship is amazing. As good as airplane parts I've seen. Not loud at all. I think it puts out just about the right amount of sound. There is a removable insert in the end cap but I'm happy with it. I'd had much louder pipes before. It could be the highest quality part on the bike.
Running the EJK fuel controller and so far no hiccups. I put 3 ea. 1" vent buttons in the airbox lid. I've touched nothing else in the engine and systems, I have left the backfire screen on the air filter. I was thinking about the physical support it offers the paper element but also the complete smoothing effect the grill contributes. Also on pressure pulses back through the airbox; the sieve effect the grill produces works both ways.

(I'm professionally resistant to think I can out-engineer any thing they've done, even with 40 years riding and building bikes. Nothing about intakes, textures, shapes, materials, mixtures... I always remember that Honda didn't make a "best guess" about any of it. These are all figured to the T. For the good but also the bad. On a Honda, you must always be careful to not over-torque any fastener in the engine castings.)

The pipe diameter would work fine on a 500 cc engine. A huge difference over stock.
No restrictions in this one.
My 1982 Honda FT500 didn't have the flow of this large diameter tubing.

I ride nearly everything on the street or in dry country here and the other places I go are also dry country, so I'm sacrificing the little bit of deep water crossing and it's possible issues.
3 buttons in the lid for try-out. May go back stock on this. I'm more concerned with rain protection because when we do get rain, it's usually in huge Great Plains thunderstorms. I've had to ride home in rain coming down 1" hour.
They don't make any more intake roar as far as I can tell.

And finally, I put this little windshield on there, mostly just for looks.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...10024-025.html

Bake screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 12:01 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #2870
bigbluecreek
Wish I was in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa505 View Post
Thanks bigbluecreek, great pics . Please share with us more pics and how CRF works as a long distance traveler and what modifications you have done to your bike, I am sure this is something that many CRF owners (including me) are wondering when we are planning our upcoming adventures.
I will do my best to try and remember all i have done and added. I am not that tall so first of all i added the Kouba Lowering Link and lowered the front shocks about 3/4".
Added Hand guards.
Windshield and front rack is from TCI Products.
Back Rack and bags are from TCI products also. The pelican case mounts to a removable bracket all from TCI Products.
Mounted the extra gas tank to the top of Pelican Case. The other mount on the pelican case is my SPOT Connect tracking device.
On the handle bars I had a RAM Mount for GPS with XM Satellite and also had a RAM mount for my phone. I direct wired the GPS but added a 12v charger to plug in cell phone...cheap from Walmart but best one i have found and has spring loaded cover.
I also had connection for my heated gear that i used everyday and the battery held up just fine. Once i was getting gas and forgot to turn off for about 20 minutes and the bike wouldnt start. We let it set for 30 mins and it started right up. I had Gerbing heated gloves, socks, pants, and jacket and it all worked at the same time on high for very long periods at a time. Never once thought it affected the bike.
Wolmann tank bag also.
This is probably the main list of items i added or changed.
Again the bike performed unbelievably great!! We rode in wind with gust over 50 MPH, snow, ice, rain, and some of the worst fog i have ever been in. The bike struggled going into strong winds and uphill. A few times it would drop down to 50-55mph and i would have to shift down to maintain.....a little extra power on the top end would have been nice a few times but i was loaded down also.
Hope i am not boring everyone, I can add more details if wanted.
FYI...Bike is in shop getting new back tire. I had 650 miles on when we left and now about 3700 miles. Tire wasnt completly worn out but i didnt want to trust it anymore. The tire was the factory IRC and i am replacing with the Kenda.
I'll add some pics...

Pics of bikes at friends house in Mazatlan....my friend was riding a Yamaha WR250R.

Bikes in Hotel Catedral Lobby Durango.
I have more pics of the bike but i am uploading them. If you want more pics let me know and i will post. Just didnt want to post to many if this isnt the best forum/place to post them in.
1970 Honda CT 70
1969 Honda CT 70
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2871
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluecreek View Post
I will do my best to try and remember all i have done and added. I am not that tall so first of all i added the Kouba Lowering Link and lowered the front shocks about 3/4".
Added Hand guards.
Windshield and front rack is from TCI Products.
Back Rack and bags are from TCI products also. The pelican case mounts to a removable bracket all from TCI Products.
Mounted the extra gas tank to the top of Pelican Case. The other mount on the pelican case is my SPOT Connect tracking device.
On the handle bars I had a RAM Mount for GPS with XM Satellite and also had a RAM mount for my phone. I direct wired the GPS but added a 12v charger to plug in cell phone...cheap from Walmart but best one i have found and has spring loaded cover.
I also had connection for my heated gear that i used everyday and the battery held up just fine. Once i was getting gas and forgot to turn off for about 20 minutes and the bike wouldnt start. We let it set for 30 mins and it started right up. I had Gerbing heated gloves, socks, pants, and jacket and it all worked at the same time on high for very long periods at a time. Never once thought it affected the bike.
Wolmann tank bag also.
This is probably the main list of items i added or changed.
Again the bike performed unbelievably great!! We rode in wind with gust over 50 MPH, snow, ice, rain, and some of the worst fog i have ever been in. The bike struggled going into strong winds and uphill. A few times it would drop down to 50-55mph and i would have to shift down to maintain.....a little extra power on the top end would have been nice a few times but i was loaded down also.
Hope i am not boring everyone, I can add more details if wanted.
FYI...Bike is in shop getting new back tire. I had 650 miles on when we left and now about 3700 miles. Tire wasnt completly worn out but i didnt want to trust it anymore. The tire was the factory IRC and i am replacing with the Kenda.
I'll add some pics...

Pics of bikes at friends house in Mazatlan....my friend was riding a Yamaha WR250R.

Bikes in Hotel Catedral Lobby Durango.
I have more pics of the bike but i am uploading them. If you want more pics let me know and i will post. Just didnt want to post to many if this isnt the best forum/place to post them in.
Looks like an awesome trip, weather too cold, head south........was that a 1.75 gal. Rotopax?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #2872
bigbluecreek
Wish I was in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Looks like an awesome trip, weather too cold, head south........was that a 1.75 gal. Rotopax?
the gas can is Kolpin, got it from TCI products also...its 1.5 gallons.
1970 Honda CT 70
1969 Honda CT 70
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #2873
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Lots of holes in the air box was a very popular modification of the Yamaha WR250R and it helped a lot.Removing the snorkel from other motorcycles I have had (XR400R & KLR650) seemed inconclusive. From a fluid mechanics standpoint, removing the snorkel seems to trade a smooth tube with a reduced cross section with a sharp edged hole with a larger cross section for a net gain of possibly nothing. For sure removing the snorkel you'll make more noise. Having said that I bought a spare CRF airbox lid, and airbox. They are 8 and 18 dollars respectively so I can hack them up...If I don't like it, I can go back. Perforating the lid does work on XR400's, but of course it makes fording deep streams dangerous. Also, removing the backfire screen and the aluminum sheet with the larger perforations from the stock filter may be troublesome also. The large perforation sheet probably acts as a stop to keep the folded paper filter from turning itself inside out. For those who have done this modification, I'd suggest they check the filter very frequently looking for rips...just hold it up to a bright light. Since a single cylinder engine has lots of pulsing in the flow, that folded fabric is constantly beaten back and forth. I'm hoping Twin Air or other knowledgeable aftermarket filter folks come up with a foam filter for the CRF. Twin Air already makes one for the CRF250R.
I just "sacraficed" an air filter element by removing the screen and the perforated metal (a backfire control device). There is about 2mm gap between the perforated metal + 2 layer screen backfire control element and the folder paper filter media. I will revise my comments (concerns) above about removing this air flow restriction. I no longer believe the backfire screen subassembly provides any support for the paper filter media. I will save the screen for a future experiment on the stock spark arrestor.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #2874
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I just "sacraficed" an air filter element by removing the screen and the perforated metal (a backfire control device). There is about 2mm gap between the perforated metal + 2 layer screen backfire control element and the folder paper filter media. I will revise my comments (concerns) above about removing this air flow restriction. I no longer believe the backfire screen subassembly provides any support for the paper filter media. I will save the screen for a future experiment on the stock spark arrestor.
I was looking at that as well, The stock paper sure feels strong to me.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #2875
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Top Clamp specs

I am about to purchase HDB hand gaurds and bar set up.

Does anybody know what Top Clamp I should order ? I'm thinking 100X38/40mm

link to site...

I am also having trouble finding the stock bar measurements

Thanks

gnath9 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 02:40 PM
Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #2876
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

New Parts

Look what showed up yesterday
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #2877
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
Look what showed up yesterday
holy credit card balance!

nice job, now git to work!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #2878
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
holy credit card balance!

nice job, now git to work!
lol ... I have been saving up for this. What you don't see is the Race Tech shock, the Corbin seat and the HDB bars and gaurds set up. I also am pretty sure I will get a Scotts Damper as well.

I am 50 yrs old and it was either this or a Harley .... so I think I am money ahead !!!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #2879
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
like I tell my wife, a grand here, a grand there, who cares it's only money

blah blah blah

it keeps me out of the taverns I tell her!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #2880
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
like I tell my wife, a grand here, a grand there, who cares it's only money

blah blah blah

it keeps me out of the taverns I tell her!
I am a single full time Dad so we do what we want. I got him a CRF80F and we are going to build some memories this summer for sure. He just started to get the hang of it last year. Hopefully next year I can upgrade him to a 150