Oddometer: 412
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Just downloaded. Looks very cool.
Thanks!

***Edit***
Ipad Mini IOS 6.1
Pictures seem to show up but no articles after the Aerostich ad.
The video works in the beginning and the pictures look great. Just no text after the ad.
Also, if you could add a way to either zoom the page or increase font size, that would help. The mini is small.

***ReEdit***
After closing the app and reopening, all is fine except the small fonts.
We had a couple of people have this problem. It was resolved by restarting the iPad. However, this response is well taken. The first generation iPads may not run this as well as we would like. Some of the issues reside in the animations we have in the app. In subsequent issues, we will still have that. But we are scaling them down a bit to get better performance.

Thanks for posting this, and thanks to everyone else, as well! Naturally, we want you to enjoy the content. But usability is important. We really do appreciate feedback on this. It helps us make it better.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Well, I spent my afternoon enjoying reading your moto journal... very nice pics too.

The one suggestion I could make is to include an overview map of the shown rides.

And since you're here at ADV central, you might want to ask inmates to contribute pertinent articles pro bono for your consideration for upcoming editions.
GB - That is a great idea. In later issues, we will be doing route reports. When we do, we will definitely include maps. We even want to include route files that can be downloaded and used on GPS.

And, we would LOVE to get more contributors. Anyone who is interested in having us publish an article should contact me anytime!!! We want to make as robust as it can be. Contributors help with that more than anything.

We are looking for the following submissions:
- Articles in increments of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 words
- Articles can be route reports, reflections, creative non-fiction, and /or even poetry
- Photography Submissions for our "Photos from the Outland" section. This section will be in each issue
- Photography submissions should be as hi-res as possible. RAW, HI-res JPG, or PSD files are great.

Anyone interested can PM me here or email me at outlandmoto@gmail.com. They can also contact us from our web site (www.outlandmoto.com).
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi_inrem View Post
*snip*
The first generation iPads may not run this as well as we would like. Some of the issues reside in the animations we have in the app. In subsequent issues, we will still have that. But we are scaling them down a bit to get better performance. *snip*
Ipad Mini isn't first gen, it's current although based on the a5 vs a6 processor.
Once I forcibly closed the app and reopened, all works great and no performance issues at all.

Oh, and thanks again! I love the interactive and multimedia setup vs my other 'magazines' on Zino that are just traditional print turned digital.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Ipad Mini isn't first gen, it's current although based on the a5 vs a6 processor.
Once I forcibly closed the app and reopened, all works great and no performance issues at all.

Oh, and thanks again! I love the interactive and multimedia setup vs my other 'magazines' on Zino that are just traditional print turned digital.
Thanks trc.rhubarb!! Like I said. We hope to get you all more content soon! Issue 1 is slated for March 31st.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
I'm not meaning to bitch, just want you to know there seems to be issues with the app. In fact, the one I'm using is an iPad2 and no joy. I even re-booted and it worked for a couple of pages, then images only again (no text).
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
I'm not meaning to bitch, just want you to know there seems to be issues with the app. In fact, the one I'm using is an iPad2 and no joy. I even re-booted and it worked for a couple of pages, then images only again (no text).
It's not bitching at all. In fact, I appreciate it. We tested the app on all the different iPads that are out there. But being a first release, we figured there might be some problems. We are looking into it now. Admittedly, we have not been able to replicate that issue yet on the iPad2 (at least the ones we have). We were aware of some limitations with the iPad 1's memory. But I will get back to you very soon, as we are looking into what may be causing that. I will post what we find here, so stay tuned. And thanks for letting us know!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Thanks. I love the concept and confident you'll get the bugs worked out. If you need an idiot to idiot-proof it FYI, the iPad2 I was using just installed the latest iOS.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Thanks. I love the concept and confident you'll get the bugs worked out. If you need an idiot to idiot-proof it FYI, the iPad2 I was using just installed the latest iOS.
Thanks JTT!! We're on the case. I'll get back to you soon!!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Just downloaded this. Great pix and read! Look forward to future issues. Works great on my Mini"

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 599
I downloaded it, as did my father. It looks very well put together (on the new ipads with retina display (v6.1) and we are already looking forward to the next.... does anyone else think that, with all of the moving images, it 's like reading a harry pottery book? Also agree with the next post... would like to be able to click to enlarge the photos! With that said... I can only imagine the time it takes to put one of the mags together!

Clay Spinner screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:12 PM
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
CNS-IT
Let Go

Oddometer: 530
Just downloaded the App on my iPad 3 32-gb with Retina display, running OS 6.1.

My observations:

After downloading and installing, I told it to open, and it did but the picture on the opening page did not open, just a grey square in the lower left corner. I closed the app and re-opened it and all worked normally.

The pages seem to load a bit slowly, as compared to my Men's Health magazine app.

The pictures look good at a hi-res, my only request would be to be able to tap on the photos in the article to get a full screen view. For example, on page 2 of the Rescued on Trial Ridge article, I would like to be able to tap on the picture of the snow covered Rockies, that is in the middle of the screen, to make it full size.

Nice writing, good layout, look forward to more.

My $0.02 worth, if that.

Alan
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Thumb Updates to usability comments

First, I really appreciate the comments you all have provided. It helps us make it better in future issues. We did some looking into the screen issues some of you mentioned. I think we found the issue and are working to correct it now. This should help with both non-retina and retina screens. I will update you all here within the next day or so when we get it updated.

Thanks again for all of your responses.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #28
Cheetaz
Overland Expo

Oddometer: 55
Great job, just downloaded it! Can't wait to read. Always fun to enjoy others adventures, and now free and in digital format!
1989 Honda NX250
Cheetaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Talking Update to usability comments (continued)

We are confident that we found the issue some are experiencing with page loading. We are fixing that now, and an update will be available soon (this evening or tomorrow). I will update everyone here on how to get the patch. Thanks again to everyone for your comments. We are very excited that we can provide something like this to everyone!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #30
OUTLAND MOTO OP
And then suddenly....

Thumb Issue 0 Updated

A few of you had an issue with pages loading in our first issue. We looked into the problem and think we found it. In short (and we can't believe we missed this), we were using an image format that was affecting performance. We changed that and you can update your downloaded issue through the following quick steps. I will walk you through it.

Step 1:
Open the Newsstand app so you are at the following screen. Once you are there, choose "Archive" from your choices. This will remove the current issue from your system.

Step 2:
Newsstand will give you an alert that the issue is about to be removed from your iPad. Confirm this by choosing "Archive" from the alert. Refer to the image below.

Step 3:
Next to the Thumbnail of the issue cover, you can now choose "Download". This will download the new, updated copy of the magazine.

This will give you a new copy of the magazine with the updated image formats. And this should resolve the issue a few of you experienced. Please post here and let us know whether this helped at all. Unfortunately, we have not been able to exactly replicate the problem experienced here. So we are not positive that this is the issue. But, from our research, we are fairly confident that this fix will help. Thanks all!!!