User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
scooterintexas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Thanks for the suggestions

Some good suggestions. I'm going to take a look at the Darien Light and First Gear HT. The regular Darien and Klim Traverse are probably a little too heavy/warm for my needs now. I like the idea of the Aerostich products because I'll probably get one of their jackets when mine wears out.
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
I tried them on yesterday, but they apparently didn't have my size. They felt snug when I had my jeans on and the liner out, better when I just wore the outerpant and my boxers, but there was no way I could have put them over my jeans with the liner in. Do you ever wear them like that?
Never have worn without pants and I bought the size for the pants I wear.
I wear them over jeans, khakis and sometimes suit pants.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #18
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,375
I wear Darien pants on the bike. I used to wear First Gear HT2 pants.

They both have full-length side zippers, but the HT2 have full-length velcro that makes the zipper a royal pain to use. They are simply more time-consuming to get on and off which is fine once in a while, but gets old fast, especially on those days when riding is comfortable but you want to shed a layer fast in a hot parking lot. The HT2 are not available with long inseam for waists under 34". These have multiple layers of lighter fabric which flap a lot in the wind.

The Darien zippers have inside and outside flaps, but less than a foot of velcro at the hip so they go on and off easier. The flaps don't LOOK weather-secure, but they work perfectly. The Dariens are available in many sizes and can be modified right there in Duluth. The regular Dariens have a single laminated layer which doesn't flap so much in the wind. The armor in the Dariens is far better than the foam padding in the HT2s.

Both pants keep the water out and keep some warmth in.

For me, the shape of the Darien waist fits far better -- the pants just stay there. I was always pulling up the HT2. Mine are both 32" waist.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #19
scooterintexas OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
For me, the shape of the Darien waist fits far better -- the pants just stay there. I was always pulling up the HT2. Mine are both 32" waist.
Funny that you mention that, even walking around the store I had to keep pulling up the HT2. They always felt like they were falling down. Guess I need bigger hips!
scooterintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 775
I've got both the Dariens and the BMW Cover pants. Bmws are heavier, but both work good.
btw, am selling both pants, 30 waist, cause I'm with the Rukka crowd now

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
Keep in mind that the AD1 are IIRC not made in the USA...

I like my Darien pants for three season and my airglides for summer. (I've only used the airglide liners under the Darien on rides that were REALLY cold, like below freezing.

If you think the airglides were heavy, you will think just about everything on the market is heavy, since it's hard to get protecting and windblocking with out a little bit of mass.

Good luck on your search.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 339
+ 1 on the Darien Lights. If it's cold or raining, just slip em on over jeans and when conditions warrant slip em off. I've ridden in weather down into the 20's they will keep you plenty warm.
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Check out Motoport.....they are in San Marcos Cali.. Great gear,and probably the best protection you'll find!.I have their Stretch kevlar over pants......fantastic!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #24
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
AD1 is waterproof and windproof, and easy to get on and off. They have almost no insulating value though, so don't count on them to keep you warm. Similarly, above about 80 degrees, they're too hot. I haven't, and wouldn't wear them without pants underneath. They're good commuter pants for the fall and spring, that's about it.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
Gianp
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Motoport

Its been mentioned before, but I absolutely love my Motoport pants. I have the Mesh kevlar material. I tried out the Firstgear offerings and neither would slip over a riding boot. I felt the whole point of having an overpant was that taking off your boots would not be necessary. The motoport ones are 20 seconds on or off. My brother and a friend bought a pair for themselves as soon as they saw mine.

Finally, they are custom tailored to your size, and they are made in the US. The quality is impeccable.
Gianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,288
AD1's for me. Went to Aerostich, tried them all on. AD1's were were the clear winners for me. Had Olympias, Firstgear, BMW Summer 2, some others.

AD1 lites are new, dunno about them.

Take your measurements, and phone them. Trust their recommendations, they know their product.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterintexas View Post
Do you always wear them as an overpant, or do you ever wear them over shorts or your underwear?
I haven't worn them with shorts, but I have worn them with some very thin Columbia sport pants. They were fine with those. They do have an interesting feature that I'm not sure a lot of others have. There are two different snaps on the sides so you and tighten or loosen them as needed based on what you have underneath. That, in combination with the belt should leave you plenty of room to adjust to different layers.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #28
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
AD1 is waterproof and windproof, and easy to get on and off. They have almost no insulating value though, so don't count on them to keep you warm. Similarly, above about 80 degrees, they're too hot. I haven't, and wouldn't wear them without pants underneath. They're good commuter pants for the fall and spring, that's about it.
I will respectfully disagree with this one. I thought they would be too hot as well, but that hasn't been the case. In the summer, I loosen the cuff and air gets up pretty well. They are no hotter than anything else that offers any protection. My previous pants were Olympia mesh and I really don't notice much difference, even on 95+ days here in VA. In the winter, I wear long underwear or heated liners and I adjust the cuff so it is tight around my boot. In that configuration, I have ridden down to 8 this year.

I'm not a fan of the Darien jacket for a variety of reasons and I'm not a shill for the sake of trying to get others to believe me, but I swear my Darien pants in gray have been the best piece of gear I've owned. I am a 12 month commuter and the Dariens just work where everything else has compromises. If I did touring, I'd look for something more tailored ) not an overpant) but for how I use them, these are perfect.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #29
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
They do have hip armor pockets and they're quite visible. Maybe you have an older model?
I bought them in December, so I'm assuming they're not an older model. I will definitely have to look again. Maybe I should wear my glasses this time.

Thanks for prompting me to take a second look.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #30
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I just switched from my long term AreoStich to the KLIM Badlands Pro gear.

The KLIM Gore-Tex gear is water-proof. If you want a great 4 season garment, the KLIM Gore-Tex is probably the best on the market It's guaranteed to be water proof and my Badlands Pro gear proved to be 100% water-proof.
I also bought the SIDI Armada Gore-Tex boots and they're water proof too. Excellent gear, IMO.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote