ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
fallingoff
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: syd oz
Oddometer: 3,677
ur a great bloke
i have seen a few outfits where the wheel chair goes up a ramp
and into the chair sect
maybe take the chair carcass off

knock up a special ride up chair with removable ramp
maybe out of marine ply.

then you just belt/bolt the wheelchair in

maybe a intercom system as well

good luck

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
So just a quick suggestion from my friend who is an OT/AT but what about having his OT/PT meet you at his house to help or consult with you to secure him in correctly? Without having control of his body, the shift in his body weight may have a drastic effect on your control. Apparently, Texas has a great Assistive Technology program and you may be able to find someone willing to donate their time to adapt something for you. It is worth a shot to ensure such a great friend security and safety.

PS I love what you are doing and think it's a great thing! More friends should be like you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
It may sound like more work than you want to put into it, but Summit Racing sells light-weight plastic racing seats that already have the holes for 5-point harnesses for $35. They have 6 threaded inserts molded into the bottom for easy install. I've had a set in my old jeep for 15 years now. Link: Plastic Racing Seats

2 great ideas, reading this thread the first thing that came to mind was a 5 point harness, I can check with a few friends from my Portland Speedway days to see if I can get you a loaner.

Good onya for doing this Mr. Cob
__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Snohomish county, Washington USA
Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
2 great ideas, reading this thread the first thing that came to mind was a 5 point harness, I can check with a few friends from my Portland Speedway days to see if I can get you a loaner.

Good onya for doing this Mr. Cob
So my first thought, from my old paramedic days, would be to cut a backboard down to fit and use the side slots to rig up some sort of straps/harness to hold him upright. We used such devices to do car extrications, for example. You could do the same with a piece of plywood and run some buckled straps around the patient and backboard. It is my thought here that the major issue is holding the patient upright. Once he is in the sidecar, he won't be going anywhere, so holding him upright is key.
__________________
Regards,
MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
2 great ideas, reading this thread the first thing that came to mind was a 5 point harness, I can check with a few friends from my Portland Speedway days to see if I can get you a loaner.

Good onya for doing this Mr. Cob
Howdy Tom,

Thanks, that would be great. So many good ideas have been put forth but many involve taking the tub off the frame which for this trip I can't do, I have to come up with something that will work with what I have.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,352
I didn't even think of this

I wonder if a 4 point harness would work? if so I can loan you one WITH a padded seat.............only thing is I need it back by June.



http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...points/4-point
__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I wonder if a 4 point harness would work? if so I can loan you one WITH a padded seat.............only thing is I need it back by June.



http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...points/4-point
Howdy Tom,

Could you send me a photo of the seat, how wide is the seat? If the seat will fit into the sidecar I am sure I could make it work, how many mounting points does the seat belt have, does the back of the seat go up high enough to be used as a head support?

I'll be home from this trip in plenty of time to get it back to you well before June.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #22
pHelix
Eternal n00b
 
pHelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Socialist Nirvana, Orygun
Oddometer: 1,179
How long a ride are you thinking?

Keep in mind that your friend probably has no sensation in his seating area or his feet, and so won't be able to tell if there's a pressure point or similar issue. For a short, around the neighborhood ride, this probably isn't a problem. If you're thinking of a muti-hour ride, he will need to shift position from time to time to avoid pressure sores.

Pressure sores can develop in less than two hours. They can take an eternity and a lot of sacrifice to heal. Pressure points and other irritaints below the level of his spinal cord injury can lead to a potentially fatal condition known as autonomic dysreflexia. Even something as simple and minor as a wrinkle under his butt can trigger AD.

As a retired physical rehabilitation nurse, here's my advice: Your friend probably has a very special seating pad. Consider making use of that under his butt. His heels, knees, ankles and other bony protuberances where he has limited or no sensation will need to be protected. Start with a short ride, haul him back out of the rig and check his skin to make sure no issues are developing. Build up gradually to longer rides. He probably sees a PT from time to time. See if you can get a seating consult.

You can make this work! It will take some careful thought and planning. Good on ya for taking this on.
__________________
Kevin
just beneath the surface of the mud, there's more mud here... Surprise.

'07 R1200GS, '03 DR-Z400
pHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Duck View Post
How long a ride are you thinking?

Keep in mind that your friend probably has no sensation in his seating area or his feet, and so won't be able to tell if there's a pressure point or similar issue. For a short, around the neighborhood ride, this probably isn't a problem. If you're thinking of a muti-hour ride, he will need to shift position from time to time to avoid pressure sores.

Pressure sores can develop in less than two hours. They can take an eternity and a lot of sacrifice to heal. Pressure points and other irritaints below the level of his spinal cord injury can lead to a potentially fatal condition known as autonomic dysreflexia. Even something as simple and minor as a wrinkle under his butt can trigger AD.

As a retired physical rehabilitation nurse, here's my advice: Your friend probably has a very special seating pad. Consider making use of that under his butt. His heels, knees, ankles and other bony protuberances where he has limited or no sensation will need to be protected. Start with a short ride, haul him back out of the rig and check his skin to make sure no issues are developing. Build up gradually to longer rides. He probably sees a PT from time to time. See if you can get a seating consult.

You can make this work! It will take some careful thought and planning. Good on ya for taking this on.
Howdy V-Duck,

Thanks for your post, lots of information I was not aware of and of importance. I'll have to talk to Rick some more but I am hoping we can take the pads from his powered wheel chair and use them on top of the sidecar seat. I doubt that the ride will be a long one, simply because of the stress it will cause to Rick, if we could just ride for a few miles I know it would bring him great joy and fulfill our long ago made plan.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Tom,

Could you send me a photo of the seat, how wide is the seat? If the seat will fit into the sidecar I am sure I could make it work, how many mounting points does the seat belt have, does the back of the seat go up high enough to be used as a head support?

I'll be home from this trip in plenty of time to get it back to you well before June.

Here is the seat, I only measured the inside, but overall it's about 20in



Here is the mounting, just 4 bolts on the bottom for the seat, and the lap belt on the side, didn't get a pic of the shoulder harness, but it loops around the square bar that is next to where the lap belt mounts, right behind the seat, I can get more pics tomorrow if you'd like.

__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan

Road Rash screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 10:38 PM
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Here is the seat, I only measured the inside, but overall it's about 20in



Here is the mounting, just 4 bolts on the bottom for the seat, and the lap belt on the side, didn't get a pic of the shoulder harness, but it loops around the square bar that is next to where the lap belt mounts, right behind the seat, I can get more pics tomorrow if you'd like.

Howdy Tom,

The sidecar is only 17 inches wide at the top of the bottom seat cover and it tapers slightly the rest of the way to the floor of the tub. So the seat you have offered will not work. Thanks for trying to help.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,177
Here's a tutorial on how to make a flotation bag out of pvc fabric and glue that looks adaptable to filling in an odd shape. A little googling brings up the materials mentioned pretty readily, too.

Maybe Mr. T-Edison knows something about this stuff, he is a paddler.


http://www.yostwerks.com/FloatbagA.html
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,656
How about a "spaceframe" made out of 1" pvc pipe. It is close to $1.50 for a 10' stick and doesn't take up much space. You don't need to bend it. Just cut and connect.

Get some couplers, tee's and 90's to connect the different sections. Build it then take apart for travel. You can number the pieces to aid in reassemby after you get there to speed up the process. Use some webbing to secure the spaceframe to the sidecar.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer
 
Mr. Cob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Falls, Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 9,163
Howdy All,

Thanks for the suggestions, I think between a combination of some of your ideas I'll come up with something simple, yet strong and easy to make.
__________________
Dave, aka "Mr. Cob"

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Road Rash
Infamous
 
Road Rash's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: The Original OC, in Oregon
Oddometer: 18,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Tom,

The sidecar is only 17 inches wide at the top of the bottom seat cover and it tapers slightly the rest of the way to the floor of the tub. So the seat you have offered will not work. Thanks for trying to help.
Damn, sorry, I even double checked it tonight, exactly 20in.

There are a lot of other good ideas, and I know you'll make something work.
__________________
"A man can never have too many motorcycles, like any good craftsman you need the proper tool for the job at hand. A man needs more tools than a hammer, the same goes for bikes." ~Mr. Cob~

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #30
thetourist
Just passing thru
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,828
When I read your initial post I flashed onto my stock car seat. Fully captive, head supports, shoulder supports, easy to bolt. Then I read the rest of the posts. Sidecar is just too small for the seat.

But, that means the car can become the lower seat. Maybe some plain old foam for stabilization.

In the pics he appears to have good control of his head. How about his arms? Does he have at least gross control (large movements)? It looks like he contols the chair with hand controls.

Get a sheet of aluminum and put a couple of bends to replicate a stock car seat. Check Butler Built seats. Sides running forward enough to stabilize his torso and arms. Then wedge it into the hack. I've never been in a hack. how far down into the car body do you sit. Shoulders are wider than the seat, etc. Lots of fabrrcation problems.

I'm also thinking something like a lawn chair back wedged into the hack. Maybe a chaise lounge back, which is longer. Or a conduit frame with some webbing, like you originally were thinking. Then wedge something along the sides to hold his arms and torso from falling sideways.

Maybe a thin plywood box affair. Built something like my afformentioned stock car seat. You can bolt ply together with piano hinge. Nuts to the outside. BTDT. Aluminum could be done similar.

This actually sounds like a great project. Good Luck.
__________________
thetourist
The gate guard glares at me. "It's after curfew." He looks me up and down, "What do you think you are, some kind of ****** tourist?" ..Phu Loi 1969
My Idaho =7893
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014