Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
WNWT Day 22 through 28

Ahhh, a week with The Girlfriend in (mostly) sunny Mission Beach San Diego. Daytime temps were 60-70 each day. Shorts and a long sleeve shirt (and a beanie for me) was the daily attire. Got to break out the flippity flops again...

Time goes fast when you're having fun. Since I've been on vacation since Jan 7, this week was more for The Girlfriend than myself so she drove the bus... but of course I had some input. She rented a car, which was a nice option for grabbing groceries and times when we had to navigate the Cali freeways.

As promised, since I missed checking out the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, we went and toured the USS Midway. The view from the captain's seat.

The Girlfriend getting a firm grip on the stick...

Spent some time at Coronado on North Island... we'd never seen a house completely covered like this. Must've been some BAD termites. I'll be the neighbors were freaking out...

I've only been to San Diego once before and it was just passing through so really didn't get to experience much. The Girlfriend has never been here. Interesting culture. Seems like practically everyone is riding the beach cruiser bikes... hundreds of them running around.

Nice to see all the custom cars and motorcycles cruising the streets; and not as Harley-centric as Iowa either.

Another anomaly was the "college bars"... several bars out on Mission Beach were dedicated to specific college teams. On one of our first nights there we found The Boardwalk, which is not only the first place we've ever seen with Natty on tap, they were the Kansas University bar and it was crazy to see all the Kansas fans come streaming in at game time. In San Diego.

This Natty keg was brewed on the date of the last Kansas championship... they seemed pretty proud of it.

Ended up hanging out at the Michigan place later in the week and then finally found the Iowa Hawkeye bar (Pacific Beach Ale House). The Girlfriend was a trooper and did a flight of of their micro-brews (they had a very good wheat and a good amber) but wanted to tapout on the Ahi Poke appetizer.

We spent most of a day at the San Diego Zoo and saw lots of cool critters. The giraffes wanted to pose with The Girlfriend.

We rode down to Point Loma to the Cabrillo National Monument, checked out the old lighthouse, the tide pools, and the old WWII era gun positions and bunkers. Cool stuff.

Rosecrans National Cemetary is down on Point Loma... over 100,000 graves here. Amazing to see.

Checked out Old Town San Diego... didn't have high expectations but ended up having a really good time walking around down there.

On Friday we drove up to Anaheim and visited the Happiest Place on Earth (at least for The Girlfriend)... Disneyland. Wasn't bad. The Space Mountain roller coaster is a favorite, the fireworks were great and most importantly, The Girlfriend was happy.

While we enjoyed and survived the day at Disneyland, the Triumph was at Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego getting an oil change and a new rear tire. They did everything they could to get another Shinko 705 for me but it wasn't going to work out timing-wise... they ended up selling me an Anakee for their cost. Good people. Daniel, the service manager I worked with used to work at Baxter Cycles in Iowa.

Great walks along the beach and the bay. Great weather...

I think we've come to the conclusion that if we ever have a vacation/winter/retirement home... it really needs to be on a beach someplace.

Monday will be another turning point in the trip. The Girlfriend will fly back to Iowa, cold, winter, and work. Me, I'll start making steady progress back to Iowa, but plan on enjoying myself as I go. Looks like Iowa is supposed to have a nice warm streak over the next week or two so will try to get back sooner than later.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote