Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6856
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Milled and decked the head surface, new bronze guides, seals, with some port and bowl work. Should be fun!
Also put a five angle performance valve job on it 75/60/45/30/15 degree's... opened the intake ports to 30.56mm's from the 26.87mm's the head came with, used a bowl hog and enlarged both the intake and exhaust pockets for better/more flow, glass beaded the rocker box and head. Installed new KW valves..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #6857
daviethebiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Question

I recently bought a new chain slider for the swingarm on my 1987 XL600R. When I took the swingarm off I felt reassembly was going to be tough as the swingarm was very hard to get apart from the frame. I cleaning everything and put the new chain guide on and got ready to install the swingarm but I can't get the swingarm to slide into position. Is it easier if I loosen the other engine mount in the rear ? Are there any tricks to make re-installing the swingarm easier ? Thank you.
daviethebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #6858
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed View Post
that is exactly the problem, the xr600 pilot jet was too big for the thread, the honda dealer looked at me

so i bought in the current one and they measured it up and told me to wait 2 weeks for the new one because the only ones they had ready were the same #65! lame!

thanks man
A solution for these jet size is to buy a set of mini carburator reamer, you just enlarge the fuel passage with the mini reamer, and if the hole is too big and you want to reduce your jet size , you just meld some soldering lead in the passage and then you bore it using mini drill bit(Dremel), and then you finish it with your reamer.

I'm reading the all thread and I'm @ page 96...
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #6859
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviethebiker View Post
I recently bought a new chain slider for the swingarm on my 1987 XL600R. When I took the swingarm off I felt reassembly was going to be tough as the swingarm was very hard to get apart from the frame. I cleaning everything and put the new chain guide on and got ready to install the swingarm but I can't get the swingarm to slide into position. Is it easier if I loosen the other engine mount in the rear ? Are there any tricks to make re-installing the swingarm easier ? Thank you.

There must be something else going on here, the swingarm is not that hard to get back in. I have extra wheels with mounted tires ready for a quick swap and on the rear. I scavenged up enough parts to outfit a spare swingarm I have figuring that would be a faster swap than fiddling with axles and adjusters and stuff. The hardest part for me is holding the end caps in place while sliding the swinagarm into place, and that is really not that hard at all.

I would study a parts breakdown online (like Babbits online, or partszilla) and make sure all of the pieces are in their respective places and the dust seals on the ends fit tightly and bottom out on the ends of the arm. Maybe someone folded the seals over in the dust caps and somehow got it forced back together. It would be really hard to bend the frame there making it tighter, and loosening motor mounts wouldn't help anything there either in my opinion, but that is easy enough to try. Swingarms are very much alike between models so even if it were the wrong one it should still fit. i think 500, 600, 650l, even 250 and 350 all interchange easily.

I would try to test fit it without the seals on the end first to see what the measurement is between the frame and arm, then go from there. If someone assembled it with pieces missing and pinched it together there, I bet you could jack it back out with a bottle jack or similar device.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #6860
daviethebiker
Adventurer

Thank you davek181. I had tried the bottle jack yesterday and again today, even after loosening the other engine mount, but I just couldn't get it to fit. After taking a little break and relaxing I went out and the swingarm went in with a little extra push and jiggling. I went to assemble the pro-link and noticed I had another stripped nut for one of the linkage bolts. The linkage is cleaned, regreased and assemble, just need the last nut to finish. Riding days are with me again !
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #6861
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviethebiker View Post
Thank you davek181. I had tried the bottle jack yesterday and again today, even after loosening the other engine mount, but I just couldn't get it to fit. After taking a little break and relaxing I went out and the swingarm went in with a little extra push and jiggling. I went to assemble the pro-link and noticed I had another stripped nut for one of the linkage bolts. The linkage is cleaned, regreased and assemble, just need the last nut to finish. Riding days are with me again !
A little late but I found the swing arm goes in really easy if you pull it through from in front of it's mount point rather than pushing it in through the back. Don't know if that trick works with the motor in though.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #6862
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
Also put a five angle performance valve job on it 75/60/45/30/15 degree's... opened the intake ports to 30.56mm's from the 26.87mm's the head came with, used a bowl hog and enlarged both the intake and exhaust pockets for better/more flow, glass beaded the rocker box and head. Installed new KW valves..
Yeah, What he said
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6863
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 347
Hid

Anyone put one in? Experience with them, trouble, one to stay away from? I would am thinking of doing it. Should just need a H4/9003 kit to do it with. Just wondering about any feedback on it. Also I have ask this before, but is there a source for carb bowl orings?

Thanks Chris
Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #6864
brokeagain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
O-rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
Anyone put one in? Experience with them, trouble, one to stay away from? I would am thinking of doing it. Should just need a H4/9003 kit to do it with. Just wondering about any feedback on it. Also I have ask this before, but is there a source for carb bowl orings?

Thanks Chris
Honda still sells gasket kits for the carburetors, and should be able to be ordered from any online store or motorcycle shop. I'm not sure if they sell the individual O-rings, but I did just pick up two gasket kits a couple of months ago. I don't know if there are different gasket kits for the different year bikes, because the carbs change slightly (at least between '83 and '84).

Hope that helps.
brokeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #6865
davek181
Studly Adventurer

I haven't done the HID conversion but I have pondered it. The advantages of course are the higher light output, but the disadvantages outweigh that in my opinion.

The major disadvantage on an XL is the necessary Dc conversion to the headlight. I have read stories of lights shutting off due to voltage and/or battery reserves being low, and an XL is marginal that way anyhow since the DC circuitry is not utilized or designed very heavy. Bulb expense and vibration resistance fears compound my reluctance.

Maybe as an auxiliary light but there I would probably opt for LED driving lights instead keeping in mind current draw limitations.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #6866
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,203
I broke a zerk off of my linkage..... Now what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #6867
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,022
Easy out or left hand drill bit.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #6868
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
replace factory air box

In the process is putting my XL600 back together and want to do something a little different with the air filter. I would like to install dual air filters directly on the carbs and by-pass the factory air box. My factory air box is pretty beat up already and the rubber snorkels makes remove and installing the carbs very difficult.

Has anyone documented their successful factory air box replacement? Have not have not found anything whilst searching.
If I removed the air box completely, then where does one mount the battery and related wiring?

TIA
cam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #6869
davek181
Studly Adventurer

My experience with aftermarket air filters, especially pod filters, especially K&N is that they are slightly better than no filter at all. They will filter out the sticks and rocks, but let damaging dust come right through. If you are running on only pavement and never in the dust, then maybe your rings will last a little longer.

I would hunt eBay for a better air filter box if yours is damaged beyond belief and run either a factory Honda( preferable and still available ) or a twin air filter.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #6870
daviethebiker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I too need just the bowl gaskets, and can't seem to find them individualy
I think partzilla .com has the bowl gaskets but they include the O-ring for the drain bolt at the bottom of the float bowl for $23.75. I have got a few things from them lately and the shipping was fair and took about 5-6 days with the ceap shipping.