User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #136
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Cheers.
That button is the 'keep this bit' button for the helmet camera.
The camera (when batterys are good and memory card isn't full) records continuously in a loop deleting video older than 1 minute unless I press the keep me button at which point it keeps the current bit and anything that happened in that minute before. Second button on the remote is stop recording.
Tis why I held my finger above the button and showed Ryan me pushing it right before he gave me the finger (or could have been just a shaking fist) right after he did his backward roll off the bike manoeuvre. You fell in front of me... 'keep this bit'....this is going on YT ! He knew what I was doing. lol.

TransalperNZ screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:54 PM
TransalperNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #137
Cromagnon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Nice video TA, what camera are you using these days?
Cromagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #138
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromagnon View Post
Nice video TA, what camera are you using these days?
Cheers.
Camera for that ride was the VIO P.O.V. - HD camera. It's an expensive one and I have mixed feelings about that camera overall.
Some different features to the GoPro HD 1 but the latter GoPro's are getting better except the latest version is full of bugs.
Sony have an interesting one here now with their Steady Shot feature - digital anti shake. Their picture is better, sound is the worst though.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #139
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransalperNZ View Post
Cheers.
That button is the 'keep this bit' button for the helmet camera.
The camera (when batterys are good and memory card isn't full) records continuously in a loop deleting video older than 1 minute unless I press the keep me button at which point it keeps the current bit and anything that happened in that minute before. Second button on the remote is stop recording.
Tis why I held my finger above the button and showed Ryan me pushing it right before he gave me the finger (or could have been just a shaking fist) right after he did his backward roll off the bike manoeuvre. You fell in front of me... 'keep this bit'....this is going on YT ! He knew what I was doing. lol.
Ya bastard Yes I knew exactly what you were up too. That was the ADV salute I gave you. I was absolutely stuffed when I fell over. No where near fit enough for that riding that sort of terrain the way I like to at the moment.

I noticed you didn't include the fact that it took you TWO attempts to get up that knarly bit of hill on the Awakino

05 KTM 450 EXC
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #140
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
I noticed you didn't include the fact that it took you TWO attempts to get up that knarly bit of hill on the Awakino
I think I did... the bit immediately before the wheelie crash is attempt 1, the wheelie crash attempt 2, then you pulled me over to the near side and away we went with out any more problems so didn't include the last bit. Or are you thinking off something else?
Record button didn't work every time I pushed it, I've noticed a couple of scenes missing I thought I had.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #141
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Ah interesting. So you can only video short bits? Or once you push the keep thjis button it carries on recording ill you push the stop button?
I noticed it refocussed during the river crossing to - was that you or did it do it automatically?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #142
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,196
Top work Transalper! If a fraction of the people with helmet cams could do as good a job as that taking, editing & posting vids nobody would need a TV.

I got caught out on that same hill on the Awakino, was just bumbling along, came around the corner & "!" For want of just a wee bit of momentum I had to stop/start/spin/rev/zigzag my way up. After that every suspicious uphill corner was attacked with more enthusiasm so I didn't get caught out again.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #143
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

lol, nice Clint.

Padders, I can pretty much set the camera to do any combination of things, I like to set mine now days to 'Loop + Forward' and a '1 minute loop time'... so yes this way once I tell it to keep a loop it keeps that last minute and then continues keeping until I press stop.
I then press record to start a new loop and later when something good happens record again to keep that loop+ forward etc.
It can be set to do a conventional start stop or just keep a loop like 1minute/30seconds (what ever you choose) each side of the button press without needing to press stop but some things go on and you miss the end with that.
Camera is a set focus device so no re-focusing can happen.
I'm guessing what you saw was from my hand held camera with zoom at the Waimati Forests slimy bouldery river, that lost focus a couple of times... or maybe YT's compression blurring the smaller features of distance a bit like is noticeable in the wider easier crossing just before.

TransalperNZ screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:31 PM
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #144
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 805
We got stopped at that hill as well, took me 2 goes, lost traction, backed down to the bottom and idled up. Rigley on the other hand managed to spin his DRZ around and almost go over the bank, but faceplanted the front wheel and gave himself a dead leg. Then along came Buddha and his bro on a GS. A few attempts to get the GS up failed so three of us pushed it up. We were there a wee while and athere were quite a few incidents. It was a tough wee hill that i don't recall from previous years.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #145
cooneyr
terra firma rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
I think I did... the bit immediately before the wheelie crash is attempt 1, the wheelie crash attempt 2, then you pulled me over to the near side and away we went with out any more problems so didn't include the last bit. Or are you thinking off something else?....
Thats exactly what I was thinking. First time you stopped and second time you crashed (then we backed up a little to the uphill side and off you went).

I don't feel so bad about my bumbling (falling over and almost losing it in the rain run) being on YT for all to see now. I cleaned that little hill. Then again if an EXC can't do it . . . . . or was it that I saw TA fail and knew to get on it

(DOH - watched the vid again last night (31/1/12) and realised you did show your two attempts)

05 KTM 450 EXC

cooneyr screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:16 PM Reason: Doh
cooneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #146
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
That was a deceptive little climb.
Or little group had some issues there too.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #147
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Cheers.
Camera for that ride was the VIO P.O.V. - HD camera. It's an expensive one and I have mixed feelings about that camera overall.
Some different features to the GoPro HD 1 but the latter GoPro's are getting better except the latest version is full of bugs.
Sony have an interesting one here now with their Steady Shot feature - digital anti shake. Their picture is better, sound is the worst though.
Nice footage TA! But you won't quite endorse the VIO? I've had my eye on getting one for a while now - mainly due to the tagging feature, and also cause I like the form factor of a bullet-cam ahead of GoPro's brick.

Must say I'm impressed with some of the latest GoPro footage, but the buggy reports aren't encouraging... Gotta get something before the Big Trip, but I'm still not quite sold on strapping a lunchbox to my head.
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #148
TransalperNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Nice footage TA!
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
But you won't quite endorse the VIO?....
A whole another thread really.
Big list of pluses and minuses for all cameras and this one wasn't the be all and end all I thought it might be.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #149
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
I think I'd still go for the GoPro 3 Black myself.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #150
NZDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great vid, she's a hard road to get 4 mins of mostly head cam footage and make it watchable

How was the WR250R over the distance?
NZDave is offline   Reply With Quote