Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,834
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #33
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Docking Pilot's Crew checking in

Boys you are in for another treat from our Cap'n.
Another fantastic ride!

The weather gods smiled on us again as they usually do, blessing us with brilliant sunshine and ideal temps. Ok, maybe we had one day late in the trip that was a bit warm but we will get to that.

Trip planning, trip planning, trip planning......
Did I say trip planning? Frank and Mike handled the trip planning with advice from Dr. Tony Huegel (Doctor of Byways). A full year of planning and researrch once again resulted in great riding every day. Great scenery, a couple of great camp spots, some challenges (glad I was on the WR).

Thanks again to the best riding crew; Bruce, Frank and Mike.

JB
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #34
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,474
Day 2 continued

Chopaka Mountain Rd would introduce us to the 1st dirt of the trip. And none too soon in our minds. Todays route would span 181 miles and take us to Lake Chilean.

We enter "the burn" area and crossed Lone Frank Pass. An easy ride allowing us to get our sea legs. The scene was almost surreal. You could see for quite some distance due to the burn. The expanse of the burn was mind boggling to us easterners.

I thought "how can this regenerate" ? "how long will it take" ? We were riding right through what was obviously a massive fire once. At 1st appearing extremely destructive. But as I started to I look closer, I could see mother earth was already regenerating herself and in a spectacular way. She had it all under control.
Wild flowers were bursting

Mike on his German steed. This bike and rider would be challenged to the extreme soon enough. This trip would prove, given a skilled pilot, the massive GSA can handle much more then you would imagine.

The WR was new to John. In a short time, John knew he bought the perfect bike for him. He loved it right from the jump. We certainly did have the full spectrum of big trailies covered. 250-650-950-1200. The little 250 would also prove itself on this trip, but in the opposite way the GSA did. The ying to the GSA's yang.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #35
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 860
more please
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #36
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

We popped out in Conconully mid morning. A small community of friendly people.

We took a coffee break. This was one of those moments fellas (and ladies of course), where you sit down with your coffee, lean back, kick your feet up and it starts to sink in.
All the planning and anticipation is over. Your actually here, doing what you love to do. And it has just begun..............

We ride on.

The Ruby Grade

It would prove to be our 1st challenging section. Of course the photos don't depict the the steep grade as it was, nor the extreme drop off on the immediate starboard side which grabbed your attention.

One of those grades where it was difficult to stop and snap a picture. Your skills at properly working your clutch would be tested when you did in order to get going again.

And now from the cockpit of the GSA

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 06:51 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #37
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
This was one of those moments fellas (and ladies of course), where you sit down with your coffee, lean back, kick your feet up and it starts to sink in.
All the planning and anticipation is over. Your actually here, doing what you love to do. And it has just begun..............
So well said! There is no better feeling in this life than that moment. Your words and pictures are an inspiration.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Day 2 continued

After the Ruby Grade the seas calm down and we are back on an even keel.
What did lie ahead though was a section of deep talcum powder type silt.
While negotiating my 650 single through it I couldn't help but wonder how Mike was doing piloting the GSA through that. She had to be like a wild rhino who was just hit with a branding iron.

Later on we meet up again and both Mike and the GSA were unscathed. Nothing to it it Piazza said.
Yes, we choose our small group of trip participants very carefully. Mike had been vetted a few years earlier and was a new member on our Forever West trip.
In the end, this trip would test Mike and his GSA to a whole new level, and prove just how right we were in inviting him into our circle.

I take a small break and Brucee blows by on the Super Enduro. A bike that has gone places. TAT west, our New England/New Brunswick adventure, Forver West, Maine and now this west coast trip.

This was a fairly long stretch and we were frikin starving ! Thankfully, the route popped us out onto a sealed road in Carlton and just down that road we see:

And thankfully they did have food. Not the greatest offering, but hey, any port in a storm right ?

Being it was Labor Day weekend, we had the foresight to book a Best Western well in advance from home. But we still had the very scenic Cooper Mountain to enjoy before we would descend onto Lake Chilean and the hot tub that awaited us.

Is that water I see ?

Was there a question earlier about packing ?

Lake Chilean becoming larger as we traverse and slowly descend.

We all arrived late afternoon. Brucee already put the SE to bed, shed his riding gear, donned his swimming trunks and was enjoying an ice cream cone as he headed for a swim in the lake. ,
yea kids at heart we were. And loved every minute of it.

Lake Chilean is gin clear. A bit on the cool side, but really was just what the doctor ordered at the end of a great day of riding.
For an easterner, looking at the lake was a sight of a different sort then what we are used too. Lakes by us are corralled by trees and lake houses. Wait, strike that, reverse it, corralled by lake houses and trees.
But here, you have a big sky and unimpeded view of the lake.

After the swim, we hit the hot tub.
Ah yes, this was a vacation after all

Beautiful day. And the weather was to die for.

We showered, shaved, called a cab and went for a beer and dinner.

Life was good. Still is of course.
John caught here in this photo looking at the lovely waitress.
Brucee having maybe just one too many ?

Next up: Day 3, Lake Chilean-Cashmere-Ellensburg.
Where the GSA and it's pilot would be challenged even further as we enter:

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:02 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Ying and Yang

This photo pretty much sums it up.
The BMW Rhino next to the Yamaha Kitty Cat.

With my limited skill set I knew I wanted small and light bike for the challenging sections of this trip. The WR was perfect.
Mike handles that big BMW like Baryshnikov tosses around a small ballerina.

Then there is the packing. I pack the absolute bare minimum. Mike seems to have everything on his bike and can get to it quickly. "Hey Mike I need a left handed No. 2 phillips head screw driver". "No problem John here ya go."

I can't tell ya how many times I was struggling a bit with the little Yamaha and would come out of the section thinking "Oh man that had to kill Mike". Next time we stopped someone would ask Mike how bad it was for him in that tough section. Always the same answer "No problem". We would shake our heads in amazement and tell him how much we thought of his skills. Eventually we stopped asking..... And at one point coming up it caused me a great deal of anxiety.

I've just seen the video of the Ruby Grade from Mike's bike for the first time. Damn! That looks like work.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #40
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,196
well now..DP and crew...thanks for providing a mid winter break...

good lunchtime tv...

what mods were done to the WR?
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 09:08 AM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
byways
byways

Oddometer: 1,910
Hmm ... the way you guys ride through the wild all day, then wrap up at such appealing lodgings. Looks like the perfect vacation mix.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,267
Nice RR Frank..looking forward to more. Can't wait till I'm at the age and financial ability, to do trips like this. Saw your link on the GSMD thread.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #43
byways
byways

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Boys you are in for another treat from our Cap'n.
Another fantastic ride!

The weather gods smiled on us again as they usually do, blessing us with brilliant sunshine and ideal temps. Ok, maybe we had one day late in the trip that was a bit warm but we will get to that.

Trip planning, trip planning, trip planning......
Did I say trip planning? Frank and Mike handled the trip planning with advice from Dr. Tony Huegel (Doctor of Byways). A full year of planning and researrch once again resulted in great riding every day. Great scenery, a couple of great camp spots, some challenges (glad I was on the WR).

Thanks again to the best riding crew; Bruce, Frank and Mike.

JB
I'll give a nod to the Touratech-USA BDR team. They do work hard to compile these routes ... a labor of love.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #44
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

what mods were done to the WR?

I bought the WR used from a friend of Bruce's who is (was) an enduro rider. Let's say he is a man who is a veteran (older than me).

The bike when I bought it was already ideally modified. The suspension was reworked by WER suspension in New Jersey. The suspension on this bike is phenomenal. I dont know what to say other than it just works.

Lowering link
Skid plate
Aftermarket FMF muffler
Power Programmer
Aftermarket bars
Aftermarket mini turn signals
Bashplate

I added:
Oversize fuel tank
New fuel pump
Wolfman racks
Ortliebs bags
Yamaha rear rack
GPS with TT mount

Ran like a champ including the long ride from Seattle to Oroville at 70+mph on the highway.

Only once on the trip at higher elevations on the highway did I have difficulty keeping up with the bigger bikes.

The WR250 is an incredible machine. Just beat the pi55 out of it and it says "is that all you got, gimme more".
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #45
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,165
The Pilot Takes us on Another Epic Ride Out West

Been waiting for this RR and owning a WR just makes it that more fun.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Promote responsible trail riding and trail stewardship.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote