Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Great RR,
If I knew what I know now about pattaya then I would have tried with desperation to invate myself on your ride and leave the wife and inlaws here. That would have been great and if it was possible to find a DRZ400....well I will just finish this beer and cry myself to sleep next to my snoring super wife...and no there should not be a model in that sentance.
LMAO! Yeah, bringing a wife to Pattaya is like bringing sand to the beach
There are tons of bike for rent on beach road though- why don't you send the missus shopping and get out for a ride? There are some decent roads in Rayong, and even better in Chantaburi.
Enjoy the rest of your time in Pattaya, the armpit of Thailand
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #32
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

The single track eventually hooked up with a dirt trail that hooked up with a dirt road that brought us to the small mountain village of La Up and the paved route 1266/1270-

We bought some pricey fuel in La Up and had some snacks and drinks at a little roadside shack.

Returning to Mae Chaem we rode a bit of pavement north-east on the 1266 before finding a nice dirt track that went north, then east through the villages of Huai Ha and Kok Noi-

The last section to Mae Chaem was route 4065 was on an interesting road that was a mix of pavement and cobblestones. I'd never seen a cobblestone road in Thailand before. I can't imagine the amount of man-hours it must have taken to lay all those cobblestones! Approaching Mae Chaem from the mountains in the west on route 4065-

Amazing views of Mae Chaem as we're coming down the mountain on the 4065- I just had to stop to take it all in and snap a pic-

Back to the Mae Chaem resort; the girls there were happy to see us again

We hooked up with a couple Aussie riders that we'd met that morning in Mae Sariang. They were on rented CBR250R's and they'd had a rough day. They had planned to take the nicely paved route to Mae Chaem but some practical joker sent them on a rough as guts dirt road and they'd had a tough go. One of them crashed but damage to bike was only cosmetic and rider was unhurt.

I checked the GT Rider website for restaurant recommendations and it directed us to "Krua Kong Jan" a few km outside of town.

Good grub and million dollar views!

The sunset view from the restaurant (man my phone takes crappy pics in low light...)

Afterwards we rode around with the Aussie dudes looking for a karaoke joint that someone had told us about. Finally found it and was unimpressed. Had a few rounds there and the temperature was dropping fast. Stopped at the PTT to grab a few things before bed and discovered some cuties washing bikes-

Was tempted to have them give my bike a rub down, they seemed like they were up for it Use your imagination for the rest
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT

TonyBKK screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 08:52 PM
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #33
TonyBKK OP
Secret Soi Rider

The final day of our tour has arrived and I don't want it to end! In fact, I've had so much fun that I've decided to leave my bike at Dave's house in Chiang Mai so that I can return in a couple weeks to continue exploring

Today we will ride from Mae Chaem to Chiang Mai. Trent needs to be at the train station by ~4pm to put his bike on the train and then fly back to Bangkok. I plan to meet up with Dave for a late lunch / early dinner at Ian Bungy's X-Centre.

Today's route goes something like this-

Mae Chaem to Mae Na Chon, then a long dirt track east to Mae Chon Luang, the north-east to Huai Tong and depending on what time we reach Huai Tong we'll decide which way to go from there.

We grab a coffee and hot sandwiches at the Mae Chaem PTT before we roll out of town.

We cross the river and take the fantastic dirt track through Sop Chok and Na Hong Tai that we'd ridden with Jake a few days ago, but this time we're looking for a river crossing. It isn't on any map, but I reckon the locals MUST have a crossing to reach the fields on the other side of the Mae Chaem river. Without a crossing they'd have to drive/walk many kilometers to reach their fields.

Sure enough, we sniff it out-

Hmmmm, not sure about taking bikes across this flimsy 2 foot wide bamboo bridge... On the far side (east) the water is pretty deep and fast moving, if we drop a bike in the deep end it'll be a pain in the butt...

Trent tests out the bridge and is none too impressed

Ok, last day, we need to get to CM today, let's not risk it Maybe next time...

We continue a little further north and discover a proper concrete bridge in Sop Chok and we promptly get lost in the corn and lavender fields on the other side

Can you spot Trent in this picture??

We soon find a fantastic track through the fields that climbs up to the tree line and then back down to the main road (1263)

Remember the mountains of corn chaff that we'd been playing in a few days earlier?

Well today they looked like this

I though "oh shit" did we do that?! But to my relief, as we continued to ride we noticed that all of the corn chaff piles had been torched, so it wasn't us, thank goodness! (Trent and I sent the pics to Jake and told him that the cops were looking for him and we had him going for days before we let him in on the little joke)

We stop in Mae Na Chon to top off the tanks and I spot this really cool suspension bridge-

There's a funny old Thai guy who is egging us on to cross it with our bikes, but this bridge swings like crazy and we chicken out...

Some cute kids playing on the suspension bridge in Mae Na Chon, Thailand-

From Mae Na Chon we climb a steep dirt track and I realize once again that I really ought to make an effort to learn to read Thai...

We guess which way to go and end up in this nice lady's yard-

A lovely young hilltribe girl with a baby on her back surprises me with her excellent English and gets us headed in the right direction again, but we've perfected the art of getting lost and soon find ourselves on a lovely forest track that ends at a Buddhist retreat on top of a mountain near Huai Tong-

Here we meet Phra Kong, a monk who is very interested in our journey and map and invites us for lunch (even though he can't eat). We politely decline his offer but spend some time talking with him and learning about the retreat and surrounding area.

Trent and Phra Kong-

It's getting a bit late and Trent is worried about getting to the train station on time so we agree to split up at Mae Win and he'll ride directly to the train station while I will continue north on the dirt track that connects Mae Win with Samoeng. As much as I enjoyed riding with my mates, it's also nice to get out and cruise solo from time to time.

I pass the Khun Khan National Park headquarters and spot an interesting looking track that goes down to a river-

You can't ride the Samoeng loop without stopping for a picture at the Samoeng Forest overlook-

Hooked up with Dave (at Ian's X-Centre and enjoyed a great lunch-

Dave had already replaced the clutch on his F800GS but was out on his hooligan KTM today

Ian had just returned from a ride to Myanmar and regaled us with some epic stories from their groundbreaking trip. Only a small handful of people have been allowed to ride in Myanmar and Ian's group was one of the first.

After the X-Centre I followed Dave back to his place. He hauls ass on that KTM of his and I enjoyed trying to keep up! Parked the bike at his house, got cleaned up and headed to the airport for the flight back to Bangkok-

I got this picture from goofball Trent- he flew back in full gear on Bangkok Air!

Arrival in Bangkok-

Home sweet home!

Headed back to Chiang Mai on Friday for another tour! Can't wait!!
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #34
Brick Top
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Good day Tony,
Well the last time I will impose on your thread or at least this one....The super wife and myself made it over to Koh Chang, I was pleasantly surprised that the Honda CRf 250 could managed us over those hills on the island. I have never heard a bike sigh until the super wife sat on the bike which left me with some standing room. It was great 8 hours looking for some tracks, well not even close to the great ride you had but beating -27 at home and not to mention Pattaya.

B. Top.
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote