User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Chilean carabineros took my license

Anyone know--if the carabineros in Chile took my driver's license and gave me a speeding ticket, if I don't show up but try to cross the border/ship the bike/fly out of the country am I going to have problems? It's 400 km back from Santiago to where I got the ticket, I'll probably just end up going there on Monday and try to sort it out.
FateMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateMaker View Post
Anyone know--if the carabineros in Chile took my driver's license and gave me a speeding ticket, if I don't show up but try to cross the border/ship the bike/fly out of the country am I going to have problems?

If you abscond without taking responsibility for the ticket the Chilean police may
in the future choose to make life hard for other travelers who find themselves
in a similar situation.

I don't suppose that even crossed your mind.

Go back, pay the ticket, and leave the country with no fear of repercussions and a
clear conscience.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 11:02 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

my conscience is always clear

The truth is, a lot of things have crossed my mind. We may have different ideas about what responsibility is but that's okay. I'm not a legalistic person but I am also not a reckless rider by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I find the carabineros quite reckless to step in front of me on a highway lane to motion me to pull over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
If you abscond without taking responsibility for the ticket the Chilean police may
in the future choose to make life hard for other travelers who find themselves
in a similar situation.

I don't suppose that even crossed your mind.

Go back, pay the ticket, and leave the country with no fear of repercussions and a
clear conscience.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Pack a couple of extra DL's.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
You were very unlucky. Usually the carabineros dont bother to take foreigners licenses because they dont expect them to be bothered to get them back.

What ticket did he write you?

If you live in Chile and get a ticket away from home you can go to your local carabinero within 72?.. Hours and ask to have the license and fine transferred to there. Not sure how long it takes or whether it would help you.

Cant imagine it would ever be a problem other than the fact that you dont have a license now unless you carry spares.
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
In the US if you get a ticket there's no warrant issued until you fail to appear for the court date. I'm guessing there is no court date on your ticket since they took your license as leverage. Given that, they probably don't have any greater enforcement mechanism, so I would just fly out. The initial cops that ticketed you will have no idea if you show up to pay in court or not, so the post about responsibility and future travelers seems to assume the opposite. Just like in the US, cops care about real crimes, not speeding tickets.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
In retrospect: I go to my local library & 1st have them scan my documents & email to me, then color copy both sides of my DL & laminate an extra for times when I'm being responsible for my own well being not the funky cop that's trying bleeding me. I also have the county clerk run an extra copy of my registration. Itsnothebike: lighten up ?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

148 km in a 120

any idea how much that would cost? He told me I had to present myself before a tribunal (bum bum bummmm) somewhere near Chillan (near KM 913 on Ruta 5 to be exact), I didn't understand his directions for where I had to go (my spanish also sucks), but it's 400k from me here in Santiago. But I can't imagine them efficiently transferring my license to Santiago if I took care of it here.

I'm leaving SA in less than a month, I've been here 3 1/2 and that was the first time I was pulled over and the first time I was ever asked to show my drivers license. I still have my AAA international DL (please don't ask why I didn't just that to the cop). So I think I can live without my DL for now. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

there's no court date but...

He just told me I could show up on Monday, but there is a date of Feb 15 2013 written on it, leading me to believe they expect me to show up by that date.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
They (Carabineros) just want to be sure that you are going in front of the judge and pay your fine. I am Chilean and consider this very illegal but again, a colonialist way of thinking still prevail on a 'somehow' better , almost . developed country.''

In general , Chile does a lot of no sense way to manage the law. To me just complete unlawful by international law. However, you are there and must follow their rules. Better going Monday, pay your fine and go on!

Believe me , some people wait for a bus in main expressways. Sell soda and whatever at Toll plazas in between cars, not beer like in Peru but close. Ohhh but if tohse Carabineros catch you without one mirror they ticket you, Hahahaha!!, sound ironic but true.

US SHIPPING Now open: JUNE-JULY 2014 Share Container CHILE to MIAMI or HOUSTON
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582 www.samericaxplorer.net
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
148 in a 120 zone is classed as gravisima and is subject to a fine of up to 3 UTM where a UTM is worth 40,005 pesos.

So about $245.00.
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Photocopy extra licenses or make some up with Bozo the Clown's name on them.
Its the only responsible thing to do.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileGS View Post
148 in a 120 zone is classed as gravisima and is subject to a fine of up to 3 UTM where a UTM is worth 40,005 pesos.

So about $245.00.
Nice math!
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastonUSAChile View Post
They (Carabineros) just want to be sure that you are going in front of the judge and pay your fine. I am Chilean and consider this very illegal but again, a colonialist way of thinking still prevail on a 'somehow' better , almost . developed country.''

In general , Chile does a lot of no sense way to manage the law. To me just complete unlawful by international law. However, you are there and must follow their rules. Better going Monday, pay your fine and go on!

Believe me , some people wait for a bus in main expressways. Sell soda and whatever at Toll plazas in between cars, not beer like in Peru but close. Ohhh but if tohse Carabineros catch you without one mirror they ticket you, Hahahaha!!, sound ironic but true.
I can tell you are no lawyer. You may not like the law, but withholding the driver's license is absolutely legal in Chile were, by the way, Chilean and not international law applies. And by colonialist you mean colonial, right? Please do yourself (and fellow inmates) a favor and limit your posting to motorcycling and shipping matters.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acampao View Post
I can tell you are no lawyer. You may not like the law, but withholding the driver's license is absolutely legal in Chile were, by the way, Chilean and not international law applies. And by colonialist you mean colonial, right? Please do yourself (and fellow inmates) a favor and limit your posting to motorcycling and shipping matters.
I'm interested in your thoughts on giving the officer a laminated photocopy of a driver's license?