Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #3436
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

Oddometer: 37
So I have removed my subframe and I have already found a small issue.

If you can see in the picture, there are two holes near the top of the subframe. They are not threaded and they actually go inside.

They will definitely leak or allow crud into the tank. It doesnt look like there is enough thickness to thread something in there. But I figure I will give it a shot.

Has anyone else gotten this far yet?

I may try to find a plastic welder and see if they can seal it up
SmileyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #3437
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyRider View Post

If you can see in the picture, there are two holes near the top of the subframe. They are not threaded and they actually go inside.

They will definitely leak or allow crud into the tank. It doesnt look like there is enough thickness to thread something in there. But I figure I will give it a shot.

Try these. Insert them wet with fuel tank sealer. http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-n...FU-d4Aod2hoASw
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #3438
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:

I see at least 6 more problems that you will have to deal with

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #3439
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

A quick update from tonight. I filled the tank with water and it is not water tight. One seam had a steady stream of water coming out of it and a bolt hole leaked.
That being said I did manage to fill it up with water and definitely got over a gallon of water in there. I pulled out out 3.8 litres with a bit of spillage not accounted for. So my guess is that this thing would easily yield 3.5 litres or just shy of a gallon of usable fuel if plumed correctly.
I am contacting a local plastic welder and if the rates are cheap enough I will continue with this venture. Otherwise theres a guy locally selling a 70 degree tank.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #3440
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
A quick update from tonight. I filled the tank with water and it is not water tight. One seam had a steady stream of water coming out of it and a bolt hole leaked.
That being said I did manage to fill it up with water and definitely got over a gallon of water in there. I pulled out out 3.8 litres with a bit of spillage not accounted for. So my guess is that this thing would easily yield 3.5 litres or just shy of a gallon of usable fuel if plumed correctly.
I am contacting a local plastic welder and if the rates are cheap enough I will continue with this venture. Otherwise theres a guy locally selling a 70 degree tank.
I have a suggestion to consider. Drill a decent sized hole in a place that makes the most sense on top of the tank and fit a fuel bladder to the inside. Then run your lines as needed and don't worry about trying to seal the tank.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #3441
SmileyRider
With lots of Teeth

My only concern is that the hole might be quite large and take away from the structural strength of the subframe.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3442
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
My only concern is that the hole might be quite large and take away from the structural strength of the subframe.
you could cap it with a reinforcing aluminum plate that could double as a place to mount fuel fittings and as a filling point.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #3443
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
This stuff might do the trick too: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=382799_0_0_

Or this: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...21&cagpspn=pla
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #3444
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Inline fuel filter...

I recently replaced my fuel injector due to hard-start issues and also added to little in-line filter that KTM includes in the new part.

BUT, there's many references to this tiny little filter getting clogged up itself, so in anticipation of that eventuality, I purchased the Golan mini-filter (which is not as "mini" as the KTM inline one, but flows better and is less likely to clog).

Image #1
Image #2

I know some of you have added an inline filter - so this question is for you... Whereabouts did you end up installing it? Closer to the tank or closer to the injector end? How tight is space after installing? Any helpful tips or images?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #3445
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
I think most folks replace the quick disconnect with the inline filter.. requires you to use tools to disconnect in the future. but is the easiest way to get the job done. At least that is where they put the CanAm filter that everyone was using for a while.

http://www.husaberg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15396
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3446
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:

As Seth says, those "woodscrew" mount holes can be a problem. They are typically sealed in the OEM subframe, but only to provide thread material for the screws. Since it wasn't designed to hold fuel, there's no tech requirement for those many (needed) mount holes to be fluid-tight and so threads may punch through etc. Hit or miss especially after bouncing around on the trail. Not saying it can't be done, but as the Husaberg racing team found, it was unreliable. Hope it works out for you.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #3447
Barshoe
Adventurer

Now you know why the Seventy Degree Racing sub-frame tank has been so difficult to manufacture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #3448
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyMan View Post
I recently replaced my fuel injector due to hard-start issues and also added to little in-line filter that KTM includes in the new part.

BUT, there's many references to this tiny little filter getting clogged up itself, so in anticipation of that eventuality, I purchased the Golan mini-filter (which is not as "mini" as the KTM inline one, but flows better and is less likely to clog).

Image #1
Image #2

I know some of you have added an inline filter - so this question is for you... Whereabouts did you end up installing it? Closer to the tank or closer to the injector end? How tight is space after installing? Any helpful tips or images?
I installed the CanAm filter between the quick disconnect (QD) and the injector - but it failed. It caused a sharp kink in the fuel line, which ruptured out on the trail. Luckily I had just crossed a nice double track so it wasn't too bad getting towed back to the car.

I then installed the CanAm in place of the QD, which is what most people do. I thought it was too much hassle to disconnect and reconnect, so I ended up removing it and going back to the QD.

That smaller Golan filter might work okay between the QD and injector.

I also installed the mini in-line filter at the injector - the original one that clogs up. It clogged up on my second day. It caused the bike to run lean and hot. Not a good day. I have now removed that as well. I have not tried the second version which is not as fine.

My theory now is to just leave everything alone. Every time I mess with, I get dirt in the system or cause some other failure. Since I quit messing with it has run perfectly. And I use fuel stabilizer if my bike will sit for more than 3 weeks. And Star-Tron for winter storage, with the tank full to reduce moisture issues with the Ethanol.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #3449
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post
I installed the CanAm filter between the quick disconnect (QD) and the injector - but it failed. It caused a sharp kink in the fuel line, which ruptured out on the trail. Luckily I had just crossed a nice double track so it wasn't too bad getting towed back to the car.

I then installed the CanAm in place of the QD, which is what most people do. I thought it was too much hassle to disconnect and reconnect, so I ended up removing it and going back to the QD.

I also installed the mini in-line filter at the injector - the original one that clogs up. It clogged up on my second day. It caused the bike to run lean and hot. Not a good day. I have now removed that as well. I have not tried the second version which is not as fine.

My theory now is to just leave everything alone. Every time I mess with, I get dirt in the system or cause some other failure. Since I quit messing with it has run perfectly. And I use fuel stabilizer if my bike will sit for more than 3 weeks. And Star-Tron for winter storage, with the tank full to reduce moisture issues with the Ethanol.
Swap the stock disconnect out with the metal one and you won't have to worry about it breaking. It also works a little nicer.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #3450
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post

Is the hard start when cold, or when hot, or intermittent?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote