ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #796
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Excellent ! going there in 10 days. I hope it stays that way - I'd like to do hunter, never been there.
Same here. 7 of us trailering down on the 15th for a couple days riding.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #797
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
'Tis the season! We'll be there in a couple weeks as well.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #798
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Current Conditions

Wow.......this is all great news about the current conditions. Might be out there this weekend.

Just remember that conditions change with each storm that comes through so check the weather report.

One winter, about 5 years ago, while coming down to the intersection of Lippencott Mine Road and Saline Valley Road, I talked with some college students in an Acura (they had already had one flat and one rear quarter panel has been ripped off by some rocks). They wanted directions to the Hot Springs so we helped them out. The weather was great that day but later that night it snowed on north and south pass so they were probably stuck at the hot springs for I don't know how long.

In a situation like that, you can only ride out Lippencott or Steele Pass so be prepared to do that or wait it out at the Hot Springs if the weather suddenly changes because a snow storm can close both North and South Pass.

The weather forecast for this weekend looks good with a chance of rain on Friday.

The BMW Airhead Rally will be at Furnace Creek Feb 15-18 for those interested.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #799
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Swansea Cerro gordo is also passable, though there is some snow left @9000 feet. Luckily a jeep had been through there and busted many of the big drifts. According to the tram cabin logbook nobody but me and 1 jeep been through there in a long time. No packed ice with no traffic, just snow. Was warm mid day up there, snow was melting and supported the bike weight where deep for the most part. Played on some snowy single track up in there mountains too, been a good solo exploring trip with no loops needed, camped where I felt. Almost connected to salt tram from saline without going on Cerro gordo... Needed a partner to get any further.
Hunter and hidden valley, cerro godro to salt tram are good to go.
More road info to follow along with some photos.

Swansea Cerro gordo, 9200'

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 12:52 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #800
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #801
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

This crew will be at the Airhead Rally Feb 15 at Furnace Creek on a couple of their own Airheads.

I posted this with the Tapatalk App just to see how it works. I like that you can take a pic with a smartphone while on the trail and then upload it when you have a cell signal. I plan to do this on my next trip to the desert so I can post "real time" pics and updates like Lost Rider has been doing. Now I have to figure out if I can upload video as well. Looks like a great app especially since I mainly take pics and video with my iPhone these days and don't carry a camera very often.

2on2off screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 10:38 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #802
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Condition of highway 155 through Shirley Meadows?

I finally talked my wife into riding with me to Death Valley on the street bike so I want to make sure she has a good time.

We will be riding over highway 155 through Shirley Meadows and into Lake Isabella and then on highway 178 to Ridgecrest.

Then we will ride in Death Valley on Saturday and Sunday.

Has anyone recently been on highway 155 through Shirley Meadows? I'd like to know what condition the road is in and how much snow is on the side of the road. We will be riding through that area this Friday about 5:00 p.m. and I don't think there will be any ice on the road but would like to hear from anyone who has ridden it lately.

My wife decided recently to start riding with me again so I made a deal with her that if she would really ride with me, I would let her pick out the bike that is most comfortable for her while sitting behind me. We tested four street bikes, including the new BMW K1600LT, and after selling my BMW R1200GSA, which wasn't that comfortable for her, this is what she picked out. She wanted to know why I never bought one before. Now she loves to go riding with me and this will be our 4th trip. She is very comfortable and going longer distances is no problem for her now.

[IMG][/IMG]

P.S. We will be dressed warmer than in the picture. A happy wife = a happy life.........and I get to ride more.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #803
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Same here. 7 of us trailering down on the 15th for a couple days riding.
Watch for fellow Montana'ians! Blue Dodge pulling a white trailer from Helena to Mesquite, NV tomorrow. Tiger XC, Wee-strom, GSA. Day riding from Mesquite for a week. Have fun!
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #804
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,618
Your wife need to talk to my wife....
I'd buy that to have her ride with me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I finally talked my wife into riding with me to Death Valley on the street bike so I want to make sure she has a good time.

We will be riding over highway 155 through Shirley Meadows and into Lake Isabella and then on highway 178 to Ridgecrest.

Has anyone recently been on highway 155 through Shirley Meadows? I'd like to know what condition the road is in and how much snow is on the side of the road. We will be riding through that area this Friday about 5:00 p.m. and I don't think there will be any ice on the road but would like to hear from anyone who has ridden it lately.

My wife decided recently to start riding with me again so I made a deal with her that if she would really ride with me, I would let her pick out the bike that is most comfortable for her while sitting behind me. We tested four street bikes, including the new BMW K1600LT, and after selling my BMW R1200GSA, which wasn't that comfortable for her, this is what she picked out. She wanted to know why I never bought one before. Now she loves to go riding with me and this will be our 4th trip. She is very comfortable and going longer distances is no problem for her now.

[IMG][/IMG]

P.S. We will be dressed warmer than in the picture. A happy wife = a happy life.........and I get to ride more.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #805
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post

Has anyone recently been on highway 155 through Shirley Meadows?

I gave up at 2,000 feet last Friday, no way in hell I was gonna make the 6k summit with snow that low already.

The shaded section near the cabins on the west side is always icy this time of year, skip the stress and ice, take 178 and keep her happy.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #806
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I gave up at 2,000 feet last Friday, no way in hell I was gonna make the 6k summit with snow that low already.

The shaded section near the cabins on the west side is always icy this time of year, skip the stress and ice, take 178 and keep her happy.
Rob:

Thanks for the update. You never know what to expect this time of year.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #807
northleftcoast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Anyone know if the Pleasant Cyn/South Park loop is relatively snow and ice free?

We'll be camping at Panamint Springs and riding Sunday-Thursday Morning. Looks like a little moisture possible Tuesday/Wednesday, but otherwise dry the next few days.

Thanks
northleftcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #808
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Decided to chance it today and ride highway 155 through Shirley Meadows.

The sigh was out that said "Extremely Icy Conditions next 10 miles". It was a warm day and no storms so we went for it.

There was no ice or snow on the road today but there was a lot of sand on this road, with some wet spots.

It dropped from from 60 degrees at the bottom of the hill to 40 degrees at the summit where the pass reaches 6,100 ft

We reached the Alta Sierra Ski area at 6:00 pm and rode to Lake Isabella and then into Ridgecrest.

Larryboy was right in that we should have taken 178 instead of 155. The sand made it a very slow ride and any lite rain with freezing temps would have made this road unrideable.

2on2off screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 10:08 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #809
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Yeah larryboy!

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #810
dirty adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I'll be heading out for the next couple of days (maybe a week) looking for snow on my xr400.

Cerro Gordo is on my llist.

I'll report back......if I make it.