Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #16
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,932
That's funny b/c I had heard from several sources the cops won't bother giving foreigners tickets. I blasted the main road south from Santiago to the lakes district and passed a number of cops while traveling well above the posted limit. One cop had his radar gun pointed right at me and didn't even bat an eye when I flew past him.

And I would have no problem using a laminated dl in Latin America. I met a number of folks using them.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust

Misery Goat screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:35 PM
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I'm interested in your thoughts on giving the officer a laminated photocopy of a driver's license?
I would like to hear first hand experiences from people actually doing it. It's obviously illegal but you can probably get away with it. Most important question is, do you want to have a criminal record of unpaid tickets behind you as you travel the world? Are you just quitting after this ride and never show up again in any country you traveled through? If so, I would like to be remembered for more enjoyable offenses... What do you want to be the script in your tombstone?
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acampao View Post
Most important question is, do you want to have a criminal record of unpaid tickets behind you as you travel the world?
You are right, Pedro. This behavior isn't right!!! These globe-trotting, habitual-law-breaking criminals must be punished. Do you think beheading is too weak?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
I would like to hear first hand experiences from people actually doing it. It's obviously illegal but you can probably get away with it. Most important question is, do you want to have a criminal record of unpaid tickets behind you as you travel the world? Are you just quitting after this ride and never show up again in any country you traveled through? If so, I would like to be remembered for more enjoyable offenses... What do you want to be the script in your tombstone?
I have no problem with paying for tickets I deserve. I'm used to dealing with local Policia in Baja California where you you have to pay the "mordida" for running a red light or stop sign that isn't there. Usually you ask if you could pay the fine to the officer who pulled you over and he "takes care of it" for you. Funny, how you can get the fine reduced on the spot from $100 down to $20 by showing an empty wallet.

So I guess the question is how legitimate are the traffic stops? Is the corruption bad enough that these guys/municipalities are using tourists as geese with golden eggs? If so then a bogus copy would be fine by me along with continuing out of the country. If it is legit, then my bad, give him the bogus copy and then go pay the fine.

Strong Bad screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 06:11 PM
Strong Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
You are right, Pedro. This behavior isn't right!!! These globe-trotting, habitual-law-breaking criminals must be punished. Do you think beheading is too weak?
Don´t worry Bubba, we are not in the US, no death penalty here (you won´t get life in prison for a third minor offense either).
Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Quote:
I have no problem with paying for tickets I deserve. I'm used to dealing with local Policia in Baja California where you you have to pay the "mordida" for running a red light or stop sign that isn't there. Usually you ask if you could pay the fine to the officer who pulled you over and he "takes care of it" for you. Funny, how you can get the fine reduced on the spot from $100 down to $20 by showing an empty wallet.

So I guess the question is how legitimate are the traffic stops? Is the corruption bad enough that these guys/municipalities are using tourists as geese with golden eggs? If so then a bogus copy would be fine by me along with continuing out of the country. If it is legit, then my bad, give him the bogus copy and then go pay the fine.
Two pieces of advice if you want to hear them: 1. Don´t even think of trying to bribe a cop in Chile. It will surely end with you in jail. 2. Producing a counterfeit license (i.e. a xerox of the original) is a much more serious offense than speeding.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,036
Quote:
Two pieces of advice if you want to hear them: 1. Don´t even think of trying to bribe a cop in Chile. It will surely end with you in jail. 2. Producing a counterfeit license (i.e. a xerox of the original) is a much more serious offense than speeding.
I will remember your advice! Thank you!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #23
Vladtux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Quote:
I will remember your advice! Thank you!
These are golden rules in Chile!

and I hope you can recover you license soon!
Vladtux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #24
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
Quote:

As to counterfeit license: I have one for disposable use in Mexico. I gave the GED class for many years & we had training to spot copies (to prevent taking the test for others) & I can assure you that most cops wouldn't spot my copy.
It seems that your "cup is half full"? The OP doesn't qualify for prison yet, at least ,so it seems to me?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Fake documents....I'd never give that to an official anywhere. Even a US border guard questioned my perfectly legal documents way back then. Sheeesh....!

Getting to be more and more of a moot point that, our "enhanced driver's licenses" can't be photocopied. I sure tried with the very good copier at work if just to see what happens.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
FateMaker OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
should be ok

im changing my name and flying to Buenos Aires for plastic surgery, that outta do it
FateMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #27
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateMaker View Post
im changing my name and flying to Buenos Aires for plastic surgery, that outta do it
Stay there...
Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #28
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:

I've travelled a lot on a bike in Chile as a foreigner.

My experience with the carabineros (and yes, I have been stopped more than once and also fined) is that they are extremely correct. No corruption going on there.

Can't say the same about the Policia Caminera in Argentina, tough.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #29
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,004
Amateurs...

All you have to do is find a friendly face at your local DMV and ask them for a spare copy (or three) of your license. Here's what I did: 1) I told them I lost my license. So I got another one. Then I lost that one, and got another one. Finally, just to take things too far, I got another one. I left two in Wisconsin, in a big envelope marked "SPARE ID: Drivers License, Passport, Title, Registration, Insurance Cards." I also saved my expired licenses. I started out handing out my expired license, in Nicaragua. By the time I got to Chile I was down to only one expired license and two current licenses.
bananaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrado View Post
I've travelled a lot on a bike in Chile as a foreigner.

My experience with the carabineros (and yes, I have been stopped more than once and also fined) is that they are extremely correct. No corruption going on there.

Can't say the same about the Policia Caminera in Argentina, tough.
I also experienced that the Carabineros were straight up, and professional. Of course they let me go with a warning each time as well.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote