Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #121
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
I dont think anyone has really tested the electrosport much.. I may have to..
??

7 years of 70 watt headlight bulbs, heated grips, heated vest and heated insoles on the ESG950 stator (that's an Electrosport stator). Only problem was the regulator/rectifier which could not handle the stator output, and hence, the 950 regulator/rectifier. If you're referring to the LC4 specific stator they came out with later, yes, I haven't seen much feedback on that either.

I don't want to steer anyone wrong by giving numbers that I don't quite remember, but I did put a volt meter on my system running various electrical loads such as the grips, vest, etc. I remember being quite satisfied that the ESG950 put out more power than I could possibly ever need, and at a nice, low RPM.

Having said that, it crossed my mind that if the LC4 specific stator does not require you to replace the regulator/rectifier, then it is not nearly as powerful as the ESG950. Not only could the stock regulator/rectifier not handle the ESG950, but it melted the Electrosport regulator/rectifier that they recommended I use to handle the increase in power. So, in the LC4, the ESG950 puts out some serious current.

But, plug and play is very nice, and if it's enough to handle the accessories, then that's a much more simple way to go, it's reversible, and cleaner. I only wish they made plug-in high-output stators for even more bikes.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #122
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
Elec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Damn! Mines got an '01 motor! Was this designed to run with the stock or upgraded stator?

This will work:

http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bik...tor-rectifiers
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #123
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
??

7 years of 70 watt headlight bulbs, heated grips, heated vest and heated insoles on the ESG950 stator (that's an Electrosport stator). Only problem was the regulator/rectifier which could not handle the stator output, and hence, the 950 regulator/rectifier. If you're referring to the LC4 specific stator they came out with later, yes, I haven't seen much feedback on that either.

I don't want to steer anyone wrong by giving numbers that I don't quite remember, but I did put a volt meter on my system running various electrical loads such as the grips, vest, etc. I remember being quite satisfied that the ESG950 put out more power than I could possibly ever need, and at a nice, low RPM.

Having said that, it crossed my mind that if the LC4 specific stator does not require you to replace the regulator/rectifier, then it is not nearly as powerful as the ESG950. Not only could the stock regulator/rectifier not handle the ESG950, but it melted the Electrosport regulator/rectifier that they recommended I use to handle the increase in power. So, in the LC4, the ESG950 puts out some serious current.

But, plug and play is very nice, and if it's enough to handle the accessories, then that's a much more simple way to go, it's reversible, and cleaner. I only wish they made plug-in high-output stators for even more bikes.
Inmate Fastlane 1 installed a LC 4 specific Electrosport Stator last Summer with the stock rectifier... The first thing we noted was the the rectifier did run quite warm... When he scoped it with a heat sensor we noted while it was within the temp spectrum it was running close to the max allowable recommended temp... He has had no problems with it so far...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #124
TaxMan

Oddometer: 93
completed the install of the new-ish electrosport LC4 specific stator this weekend. the item i received came with a wire guide bracket that wouldn't allow the stator to seat correctly on the engine cover. contacted the company and they instructed me to remove the bracket entirely. did so, and contact with the flywheel doesn't seem to be an issue (had to take the cover off to replace the leaking gasket and checked after running the bike around the park and back).

i actually upgraded the regulator/rectifier before the stator upgrade on my quest to sort out my electrical gremlins. low voltage was leading to weak starts, which was reeking havoc on my sprage clutch. i got a SHINDENGEN FH020AA from Motoelectrix. it is a super tight fit on top of the battery and i had to fashion a bracket of sorts to hold everything together in the stock location. it is a really tight fit in there and I think the seat might be making a little contact with the R/R. not sure how much it matters.

performance wise, I saw a noticeable increase in voltage. i believe I was getting 14.3v at idle. I do have my headlights wired to run together when the highbeams are on. the draw on the system with the headlights on is noticeable. adding the heated grip also chip away at the voltage. I'm hoping that at speed the increased amperage will make up for the additional draw so i'll always have a topped off battery. didn't have a chance to do much testing yesterday due to bay to breakers in my neighborhood. will be interesting to see how things go in the next week or so.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #125
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,887
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMan View Post
completed the install of the new-ish electrosport LC4 specific stator this weekend. the item i received came with a wire guide bracket that wouldn't allow the stator to seat correctly on the engine cover. contacted the company and they instructed me to remove the bracket entirely. did so, and contact with the flywheel doesn't seem to be an issue (had to take the cover off to replace the leaking gasket and checked after running the bike around the park and back).

i actually upgraded the regulator/rectifier before the stator upgrade on my quest to sort out my electrical gremlins. low voltage was leading to weak starts, which was reeking havoc on my sprage clutch. i got a SHINDENGEN FH020AA from Motoelectrix. it is a super tight fit on top of the battery and i had to fashion a bracket of sorts to hold everything together in the stock location. it is a really tight fit in there and I think the seat might be making a little contact with the R/R. not sure how much it matters.

performance wise, I saw a noticeable increase in voltage. i believe I was getting 14.3v at idle. I do have my headlights wired to run together when the highbeams are on. the draw on the system with the headlights on is noticeable. adding the heated grip also chip away at the voltage. I'm hoping that at speed the increased amperage will make up for the additional draw so i'll always have a topped off battery. didn't have a chance to do much testing yesterday due to bay to breakers in my neighborhood. will be interesting to see how things go in the next week or so.
What was the outcome of this?

I to am suffering electrical gremlins and considering the larger output stator.

Anyone else do it? wrk2surf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #126
TaxMan

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post
What was the outcome of this?

I to am suffering electrical gremlins and considering the larger output stator.

Anyone else do it? wrk2surf?

as an update - so far so good here. I did end up cutting some plastic out of my seat pan to make a little extra space for the RR fins. Didn't want my big ass crushing it any more than necessary.

As far as the stator, no issues. seems to be doing exactly what it supposed to. i haven't had any problems, so i haven't done much in the way of testing.

I did track down what may have been one of my electrical issues. The connections running into the base of the ignition key unit were coming a little loose an fraying a bit. When I'd turn the handle bars with the key turned off, the wires would make some contact and light up the dash. Found a thread somewhere on here that detailed the problem and the fix. Patched it up. No idea if it was really causing any battery draw, but it was good to get it taken care of, nonetheless. it would have broken eventually. anyway, i only mention it as one of the bazillion different electrical problems you might be chasing. :) good luck!