Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #61
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I dropped in here after I saw your post on one of the Tenere threads about sitting on one. Dude! just don't go ride one, you'll be sunk then for sure! I took a test ride a while back. I'm hooked and will have one before this year is done.

Love the pics on your thread! good stuff.
okiegtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #62
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
I dropped in here after I saw your post on one of the Tenere threads about sitting on one. Dude! just don't go ride one, you'll be sunk then for sure! I took a test ride a while back. I'm hooked and will have one before this year is done.

Love the pics on your thread! good stuff.
I'd like to run out and buy one right now but they are sadly still above what I'd like to spend. I'm thinking I might try the Vee first as well. In the past it didn't fit my riding style but lately I've been doing a lot of high speed two up touring and the extra 40hp might be nice. Plus the majority of my farkles will transfer over from the Wee. This might be a nice lay over bike until used Tenere's come down to 8k or so.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #63
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Like the rest of the country we've had a bunch of crappy weather, so the recreational rides have been kept to a minimum. Last weekend I did a big loop from Charleston to see some of the interior of the state and grab some file photos for our various SC tag games.

Pinopolis post office by dsrphotography, on Flickr

On the site of old Pinopolis. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A secret inland sea created to generate electricity. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

That's the smell of progress. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Sandra wilding out. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Visiting the grave of Francis Marion the swamp Fox...played by Mel Gibson in the Patriot by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Francis Marion tomb by dsrphotography, on Flickr

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Pissed

Decided to take a day off and do some riding. It wasn't planned but I ended up exploring some dirt roads and grabbing a tag in our low country tag game.

I was exploring some of the sand roads on Edisto Island when I came across this historic plaque. Apparently there was a town here at one point on the Edisto river. I thought this would make a great tag so i grabbed a quick pic.

Here is a view of the road a bit further down from the tag. I can't get enough of these pretty canopy roads.

At the end of the road was the mighty Edisto River. The longest undammed blackwater river in the country. Also where I'm pretty sure I dropped a pair of $200 sunglasses!

I passed this creepy looking swamp as I was driving around. I wonder if there are any gators in there?

So the riding got be all buzzed for more riding so I figured I'd ride south and grab the latest tag. I looked at the map before I left and was under the impression that the tag was between me and Beaufort. Apparently I can read a map because the tag was well past Beaufort. I was getting hungry so I stopped at a pretty park in Beaufort and snapped some pics whilst having my lunch.

I finally arrived at the tag location. The pics don't do it justice as it was a really pretty road.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #65
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
The sun is shining, the weather is brisk, time for some riding and shooting.

Nice - at least we have others who appreaciate a good ride and shoot...
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #66
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

This rain has me stuck inside and looking at old pics. I took this little day trip last summer when I first moved to Charleston. I heard of a really good boiled peanut stand on the edge of Columbia. I thought it was worth checking out so I headed inland.

First stop some Jacksonville style blue crabs in North Charleston.

Lots of little corn fields on the way. Everything was nice and green.

I had the roads all to myself once I left town. I was surprised how little traffic there was. You can really get some speed up on these country roads.

The peanut vendor was on the far side of Columbia so I rode through downtown and checked out the river that runs through town.

I finally found the peanut stand. They were very good and salty.

More quiet country roads on the way home.

Came across this cool old house before I reached Charleston. I bet it was pretty neat inside as well.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #67
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

After seemingly endless rain it was time to get out for a ride.

The best way to start a ride is with a good donut. Charleston has a donut shop called Glazed. It's only been open for a year but has been blowing up!

By the time I got there at 10 all the fancy donuts had been sold out. So I ended up getting a cinnamon and sugar twist.

We rode to the Francis Marion national forest to do a little exploring.

There was lots of huge puddles after all the rain. Some parts were a little tricky 2 up.

An old Plantation house in the National Forest.

Found this Ferry that goes to Yawkey island. I might use this location as a tag.

Lots of birds hanging out. Must me a lot of fish.

We reached our final destination of Pawleys island.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #68
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Finally some motorcycle action after months of commuting boredom... Picked up an 02 Dl1000 to keep my DL650 Company. I'm going to spend the next two weeks getting it ready for my Florida trip.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #69
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #70
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Fantastic pictures and ride reports. I really enjoyed reading up on all of the places you've visited. The Vee should be perfect for all the 2up traveling you do.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #71
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Decided to skip out on work and go for a ride today. Ending up doing about 280 miles round trip from my place in Charleston down to Savannah.. Pics and my impression of the DL1000's maiden voyage coming soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #72
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Finally another trip to write about! I ended up taking the Vee on it's maiden voyage down to Savannah. We did 4 miles of dirt forst on a loop that goes through the Savannah National wildlife Area. We saw plenty of gators, some fish and a few various birds.

After the leaving the wildlife reserve we drove into Savannah proper. The first stop was to the back in the day cafe where I scarfed down a delicious old fashioned cupcake. No pics as I ate it too fast. It's a tasty cupcake but at $3 each they make me wince a bit...I guess I'm just that cheap.

My wife has been interviewing for a new job and she had to get on a conference call so I left her in a quiet park while I explored downtown a bit and snapped some pics. I really like Savannah. It has a real city vibe you don't find many places in the south East. I think the fact that the SCAD campus is spread over the entire city helps the whole place maintain it's fresh vibrant feel.

I found a coffe shop on one of the squares and sat down and watched the world go by. The coffee was tasty and the hipster staff was only slightly rude. I spent some time just chilling before I ambled back to the park and collected my wife.

The ride home was non eventful other than the weather was perfect and the nice evening light made the marsh look very pretty.

The first ride on the Vee was very nice. I really enjoyed the extra power over the Wee and the suspension was nicer than the wee as well.

The new Vee heading down at dirt road at the Savannah Wildlife Refuge by dsrphotography, on Flickr

This alligator was chilling on the bank of a brackish canal. I knew alligators can be in brackish water but I had never seen it. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Two guys fishing in the canals at the wildlife refuge. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Birds and gators by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We saw about 20 gators. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The new Vee posing again. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Calhoun square in Savannah by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Another pretty park in Savannah by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Cool building by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Savannah Street scene. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Cannon square by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Inside the coffee shop by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Having a coffee and watching the world go by by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Very cool car cruises by by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Cool coffee shop worth checking out by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Funky bathroom by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Funny grafiti by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #73
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Hanging out with the local riff raff at the beach.

Bikes at the beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #74
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Heading down to Florida for a 7 day motorcycle trip. The plan is to ride the coastline of the entire state with the exception of the panhandle. Left Charleston this morning and the weather was pretty hairy. The winds were 30mph with gusts up to 40...made for some exciting bridge crossing.

Once we were south of Savannah the winds really picked up and the rain started to come down pretty heavy. At one point a gust of wind hit us so hard that the rear tire lost traction and kicked out a while we were crossing standing water on the highway... At that point we made a command decision to find suitable accommodation. So here we sit at the quality Inn at Darien Georgia. The room is covered in wet gear draped all over the furniture.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for rain in the morning then clear weather for the next ten days. After a nice big breakfast the plan is to hit the road with Fort clinch state park being our first stop of the day..

I highly Recommended the quality Inn of Darien Georgia... They have great motorcycle parking.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #75
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Finally after hours of rain we finally made it Florida!