Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #31
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 205
Day 5 klondike hwy & Dawson city

June 20 Wed

Tried to get my camping spot a day early, but Goldrush was crazy busy & full. Luckily I found a room at this place, didn't want to leave town, I just wanted to walk around to see what it was all about that day.

katoom resting

welcome to Dawson city! never saw an actual town with just dirt roads

I have a couple of friends that use white ford vans to haul their bikes. Ford power

Yukon River, old gold mining equipment everywhere etc...Of all things to take pics of, you know your a gear head when you take a pic of a van. It was a RH drive turbo 4x4 Mitsubishi van with YT plates, we never get any good cars in the states,

this thing was already parked in front of the main downtown hotel & everyone was checking it out. It was awfully clean, later found out it was an older ATK bike with newer CRF front forks & all kinds of custom tid bits.

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 11:21 AM
AJ990R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
In..

You are really covering some miles!
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
uberaudi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Awesome ride report! Makes me want to ride to Alaska this summer!
uberaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 6 D2D 2012 (calm before the storm)

June 21 thurs

Beautiful outside, warm & sunny. Slept in this morning, no rush to do anything, was happy about my room, was $90 for the night & small(most I've paid so far), but Dawson is a certified tourist trap. Did all my laundry in the sink Walked & got a coffee along the main drag in town. Was a busy little town this weekend. Great people watching...Tourists, RV/campers & hippies. It was summer solstice...I have no problem with hippies, I'm just jealous.
Stopped at the the town info center, talked to a pretty girl & she said if your with D2D, you want to check out these local dirtroads in the klondike & gave me a map. I had to pack up & move across town anyways & figured I would take a leisurely cruise before setting up camp.
* I did look over the photos I had taken on my camera, & was not happy, 20+ pics of bears & other wildlife were just blurry, so I wasn't crazy about taking pics.
Figured I'd be gone for an hour....3 hrs & 80mi later I returned to town. Rode around on some dirtroads in the klondike & saw some mining operations. Got totally lost for a bit since there was just random dirt roads all over,car gps was useless, was just gonna do a loop. Came up on a full mining operation, sleuthbox running & being loaded & workers all around, I got outta there quick, looked back at the workers, they knew I was lost. Later found out, that area is where a lot of the Goldrush TV series is filmed on History channel.
I met Greg when I tried to get a camping spot the first night & we hung out while I was in Dawson.
He had a newer KLR that already had a 680kit in it & custom monster aluminium panniers, he rode up from Kamloops BC.
pic courtesy of Greg
Him & his steed (not at Dawson)

My home for two days
*notice all the campsite numbers are on old dredging buckets. My new neighbors just rode up from texas

Her ADV handle was Msbehave, she rode a Kawi Versys & her man Andy(I think!?) had a brand new Super Tenere. They shared their site with the "Two Moto Kiwis"(there RR is still going).

the campground was a party in itself, good thing I booked my site in January

Talked to this Ak guy with the V-strom 1000 & his friend a few times. He lived in Wi as a kid & still has family in Fund du Lac. He kept calling me "wisconsin guy". Him & his friend always had a PBR in there hand at the campground. Milwaukees finest

downtown was full of adv bikes thurs eve, went out to eat, everyone was talking bikes

I was all about keeping the kickstand down at this point.
A lot of tourists were trying the "Sour toe cocktail" when I stopped at the downtown hotel, Its just a shot of whiskey with a old human toe in it...hmm, no thanks. I didn't make it in Diamond tooth Geries for a show & I don't gamble. Was too busy talking with all the Canadians & Alaskans.

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:43 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #35
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 7 D2D 2012 fun

June 22 fri

Slept in & it was beautiful out. Only riding today was gonna be the poker run. I had no luggage on my bike & was actually excited to go ride it. Poker run didn't start till noon, was 80mi & a lot of what I rode yesterday, but was still excited to ride it with no luggage.Only pics I took were at the end. This is where I meet some new friends, Parrish & Justin. They came up to me after riding up the dirthill & said "your bike is making a rattle noise"

Parrish's GS1200, in a little rough shape since he had an "incident" on the way here. They fixed it up so he could still ride

Got back to my campsite after the poker run, and found Msbehave working on her bike. I ended up sharing my spot with an AK guy who had that BMW w/the red helmet. He had a hotel room with a friend but it was soo hot that weekend, he couldn't sleep in the room, each room got a fan & that was it, NO A/C. This fricken guy never even set-up his tent...just slept outside on top of it in the little grass area in the previous campsite photos.

There was a huge dinner, the local Fire Dept cooked for us & we ate in the local hockey ring. only pic I got was of the Yukon beer cooler

then it was time for the biker games, I had no intention of participating! I had my bike parked downtown & was Peer pressured from Andy on the Tenere, Justin & Parrish.....Ok, I said. Andy rode his Tenere back to the campsite to grab my helmet for me. Me demonstrating proper riding gear & the First time, I've ever ridden a bike with a bag over my head! I made it to the final round in that game

D2D-street closed down

some pics of me in the slow race, next to the machine...Hackymoto(BMW sent him to South America for their USA GS challenge team), & I'm in sandals...Also you can see the whole street scene here. Gave Greg may camera to take these

People just begining to gather for the group photo. D2D 2012 was the biggest gathering yet in Dawson!! Heard there was over 300 bikes there(they kept track)

Parrish was given an award for wrecking his bike & still making it to D2D. Apparently someone wrecks every year & this same award is re-gifted(never leaves dawson). Its was a rock that sent someone to the hospital & was painted yellow...yup, thats cut-up water bottle for a Headlamp lense. I should mention Parrish also won the poker run($350), he was in good spirits

Stayed up extremely late that night into the early morn
this was a locals truck, that I kept seeing around town, Justin saw me taking a photo & wanted to make sure I got the full effect
I think Canadians are serious about their hockey

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 05:45 PM Reason: details
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 8 Alaska

June 23 sat

It was a 11:30 in the morning by the time I crawled out of my tent after that night, remember that cause I was suppose to be packed & out by 11, the camp owner was right there in my campsite watering flowers, and she said "you gonna be alright to ride that thing" It was another beautiful day out, all the motorcycles were gone from the campground. My Texas neighbors were just leaving, we said goodbye, they were heading to Whitehorse for the Super Tenere rally. Made plans to meet & ride to Fairbanks with Justin & Parrish, only knew where their hotel was...I found them. We were all in rough shape. We didn't leave Dawson till early afternoon, jumped the ferry across the Yukon river & were taking the Top Of the World hwy
*anywhere I was on this trip, people were doing it on bicycles. This guy was from Europe somewhere & was spending the summer riding around, he had full gear etc..

Parrish making new friends

Peace out Hippies

We started going for a while, but it was crazy dusty! They said it was damp on the TOW on the way over, & they liked that better. We took a lil two track excursion & quick break. After this we took off in two minute intervals, so not to eat each others dust

I got a lot of great advice from people(Alaskans). This hwy is the big reason its Dust to Dawson. They love to "rally" it on bikes & snowmachines(as they say). They also told me they all hate the stupid reality TV shows they make about them up there now. There was a lot of people from Anchorage & Fairbanks areas there. I never knew a rivalry existed between AKs two big cities. They would always throw smart ass comments at each other about where they lived. Winter is milder in Anchorage but it rains much more in summer like Seattle.
TOW hwy to me was a fast paced dirtroad up in the mtns, overtook a lot of RV/campers(they only go like 40mph)
rode a two track up the side of a big hill, they said I had to see this

AK border crossing in the distance

ALASKA!

TOW hwy

this was a HUGE drop off next to the road

We stopped in Chicken AK for hours to just relax. We talked to everyone that passed through...& just chilled out on the picnic tables. Only pic I took in Chicken was of Justins Trails End D2D edition F800GS, it drizzled for a second, kind of ironic his bike had the AJ sticker on it, it was to Honor a motorcycle tech who recently died on a motorcycle. This bike was all tricked out w/touratech stuff. Justin purposely ran this bike out of fuel on this ride for testing, it went 189mi before it started to cough.
Justin really liked my bike since he owns a KTM 950 adv as well, and he spent a year and a half & traveled down & through South America with it! thats another whole story!
Parrish was a sportbike guy & his GS1200 was his first adventure bike. This was his first D2D too
Good guys, they let me crash at their hotel

We stayed at the hotel right at Fast Eddies, ate there pizza, was good. A lot of the D2D organizers & alaskans bikers stayed there. A small storm came in. Katoom resting

double rainbow

We just heard Hackymoto crashed his GS1150 on TOW hwy & they sent a truck to get him. I didn't feel comfy taking these pics at the time, sorry blurry but you can make it out, his bike blew the u-joint out @ like 70mph & busted the swingarm, he rode it out for a bit before falling off & the bike clearly went cartwheeling & was a total yard sale. He was banged up but OK

there was a whole thread on this situation in AK regional forum
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=hacky
rode a whole 185mi today! this was a awesome route.
*my mesh sportbike jacket was really starting to annoy me, & wasn't the right tool for the job anymore

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 10:40 AM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #37
findlj
How much fun is that

Oddometer: 86
I'm in and great RR! Planning something very similar this summer, so following this trip is some good info...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 9 Fairbanks

June 24
Sun

Slept great that night, Parrish pulled the windshield out of no where for his GS, some epoxy & some tiestraps later, he had a windshield again, rode the end section of the Ak hwy & headed towards Faribanks. Drove right by North Pole,Ak & the big Santa statue, nothing special there, the name was just to get companies to locate there. Remember we were riding right down the main interstate going into Fairbanks & they just turned off & we started riding in the huge drainage ditches There was already ATV tracks there Stopped at the Trails End BMW store due to they were having a post D2D cook out, I ended up buying a new jacket & they shipped my old one home for me
It was a nice chill day, just Hung out with Justin & Parrish. Parrish gave me a small dry sack for my clothes & the rest of my journey! We all ate dinner together & I crashed at Justin's pad.

200mi day
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #39
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 10 Dalton Hwy!

June 25
Mon

It was go time this morning, Justin had to work this day, but wanted to ride with me & see me off. We rode up the very beginning of the Hwy. We ate breakfast at some famous place known for their pies, its in the milepost. A trucker commented on the bikes, we told him I was taking the hwy all the way up. He asked if I brought a fishing pole with, I said "no" and he said "thats lame", Justin started to laugh, and said "he just called you lame!", we all started laughing, the trucker was cool & just wanted to talk to us.
At D2D I was taught the proper method to overtake trucks, on this Hwy(& the Dempster) in particular, trucks will typically drive right down the middle of the hwy & are not really worried what is going on behind them, when you come up on a truck, stay left of the truck so they see your headlamp as you ride up on them, this may take several seconds, but once they see you, they will move to the right to give you room & let you by. This worked everytime for me! If you just squeeze by & blow by a truck, they can get pissy.
This is my Dalton Run
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #40
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,616
I'm enjoying your ride report. I rode up to Fairbanks many years ago, but didn't think about the Dalton because it wasn't open back then.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #41
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 10 Dalton Hwy!

June 25
Mon

Famous photo #1
About to thrash my new BMW coat, awesome coat, full fore arm & back protection, waterproof!
came up on two guys with F800GS bikes with euro plates at this sign, 9am ish, there english wasn't very good, we all took photos of each other, left our helmets on because the mosquitos were BAD right here. Was gonna peel off & stick my "don't f*ck with Wisconsin" sticker to this sign, but now you can see they've added extensions to the sign & the thing was 10ft in the air.(*the RCMP was staring at that sticker when I got my ticket)

This is the fuel pump after the big wood paved bridge, that most people find to be out of fuel, before the arctic circle rest stop. Got fuel here but didn't need it. The guy on the trike was only going to the arctic circle rest stop & turning around.

famous photo #2, couldn't let go of my bike or it would have fallen over due to this was a slight hill. Nice couple took this one of me

Coldfoot Camp, restaurant/truckstop, lots of college kids stay up here in the summer

brand new Triumph 800, guy rode here from Florida! rode with him for a while but the katoom needed to stretch her legs after awhile

Atigun Pass
elev 4700ft

my fav, was cool & damp up there, all day up to this point was 50f, now dipping down into the upper forties range

As soon as I descended on the northern side, rode in this for almost 2 hrs & it was now a solid 45f

there is a small stretch that is paved way up there...re-fueled here somewhere with my aux tank to make the last 240mi leg. Katoom almost at the top of the world

famous photo#3, at the top of Alaska, it was 11 at night & no one was around. 37f outside now! Since it never gets dark, & was very chilly, decided to turn back for now, was not tired yet, was an amazing day so far & didn't want it to end yet.

todays ride so far from Fairbanks

My trip thus far, this is my exact route, approx 4200mi with the D2D poker run

covered in calcium chloride @ the Deadhorse pumps

this guy was just roaming around up there(again never looking at me). I saw a Muskox as well on my way up but couldn't zoom in on it enough to make anything out.

heading south now, some random carnage

rode till almost 3 in the morning, came back through Atigun pass & the temperture went back into the mid forties
I must have rode 670-700mi I figure this day
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #42
Butcho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Epic last post....

Up and back on the Dalton in one stretch. "Saddle up or Shut up" Nuff said Man, the GS was trashed.....Rider was ok...
Butcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #43
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcho View Post
Up and back on the Dalton in one stretch. "Saddle up or Shut up" Nuff said Man, the GS was trashed.....Rider was ok...
thanks, that was by far the highlight of my trip. The "saddle up or shut up" slogan came from dinner the previous eve with Justin(& Justins lovely girlfriend, whom he met on his South America trip & moved here to be with! Justin was originally from Minnesota) & Parrish, it was on the underside of a beer bottle cap(some beer from Montana). They said I had to keep it with me for good luck (I currently have it glued on my panniers) They laughed at me, when I told them I had to be home in week or so. They also helped me plan a route home, they said I should ride the Denali hwy, but if I hit rain, it would really slow me dowm on that route.
Yeah there was twenty guys around inspecting Hackymoto's GS after that incident, A lot of them there, & Alaskans in general, love their BMWs & couldn't believe it. But that GS had very hard life from what I understand.
*I also should note that I twisted my ankle pretty good, going like 5mph & pulling off the hwy for a break in very loose gravel on the side of the road, the front end slid out & I saved it by putting my left foot down....hurt for several hours. Coulda been worse but someone would have found me if it was

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 07:57 AM
Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #44
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 706
Great RR

Don't stop now ..... You've got my attention!
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
AJ990R OP
motorcycle guy

Day 11 back to Fairbanks

June 26
Tues

Pulled over into a field south of Atigun Pass a ways, set-up my tent due to I needed to sleep. I didn't see as much wildlife as I thought I would on the Dalton. Saw moose wading in a marsh across the hwy from where I camped. Slept with bear spray in one hand and a buck knife in the other this night Didn't wake up & get moving till 11am
Tried to camp on top of a hill & in a open field, so the mosquitos were not bad

Rode the 300mi today back to Fairbanks, ate lunch & fueled up only once at Coldfoot on the return run, used my aux fuel & got back into town, first order of buisness was to pressure wash my bike(& me). My bike had over 5000mi now on the oil and I figured Fairbanks was the best place to change it. Kept hearing good things about Adventure Cycle Works, & there open 24/7! A father & son team. Called him up at 9 at night, and he said "come on over" I carried 1qt of oil & a oil filter with me, planned on buying oil & doing my own oil change somewhere but this was MUCH easier

He said it was the first KTM he had seen with the CJ Designs oil drain hose kit. He also pointed out my rear pads were metal to metal! No prob, he had a set He also had a brand new rear solid rotor from a 950adv but I passed on the rotor because I knew my dealer would take care of it at home. But I did buy a extra rear tire because I was told you could not really get any tires, anywhere in YT & upper BC areas. He also has a pressure washer! I spent $10+ at a car wash. Hung out here for hours till late, shot the breeze & watched him work on some other guys bike. Hoteled it that night & ordered a pizza. Never did end up staying at the university Dorms, I didn't want to go there cause it was so late that night, shoulda though, it would have been much cheaper...

AJ990R screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:11 PM