ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #1276
gregMo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 15
love pow

enjoy the mountains man, who knows how hot is gonna get next year? Yeah, powder is the best, but only initiated know that. Great RR & thanks for taking us along . Keep it safe Noah
Cheers
gregMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #1277
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend
 
Sutherngintelmen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: ATL
Oddometer: 1,213
Yeah Noah, what the heck are you doing for international relations!? She camera shy?

Been following along, sounds like the pow gods have been very good to you. Flying to SLC on thursday for 3 days UT ski area, hoping for a good storm while there

Bummer about the 10gigs music, keep the tales and picks coming
__________________
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1278
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
I had to delete about 10 Gigs of music to make room for pictures. That hurt.
You should look into storing your music in an online facility, that way you won't loose it for very long, even if someone steals your equip! Also, backup you photos there! You might be able to allow "donations" of music from some of us! I've got a ton of obscure punk and metal, that I love to share and warp people with!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #1279
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
I've got a ton of obscure punk and metal, that I love to share and warp people with!
Interested! Pm sent
__________________
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #1280
Blue Icebreaker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Blue Icebreaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 117
Hey Noah, I've seen that you have travelled right along the border of South Ossetia (on the way to Gudauri), which is de facto independent from Georgia. Did you see any remains from the 2008 war? Any checkpoints with armed guards? How is the safety around that region?
__________________
As soon as you concern yourself with the 'good' and 'bad' of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you. Morihei Ueshiba

Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1281
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
You should look into storing your music in an online facility, that way you won't loose it for very long, even if someone steals your equip! Also, backup you photos there! You might be able to allow "donations" of music from some of us! I've got a ton of obscure punk and metal, that I love to share and warp people with!
It no worries man. I didn't "loose" the music. I went through and made space. I have all of that backed up at home. I have a 100 Gig Dropbox that I'm backing up my photos in case something happens to my comp. I'm meeting lots of crazy skibum/boarder kids from Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia so I look at this as a chance to pic up some interesting music that I might not otherwise ever hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Hey Noah, I've seen that you have travelled right along the border of South Ossetia (on the way to Gudauri), which is de facto independent from Georgia. Did you see any remains from the 2008 war? Any checkpoints with armed guards? How is the safety around that region?
There are Police at every chair lift. this is to keep people from poaching I more then anything. I don't see signs of the war surprisingly. Safety here is not an issue. Just don't get to drunk and get lost in the mountains. And assume every car at night has a drunk driver. As far as the relation between Georgia and Russia? Russians can come to Georgia at will, but Georgians can't go into Russia. I've been told it is very hard for Georgians to go anywhere... or at least to get visas.

My camera has been kaput for about 2 weeks now.. so I need to fix that and get some more photos of the snow and the beautiful creatures that inhabit this environment.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #1282
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD
 
BELSTAFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona--Land of the free and heavly armed
Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
.

My camera has been kaput for about 2 weeks now.. so I need to fix that and get some more photos of the snow and the beautiful creatures that inhabit this environment.


Yes, yes you do
__________________
"WIND CALLS THE HEART,ADVENTURE BEGINS"

"Only A Peasant Puts Beans In Chili "

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #1283
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer
 
ericGSsti's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Oddometer: 585
Sounds and looks like an amazing place.
__________________
2006 KTM 640 Adventure
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S.
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #1284
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bob66's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Oddometer: 146
Nice views in Georgia. I would like to ski there.

For very good information about Siberia read Colebach's RRs.

Bob
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #1285
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post
Nice views in Georgia. I would like to ski there.

For very good information about Siberia read Colebach's RRs.

Bob
Yeah, I've been slowly catching up on it. They are in Kazakhstan where I am reading. What I don't like about the report is the KTM is giving them so much trouble. I have had nothing but good luck with mine and I don't want their badluck to rub off.

Of course, I carry spare fuel pump, filter, injector, hose, ect. I think I am a bit more prepared to work on the 690 then the guy in that report.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #1286
bob66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bob66's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Oddometer: 146
Make sure to read the other RR also..

we were in Mongolia in 2010 and we did a very nice route - a mix of northern and middle routes .. if you want I can send you the garmin files (send me a pm)

also I recommend you to stay a few days in Altai Mountains in Russia and to exit from the main road.

Bob
bob66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #1287
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob66 View Post
Make sure to read the other RR also..

we were in Mongolia in 2010 and we did a very nice route - a mix of northern and middle routes .. if you want I can send you the garmin files (send me a pm)

also I recommend you to stay a few days in Altai Mountains in Russia and to exit from the main road.

Bob
I plan on leaving Georgia the start of May. I will be taking my sweet time across Siberia. I love info (especially now when i have a chance to study it) so please send what you have. Noah.horak (at) gmail.

It seems my 690 (fishfund's old bike) was talked about a lot in the siberski thread. I didn't realize that because I am just now getting the time to get caught up.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #1288
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer
 
MeinMotorrad's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: UK for now.
Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Yeah, I've been slowly catching up on it. They are in Kazakhstan where I am reading. What I don't like about the report is the KTM is giving them so much trouble. I have had nothing but good luck with mine and I don't want their badluck to rub off.

Of course, I carry spare fuel pump, filter, injector, hose, ect. I think I am a bit more prepared to work on the 690 then the guy in that report.
It was the fuel pump that was causing the problems (I see Rod [the KTM rider] has a 2008 like you. Once the pump was changed it ran sweetly again.

On another subject:

Can I ask you what tyre pressures you've been running? I recently put the rally raid evo1 tanks on the front, which makes things heavy - just wondering how your tyre tread is wearing.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #1289
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
It was the fuel pump that was causing the problems (I see Rod [the KTM rider] has a 2008 like you. Once the pump was changed it ran sweetly again.

On another subject:

Can I ask you what tyre pressures you've been running? I recently put the rally raid evo1 tanks on the front, which makes things heavy - just wondering how your tyre tread is wearing.
Tire pressure? I run close to max of the tire. I find that the tires last longer and you don't get as many flats. I would rather struggle a bit in the soft and not have to worry about that random rock that will bend your rim and pinch your tube.

I know what you mean about it being heavy up front. When I have my gear on the back I don't notice. If the bike is unloaded, I will leave the front tanks empty and it feels like the stock 690.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #1290
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: In the mountains?
Oddometer: 1,695
Snow Report #1

Well. I've been slacking. I don't have any pictures of the good powder days because.. well I'm having to much fun. For the past week there has not been any new snow. Its like spring conditions here. In the morning it is ICY and it softens up in the afternoon. You have about 2 hours of good riding. I Finaly got my camera fixed and my passport is now with the Russian Embassy to get my Visa for this summer. Other then the riding, I have been meeting a lot of good people. Georgia is a pretty popular place for Ukrainians.


Lots of Cha Cha.


Lots. Of. Cha Cha.


Georgian beer. 2.5 liters for 5.50 Lari. About $3.50. And its actually quite good.


The Georgian BBQ is amazing. This night was Beef, Pork and Lamb.


We have good parties too.


Anna. My Georgian friend who can keep up to me on a board. Its quite impressive since she has only been riding for 3 years.. and me for 18.


New Ukrainian Friends.

So. Yesterday the snow was shit in the morning but got soft in the afternoon. We decided to do some back country and drop a very nice powder field down to the main road (Georgian Military Road). We had done the ride the day before so we knew it would be good. My picture don't do justice for the size of this slope but it is a couple KM worth of riding. When you get to the road, you wait for a car or bus to pic you up. This time we got picked up by an old Russian dump truck. So about 7 of us pilled in the back with our boards and skis to ride back to Gudauri. This road is a perfect ADV road and I will make sure to ride it before I leave Georgia.


Getting there.






Backside 180s off windlips! This was taken from a friends GoPro footage.




Waiting for a ride.











That's about it for now.
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 125,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah

RoninMoto screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 01:08 AM
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015