Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #4876
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Reduced power?
it's a Tax thing.
When a bike is delivered with more than 100 ponies we have to pay extra taxes. So there is an option to get the bike delivered with 99 ponies (99% of the sold bikes come in this way)

after 1000km the bike will be, free of charge, "udated" to it's full potential at the bmw dealer
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #4877
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
it's a Tax thing.
When a bike is delivered with more than 100 ponies we have to pay extra taxes. So there is an option to get the bike delivered with 99 ponies (99% of the sold bikes come in this way)

after 1000km the bike will be, free of charge, "udated" to it's full potential at the bmw dealer
That totally makes sense, extra taxes I mean, Europe needs extra taxes.
When you're at it, I'd go for the "Enhanced KTM-Power" software update package, nothing less than 150 ponies please
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #4878
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Come on guys, stop arguing ! And don't let bad words easily spit out of your keyboard. Life is beautiful ! Look, some people enjoy bike easy way without asking if it gone brake, jump, spill, burp or else... It is just a bike. An life is too short for long faces. Whatever off road bike you have, if YOU WANT, if YOU DREAM IT, you can load it and go. No excuse, no real obstacle to do so. Believe me. Two ways to see life : either you consider the obstacles, either you consider the means... You choose.
+1

Levell headed, simple, and a very wise man.

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to see once in a while some one to say something that hits a home run. I hope all the bickering will stop, and let people buy what the want. Those who ave put a deposit are waiting in anxiety to get their bike. Lets not rain on their parade. I would merely suggest those who have concern(s), take it with your dealer even before buying.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #4879
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I'm curious to know what you think is being denied? Are you already so convinced that the bike has a headshake problem, that anyone that dares point out that any bike can suffer headshake in certain conditions is just in denial? That's pretty laughable, actually.

When I owned a Ninja 650, people would occasionally come onto one of the Ninja 650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Ninja 650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a KLR650, people would occasionally come onto one of the KLR650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the KLR650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a Wee Strom, people would occasionally come onto one of the Wee Strom forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Wee Strom has a manufacturer defect that Suzuki knew about and was covering up.

How the hell I survived 3 death trap motorcycles that the manufacturers knowlingly sold with fatal flaws is just beyond me.
Stop feeding the troll.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #4880
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Come on guys, stop arguing ! And don't let bad words easily spit out of your keyboard. Life is beautiful ! Look, some people enjoy bike easy way without asking if it gone brake, jump, spill, burp or else... It is just a bike. An life is too short for long faces. Whatever off road bike you have, if YOU WANT, if YOU DREAM IT, you can load it and go. No excuse, no real obstacle to do so. Believe me. Two ways to see life : either you consider the obstacles, either you consider the means... You choose.

I decided that life is short and world is wide, so we can enjoy it such a way that each day is a life. Think about it.

I don't want to give lesson to anyone but reading all your words fights on this forum I feel time and energy is fading away. There are a LOT of things I don't have in my life. A lot !... But without my bike I really would be miserable...

Feel lucky and you will be. Cheers

Frog

OK the above needs to be quoted repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Not so sure about the led headlight either. Looks cool, but it's got a fan running in the housing to keep things cool. What happens if/when the fan fails?

Don't think I need the multi-wheel. I don't run a gps now, or music that I need to scroll through menu options, and I sure as hell aint going to bluetooth a phone into my helmet. Riding is my time to get away from all that.
The LED headlight, if I ever move to the new model, I am not letting this get away. :) I love innovative things.
The fan is not to keep things cool. The construction is kept cool by... erm... hitting the air coming from the front.
The fan is for using the heat to fight the condensation. Pretty smart actually.

The multi-wheel. I really have questions about it. While initially it shows that is only usable by the optional GPS, some videos SEEM to to show that you also control things in the main display (easier than the normal control button). Someone needs to make the wheel use clear to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
(talk about other bikes with head-shake)
Well I don't think 3 of 20 (yet), had pointed out this head-shake during their respective launches eh?

All bike can have the effect, but how easy it happens is a matter of many factors, many of which are of the bike (geometry, weight of the front system, tires etc.).

Anyway. We should wait for more data, there is no point discussing this further without more data (and more of the reviews... because from 20+ people there, we only got a fraction).

Quote:
it's a Tax thing.

OK... Yikes! Felt much better when I read the last sentence though. ;)

EDIT: I updated my tire post. Might be useful to some: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4798

NLS screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:23 AM
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #4881
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
ordered mine as followed :

Thundergrey metallic
Dynamic 2 Package (ASC-ESA-LEDlight-DashPro-Pre Nav)
Chrome exhaust
Heated grips
Handprotect
Reduced power
Cruise control
Pre-maquillage case setup

delivery in 6 weeks, and still totally stoked

Correction. Reduced power means 76KW, equivalent to 103hp (european measurement).
And you have to wait 1000KM to get full power?

Looks quite like mine. Thunder grey, Dynamic package 2, comfort package, Cruise control, cross spoke wheels, reduced suspension hight, chromed exhaused, ...

Well, I just got all options. Cases and tankbag from BMW, rest from Touratech (protection bars, underplate, fog lights) ...

Also about 6 weeks wait till I get mine... Can't wait.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #4882
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
And you have to wait 1000KM to get full power?
So what? While running in the engine you don't use all this power anyway. Not even half.

That said, I did the 1000KM service of my 2007, 3 days after purchase (yes with 1000KM on the odometer).
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #4883
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
OK the above needs to be quoted repeatedly.

The LED headlight, if I ever move to the new model, I am not letting this get away. :) I love innovative things.
The fan is not to keep things cool. The construction is kept cool by... erm... hitting the air coming from the front.
The fan is for using the heat to fight the condensation. Pretty smart actually.
Working on that right now actually. Opted for passive liquid cooling. Those L.E.D's get pretty warm. They really shouldn't need much to keep to de-fog. I bet the fan is actually for cooling while sitting in traffic on 40C days not moving.

It just sounds clever the other way. It probably helps for both.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #4884
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 623
Only six weeks

it must be a very exciting time for you guys who have them on order
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #4885
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
So what? While running in the engine you don't use all this power anyway. Not even half.

That said, I did the 1000KM service of my 2007, 3 days after purchase (yes with 1000KM on the odometer).
I will probably almost never use full power. But it is nice to have.
And in my case the dealer said it would be full power at delivery. Probably cause they got more time to prepare the bike in advance than for the 1000km service. In my case that should be after about one week.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #4886
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I will probably almost never use full power. But it is nice to have.
And in my case the dealer said it would be full power at delivery. Probably cause they got more time to prepare the bike in advance than for the 1000km service. In my case that should be after about one week.
In any case let me make it clear: I envy you and have many interesting adjectives for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #4887
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,151
My new WC R1200GS will come with everything including the new BMW Vario cases, and I will be using full power on a regular basis.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #4888
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
My new WC R1200GS will come with everything including the new BMW Vario cases, and I will be using full power on a regular basis.
In my case that would mean I drive to work at 200kph +

I mainly use my motorcycle for work.

But I am planning to take a one or two week old bike to the 'international' GS meet in the Netherlands. But no offroad yet.

For Belgium I've heard (but have not yet had confirmation) that no bikes will be deliverd prior to t March 23th, due to the belgian launch on the 23th. I hope it isn't true.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #4889
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Power is reduced in the break in period or are you guys talking about choking down the power due to some laws/taxes?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #4890
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Well, back with another tedious post. I can barely believe the level of resistance to merely discussing this question of the lurking tankslapper. Nobody here even owns one of these things, and almost nobody has ridden one. Why defend it?

I could understand if a couple of incognito BMW salesmen wanted to hose down the panic, and it is an open forum so why not. For everyone else though, why would it not be a good conversation?

For the record, I am not on a crusade against the new GS. No way. It is a very interesting bike. Dynamically, it will be the best GS yet. I like little things like the full analogue dials, and big things such as the electronic cruise control. It is a class effort.

While I remain besotted with my Duc, what I need is a two-up sport/adventure tourer that can handle big miles. The new GS is a very obvious candidate, and perhaps the front-runner.

All information is good, IMO.

So on the headshake question, I am interested only in getting a clear picture of what has been reported and how significant it might be.

The suggestion that five years of testing must have ironed out every possible flaw is just silly, IMO. For reasons others have given already.

But let us grant this, and assume that the bike is flawless. What then?

We can conclude only that the two major incidents (Bike and motorcycle.com) and two minor manifestations (canadamotoguide and motociclismo) were the journos' fault.

Don't know about you, but I don't find that comforting.

OTOH, it is not like the sky is falling. The bike will still be good. It might need a steering damper. It might need a remap of the dynamic suspension. It might just need a bit of awareness and preparedness, or to be kept out of the firmest Enduro Pro baseline option over washboard.

Or it might need none of these things. We may have more of an idea when ShawnWorks posts in ride reports.

Either way, I don't see how any humans or animals are harmed by talking about it. (Except for BMW salesmen and, of course, their starving families. )