User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #4891
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,970
Hahaha not a bad post.

Yet, we don't have ANYTHING to discuss further about the alleged issue (which I think I brought first to more attention here) or ANYTHING else about the new GS.

So just saying the same all over or trying to generate (or give birth to) more info where we have none, is kind of... (well put the appropriate word yourselves).

We are waiting:

- For Shawn (later today I think).
- For more on-line or paper reviews from people that were down there.
- (ok I sneak this in) For a scan of MCN's already out review for us that cannot really buy it.
- Possible official news about Kevin. (doesn't mean it is related)
- Possible reaction of BMW about the allged issue.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #4892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
Power is reduced in the break in period or are you guys talking about choking down the power due to some laws/taxes?
Power is reduced because of higher taxes otherwise.

You can have the kw (76 it is, written somewhere here), 'set to normal' the moment you get the bike with zero kms, but most of the time these map-resettings require the removal of the gas tank etc.. and that's why most of the guys have it done with the first 1000km service.
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #4893
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post

You can have the kw (76 it is, written somewhere here), 'set to normal' the moment you get the bike with zero kms, but most of the time these map-resettings require the removal of the gas tank etc.. and that's why most of the guys have it done with the first 1000km service.
I would think the diagnostic plug/interface would be accessable as it is on most bikes, under the seat with easy access.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #4894
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:

Then it makes sence my dealer resets it before first use, to keep the first service shorter. March and april is a really busy time, specially with all the new deliveries.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #4895
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post

For Belgium I've heard (but have not yet had confirmation) that no bikes will be deliverd prior to t March 23th, due to the belgian launch on the 23th. I hope it isn't true.
Sad but very true. All of the first deliveries will be entering Belgium on the 18-19th of march. Then there's the customs paperwork, and at the 23rd there will be the national bmw open house weekend. No LC will be allowed for pre-delivery before the 23rd.
The local dealer sold 18 LC's and delivery for most buyers is planned on Sunday morning the 24th, or later in the next week for some non-stoked lunatics
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #4896
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I would think the diagnostic plug/interface would be accessable as it is on most bikes, under the seat with easy access.

Jim
Yes, could be right.

Dealer told it takes about 10 minutes to reset, but due to little time between delivery for the first LC's into the shop, and the number of people wanting their bikes ASAP, and the break in of 1000kms in which almost nobody rides their wheels of the new baby, resettings are scheduled after 1000kms.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #4897
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sad but very true. All of the first deliveries will be entering Belgium on the 18-19th of march. Then there's the customs paperwork, and at the 23rd there will be the national bmw open house weekend. No LC will be allowed for pre-delivery before the 23rd.
The local dealer sold 18 LC's and delivery for most buyers is planned on Sunday morning the 24th, or later in the next week for some non-stoked lunatics
Antwerp moto store?

I should hear about that from my dealer soon. Normally they should be very well informed. All I know is that mine was ordered No 8 and that it most likely will arrive before the demo bikes. Production was end of februari if I remember well. To bad I'll have to wait for delivery. In the NL the launch weekend is 2 weeks earlier. And I do have to get the extra's attached...

I was hoping to get the 1000km service out of the way before March 29th.

But you should see them on the road before. The demo bikes need to have 1000km before they are used for testrides (starting the 23th here).
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #4898
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Well, back with another tedious post. I can barely believe the level of resistance to merely discussing this question of the lurking tankslapper. Nobody here even owns one of these things, and almost nobody has ridden one. Why defend it?

I could understand if a couple of incognito BMW salesmen wanted to hose down the panic, and it is an open forum so why not. For everyone else though, why would it not be a good conversation?

For the record, I am not on a crusade against the new GS. No way. It is a very interesting bike. Dynamically, it will be the best GS yet. I like little things like the full analogue dials, and big things such as the electronic cruise control. It is a class effort.

While I remain besotted with my Duc, what I need is a two-up sport/adventure tourer that can handle big miles. The new GS is a very obvious candidate, and perhaps the front-runner.

All information is good, IMO.

So on the headshake question, I am interested only in getting a clear picture of what has been reported and how significant it might be.

The suggestion that five years of testing must have ironed out every possible flaw is just silly, IMO. For reasons others have given already.

But let us grant this, and assume that the bike is flawless. What then?

We can conclude only that the two major incidents (Bike and motorcycle.com) and two minor manifestations (canadamotoguide and motociclismo) were the journos' fault.

Don't know about you, but I don't find that comforting.

OTOH, it is not like the sky is falling. The bike will still be good. It might need a steering damper. It might need a remap of the dynamic suspension. It might just need a bit of awareness and preparedness, or to be kept out of the firmest Enduro Pro baseline option over washboard.

Or it might need none of these things. We may have more of an idea when ShawnWorks posts in ride reports.

Either way, I don't see how any humans or animals are harmed by talking about it. (Except for BMW salesmen and, of course, their starving families. )
FFS, give it a rest. You've made your point umpteen times over the last few pages. We've all read your posts. People are now back to talking about the bike again, then you drag the "issue" up again. Gees, chill out man.
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #4899
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,970
Well since news are slow and if you have a slow day too, I suggest you people revisit the first 50-100 pages.
Not detailed reading of course, just browse. It is interesting (or funny) to read how people felt with the first leaks, theories they made (and how close they were or not),

Someone noticed the change in turn signal buttons and one actually noticed correctly the little cruise control button!!!
(man you are cool!)

Also we see where the renderings where totally wrong or where the "spy" photoshop cleanups missed the point.

I am sure it would be interesting to see who was positive (and eager to buy), who negative and how and if those people react after official release. (no I didn't actually check this, didn't have that much time or curiosity)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4900
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Antwerp moto store?
Ludwig motors @ St. Nilkaas.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #4901
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ludwig motors @ St. Nilkaas.
Didn't know that was such a big store. Mine comes from BMW Brussels.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #4902
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I have one on order here in Arizona and yesterday was told to expect delivery at the end of February.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #4903
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Didn't know that was such a big store. Mine comes from BMW Brussels.
Not that big, but well known for its honesty
Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #4904
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I have one on order here in Arizona and yesterday was told to expect delivery at the end of February.
You're gonna be the first one here to have the new toy ?
Keep us, who still are in the dark ages, informed
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4905
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
FFS, give it a rest. You've made your point umpteen times over the last few pages. We've all read your posts. People are now back to talking about the bike again, then you drag the "issue" up again. Gees, chill out man.
Please don't stifle the discussion... in 1968 andy warhol said: "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes." If he was still around he'd also add that "and on the internet everyone with a keyboard will be an expert on all things"..

As long as it's on topic and the discussion is civil, let's hear from all the keyboard experts.