Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
LastWalkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
1. International driving license is not eligible in Vietnam and almost you can't get one.
2. Nomally, local police do not stop forgeiner except some case in Mui Ne. However, if you obey Vietnam traffic law (speed), no police has competence for stopping you.
3. For motorcyle ranging of 100, 110, 125, 150cc in Vietnam is cheap, you can get one with under 500$. But for bigger cylinder motorcyle (over 175cc), Vietnamese government limit importation, so their price are very expensive so most of them is illegal (without registration or fake registration). You can buy old 250cc dirtbike with $2500 and over.

Do you have any detail question more?
LastWalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
momi20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Hey all,
I'm in the beginning stages of researching a southeast Asia trip which will hopefully include some riding in Vietnam.

What I'd ideally like to do is find a place that will allow me to rent a bike, ride the length of Vietnam, and drop off the bike at the opposite end of the country. So far my Internet research has revealed lots of companies that do local hires but I haven't really seen anything tailored to what I'm looking to do. Does anyone have any input or recommendations? I just stumbled across the web site of Flamingo Travel which has offices in both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Anybody have any experience with them?

I have seen conflicting information on whether an international driver's license is valid in Vietnam. Anyone know for sure? I have read that you are only eligible to get a Vietnamese driver's license if you have a > 3 month visa.

My goal for this trip is to eat my way through the entirety of Vietnam.
I just begin to write my report, but still there are some informations for you. I rented my bike from Flamingo Travel: helpfull and professional.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838798
momi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
uk_vette
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Hey all,
I'm in the beginning stages of researching a southeast Asia trip which will hopefully include some riding in Vietnam.

What I'd ideally like to do is find a place that will allow me to rent a bike, ride the length of Vietnam, and drop off the bike at the opposite end of the country. So far my Internet research has revealed lots of companies that do local hires but I haven't really seen anything tailored to what I'm looking to do. Does anyone have any input or recommendations? I just stumbled across the web site of Flamingo Travel which has offices in both Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Anybody have any experience with them?

I have seen conflicting information on whether an international driver's license is valid in Vietnam. Anyone know for sure? I have read that you are only eligible to get a Vietnamese driver's license if you have a > 3 month visa.

My goal for this trip is to eat my way through the entirety of Vietnam.
Perhaps do what we just did.
Rent a pair of Honda's in Hanoi.
$35 US for the month each bike.
Ride out to Cat Ba Island via ferry and back a few days later.
Then once back on then mainland, take the rest of the month to ride south to Saigon.
Lots of great trails and beaches on the way.
At Saigon, put the bikes on the train back to Hanoi, I think from memory, that was about $30 US each bike, and our sleeper train tickets back was about $70 US back to Hanoi.
Collect the bikes at Hanoi station, and ride them the very short distance back to the hire shop.
Don't bother with licence, when a road side cop, starts to wave you down, as soon as he sees you are non-Vietnamese, he just waves you to carry on riding.
BUT just respect the speed limits.
In and out of every town, there is a big blue square sign, must be a good 1 meter square, actually showing you depictions of buildings, just don't be looking for trouble by continuing your "highway speed" all the way through the town.

vette

uk_vette screwed with this post 01-30-2013 at 09:20 PM Reason: a
uk_vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #19
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,588
Just got back. It was brilliant!

I'll have to put together a ride report.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Freakin amazing aye, Love that place
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Just got back. It was brilliant!

I'll have to put together a ride report.
Howdy, so where is the mentioned RR?

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
BruceHaydon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool2

This one is only shop have a good bike in Vietnam for rent ( Honda CRF 250 model 2012 ) http://advridevietnam.com/

Hope it will help you.
BruceHaydon is offline   Reply With Quote