Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #106
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,817
Leo! Come back!

You don't really need a PhD in Grease to continue your story!

I'm wondering if your dad was pals with Josh Buck over in Long Beach for that stash of spares...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #107
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
!!!Sorry about not updating I have been sick for quite a while and i am finally in good health!!!

I just got out to the garage yesterday and I had to make a trip to the local BMW shop in order to pick up some pieces for the clutch control and the connection between the air box and the carburetor

SO I got those parts and then I got side tracked and while the transmission was still attached to the engine block I decided I would see how the swing arm went on!!

Well I attached the swing arm to the frame with the Pivot pin and the hex nut I tightened it and there was no play but there was a small gap between the frame and the swing arm!

My question to you is Should there be a piece there protecting dirt and other contaminants from going inside the swing arm?

Pics should be up later tonight I will be working today
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #108
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 6,978
Nope. Just bearing grease. Try to make sure the gap is equal on both sides. Take a 4mm Allen wrench and use that as the guide. Just slip it in the gap to help judge the difference. Glad you're feeling better.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #109
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Question!

I was wondering if I need to replace the air tubes I don't know if the plastic needs to be replaced like all the rest of the rubber!?

Thank you

Leo
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #110
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo562 View Post
I was wondering if I need to replace the air tubes I don't know if the plastic needs to be replaced like all the rest of the rubber!?

Thank you

Leo
You're talking about the airbox to the carb curved 'air tubes'? Any cracks? If not, It's probably OK
Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #111
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
You're talking about the airbox to the carb curved 'air tubes'? Any cracks? If not, It's probably OK
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about! There aren't major cracks, just minor scratches and I bout new rubbers to attach the tubes to the carborators so there would be now air leakage.

Ive got another auestion ! When working on the clutch in the transmission( I am talking about reassembling the clutch into the transmission) When inserting the felt ring that is on the push rod how do you put that in the transmission without ripping the felt ring?

And what multi purpose greases did we decide was best hahah that discussion kind of went over my head haha
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #112
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,448
Common grease. The one used in most places today when you need to have something that is slippery and repels water. It is these days a Synthetic product, much better than what we had 50 years ago. Many, many brand names. Most of the time it is labeled "Hi-Temp Wheel Bearing Grease" It may include "Disk Brake" or "Drum Brake" in the name. You may want to read the label, there are a couple of exotic greases for cables and such and they will say "Not for use on bearings" or something.

This is the brand sold at most Motorcycle stores.

You can find wheel bearing grease in the smallest hardware store. I think they carry it in some quickie stores around here where I buy my morning coffee.

The traditional way to compress the felt on the throw out rod is to use a soda straw to push the rod through. This is usually the right size but if this trick doesn't work for you try dental floss. Wrap the dental floss around the felt enough to compress the felt but leave the ends trailing behind as you insert rod. Once felt is inside pull dental floss out.

Did you buy a new felt for the throw out rod? The old felt will fit better. They seldom need changing and if you have a new felt you may have to cut a mm or so off the circumference to make it fit. There are reports that felts are being cut too big by BMW's supplier. The circumference is cut at an angle. A piece is trimmed to make the felt fit a smaller rod, as it were.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #113
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
I just installed a new felt in my clutch pushrod and could for the life of me not get it started in the input shaft. It kept peeling up.
I found a spacer that had a slighly larger ID than the OD of the pushrod so I carefully worked the spacer over the felt, with grease, and installed the pushrod into the shaft. Imagine a ring compressor. Worked quite well I have to say.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #114
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I just installed a new felt in my clutch pushrod and could for the life of me not get it started in the input shaft. It kept peeling up.
I found a spacer that had a slighly larger ID than the OD of the pushrod so I carefully worked the spacer over the felt, with grease, and installed the pushrod into the shaft. Imagine a ring compressor. Worked quite well I have to say.
dental floss! I had the same problem, but someone in my thread suggested wrapping the felt with floss to compress and insert, then unwind the floss...
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #115
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
dental floss! I had the same problem, but someone in my thread suggested wrapping the felt with floss to compress and insert, then unwind the floss...
Seems to be a popular topic. Might try this - see post #23 here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=860181&page=2
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #116
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Sorry about no updates!

I don't update much because i have no pictures to show you every time i work on the bike i forget to take pictures!!!

But to put this update in short THE BIKE IS ALMOST ROLLING !!!

I need

Fuel petcocks
braided fuel line
fuel filters
and the seat lock and the bike will be running soon!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #117
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Does anyone has pictures or specifications on the fender mounting nuts and bolts cause I have the boxes of nuts and bolts to look through and I can not find them for the life of me
Thanks!
Leo
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #118
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,734
Your best friend is always the MaxBMW online microfiches:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...2&rnd=03192010

Load this one (it's for my /5) and go to "Change Model" and select what what you have.

It'll show parts, with specs, and assembly (to a point).

--Bill
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #119
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Here are just a few photos for those people that may still see this.
I finished the project in June of 2013
And it was awesome while it lasted but the four bolts that connect the transmit up to the drive shaft stripped out of the transmision so now there are shreds of blots in the drive shaft and now it has been sitting again for now coming up on 9 months. Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #120
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo562 View Post
...but the four bolts that connect the transmit up to the drive shaft stripped out of the transmision so now there are shreds of blots in the drive shaft and now it has been sitting again for now coming up on 9 months. Any suggestions?
Fix it? Maybe I'm missing something but you have to take apart the bad stuff, clean the bits out and reassemble (properly) with good stuff. What held you back from doing that?