Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Thumb DR650 790 Big Bore Installation and Review

EDIT: Video of the build here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8xE4ZwgbdQ

The minute I saw the 790cc kit on Procycle.us, I knew that needed to go on my bike. So now, some time has passed and everything I need to make that kit happen has lined up. I ordered my kit last week, and it should be arriving by this Friday (pending my mailman doesn't fall asleep on duty again, true story). I have noticed there isn't much information out there documenting the installation for those that want to do it, but are hesitant. I will be documenting my installation with pictures and videos, and finally give a review of the product after the installation.

To give you an understanding of my skill level: I have an intermediate level of understanding mechanics, and have worked with tools my whole (short-thus-far) life. I have researched for hours the DR650's engine, have read the DR650 thread, and have read the service manual cover to cover. This will be my first time taking apart a 4 stroke engine. I have installed a new piston and rings on a 50cc 2-stroke scooter, but the lack of a timing chain or valves made that job silly easy.

About my bike:

For those that don't know, I bought my 2000 DR650 in October of 2010. She has 20,000 miles and cost me $1800 (neg down from $2400 )

How she looked the day I bought her home (next to my custom dr200 "military edition"):

How she sits today (Before my Hayabusa muffler installation):

As you can see, a lot of work has gone into this bike. I bought the bike to start off doing more trips and trail riding. Since buying it, property owners and local government has closed down all the shady trails in the area, and made it impossible to go off road. I have hear of instances where DEC officers will sit on the trail, pretending to be hurt, and when you stop to help them, they zip tie your clutch and take you away.... not worth it. I bought a v-strom 1000 when the trails started to close, but most of the time, found myself back on the DR, loving its ride. 1500 miles on the V-strom later (and 1 road trip) and she was history, sold to a guy in Jersey. I used part of that fund to spruce up the DR making it more road friendly. I bought the TM-40 pumper from Procycle, redid the suspension, new supermoto rear and 19" front, built a custom windscreen, and outfitted the bike with a V-strom seat among other things. Last summer I did 1000 miles in upstate New York, about 200 or so was 2 up with my girlfriend, Chrissy. She loves the way the DR rides, and actually prefers it over the Vee. We had no problem going upstate, but once the hills started, you can tell that engine was struggling.

That was the tipping point. I knew this kit has to be ordered if I wanted to keep riding together and enjoying the trip. I thought about a V-strom 650, but I would want a 2012+ (think they are hotter) and I don't feel like financing while starting to make a life. Plus, my DR is MY DR... There are no others like it in the world.

I also ordered with the Bike bore kit:

Barnett Clutch and springs
New hotter iridium spark plugs
10 pack of oil filters
valve o-rings
fuel filter (never has one on my bike, i think its about time)
timing plug (destroyed mine)
and a valve tool.

My DR has about 29,XXX miles on it.

I am planning on installing all of the above and:

Wrapping the exhaust pipe
Sound dampen the skid plate
Clean up some of my wiring
Check on the NSU

I hope you guys and gals find my thread to be informative and helpful. I will probably start\finish the rebuild on Friday the 15th. I will keep y'all posted!

planemanx15 screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 10:05 PM
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote