Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #181
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Stayed home being lazy. Worked on my son`s bike. New front tire. Changed fork oil. Tried a 44 tooth rear sprocket to make second gear more useable. Garrett had some time to test the changes.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #182
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 466
Here's the start to my back yard course. I have a monster tire coming tomorrow and need to figure out what to do with more pallets.

rotorhead511 screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 02:47 PM
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #183
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 308
Looks good. I'd build 1 or 2 more pallet pyramids like that, maybe with different pitches, and line them up.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #184
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Here's the start to my back yard course.

that looks like soo much fun, I have always wanted to ride on a trampoline!

But I don’t think I would trust that safety netting.

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #185
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
that looks like soo much fun, I have always wanted to ride on a trampoline!

But I don’t think I would trust that safety netting.
I was thinking up some smart ass comment but as usual....too slow

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #186
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Wait until you clowns see how I get in it. If I had one word "Spectacular".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
I was thinking up some smart ass comment but as usual....too slow
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #187
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

And then...

...there was a tire.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #188
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
...there was a tire.

You can bury it a bit standing up, they had some at the Meridan Motorcycle Club like that on their clubhouse property in the practice area. They were taller tires and one was high but depending upon your skill can be the height out of the ground.
dontlr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #189
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,569
Fill the whole in on that tire. One great section is a long skinny that has some angle to it. Ride a 6 inch wide beam 20 feet very slowly. You can start with it on the ground, then raise it about 6 inches and it becomes . Raise it 18 inches and it really gets sketchy.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #190
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
OK, got some online photo storage.
Weather was perfect for a wonderful evening and had a roll of construction ribbon that was given to me. So I set up a few mini sections in my partially landscapped back yard. Started off with the creek bed. Right, Left and right. up the walls. Even turned the water on.

Second time through I was cleaning it every time. Better then I thought I would do. Next time I will tighten the turns a little more.

With the creek bed cut in the ground it made a pile of dirt. Thought this would be easy. Come up the side hill and turn left 180° and down the hill.

Disaster every time. While the dirt is packed fairly tight it is just loose enough to turn to marbles when you try to do anything on it. I would wash out one tire or the other every time. I couldn't even paddle my way through this.

Spent the rest of the evening weaving around all the trees and other trash in the back yard until dark. Nice way to wind down the evening.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #191
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
OK, got some online photo storage.
Weather was perfect for a wonderful evening and had a roll of construction ribbon that was given to me. So I set up a few mini sections in my partially landscapped back yard. (snip)

Disaster every time. While the dirt is packed fairly tight it is just loose enough to turn to marbles when you try to do anything on it. I would wash out one tire or the other every time. I couldn't even paddle my way through this.

Spent the rest of the evening weaving around all the trees and other trash in the back yard until dark. Nice way to wind down the evening.
All I can say is, Rome wasn't built in a day, Bou didn't start riding trials in the past 5 years. all those "sayings" except the "if it was easy everyone would do it" that one is just wrong, there really isnt anything easier on a motorcycle, than learning to ride trials, on a getting to be less than a 150lb motocycle... Just sayin

Practice, practice, my padiwan, look for teachers of our sport, everyone wants to show you what they know, help out. make sure you practice and listen to the people that know the RIGHT WAY. once you get past the muscles your brain will apply it to everything trials, as long as we're doing it right to begin with.

It takes weeks per hour you have invested in doing it wrong, for a lot of people, and constant "for example" me bitching at them to stop it, LOL.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #192
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
All I can say is, Rome wasn't built in a day, Bou didn't start riding trials in the past 5 years. all those "sayings" except the "if it was easy everyone would do it" that one is just wrong, there really isnt anything easier on a motorcycle, than learning to ride trials, on a getting to be less than a 150lb motocycle... Just sayin

Practice, practice, my padiwan, look for teachers of our sport, everyone wants to show you what they know, help out. make sure you practice and listen to the people that know the RIGHT WAY. once you get past the muscles your brain will apply it to everything trials, as long as we're doing it right to begin with.

It takes weeks per hour you have invested in doing it wrong, for a lot of people, and constant "for example" me bitching at them to stop it, LOL.
I understand. I strung the ribbon in a way I though would give me a little challenge and help in areas I need some help in. I thought the switchbacks up the walls of the creek would be a learning curve, they weren't. So I plan to tighten them up an make it a bit more challenging. I was pleasently surprised that I could ride better then I thought I could.

As for the dirt hill. I know what I need to pratice on when I go out riding with others. Get some advise, some demos. I know one (more) of the things I need to work on. I may not know how to do it now, but I know what I need to work on. My goal is to find an area that I have issues with, recreate it at home, figure it out, pratice until it is good, apply it to the section.

The last time I went out I found that the pratice of the tight turns on fairly flat ground was paying off great. Now to work on the rest of the riding.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #193
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I understand. I strung the ribbon in a way I though would give me a little challenge and help in areas I need some help in. I thought the switchbacks up the walls of the creek would be a learning curve, they weren't. So I plan to tighten them up an make it a bit more challenging. I was pleasently surprised that I could ride better then I thought I could.

As for the dirt hill. I know what I need to pratice on when I go out riding with others. Get some advise, some demos. I know one (more) of the things I need to work on. I may not know how to do it now, but I know what I need to work on. My goal is to find an area that I have issues with, recreate it at home, figure it out, pratice until it is good, apply it to the section.

The last time I went out I found that the pratice of the tight turns on fairly flat ground was paying off great. Now to work on the rest of the riding.
THat is why I said anything, IT SHOWS that you are working at it... Welcome to the dark side...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #194
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 308
How the knee Bronco?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #195
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerViking View Post
How the knee Bronco?
Doing well. Still not as strong as before, but considering they cut a third of the already undersized platela tendon out to rebuild the ACL, about as well as can be expected. Almost a year since injury, just over 10 months since surgery. Probably 85-90% of what it was. And probably all it will be. They wanted a 10mm graft, but since the tendon was undersized all they were willing to take was 9mm. I have the CITI brace that I wear while riding, and not when not riding. Doc wants me to use and grow as much as possible in the knee. Only use the brace for protection, NEVER for support.

The riding is right at a year behind. I feel like I was a year ago when I first got the bike. No better, but getting better. I had a HUGE dip in my abilities the moment the knee went out. Recovery has been good. I blew through the flexibility part of rehab in unheard of time. The 2-week post surgery follow up I was sitting in the doc's office with my legs crossed playing with the phone waiting on him to come back from lunch. He just about fell over laughing at the range of motion in the knee. I didn't know that most people's range of motion was so poor when they are healthy. I had my heel kicking my own ass it flexes so well. The trouble with the great flexibility is I have never had great strength. I do a ton of walking and some other exercises and I have gotten it stronger then ever, but I still don't have great strength in either knee. I doubt I ever will.

As for my riding, I am off my recovery curve and back to my standard learning curve. Still getting better. A bit disappointed I am no better then I was a year ago but understandable considering what happened. Then think back a few years ago when I first started riding. And I really mean first started riding. I was as begineer as begineer could be. ZERO off-road motorcycle experience. So there has been huge improvments in the past few years. No overnight expert here. Next goal, to not be last in the Novice class. I am aiming for the end of the year...