User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Opinions on these long distance KTM EXC's

Check out the mileage, oil change intervals and maintenance on these KTM Exc's. Wanted to start a discussion. What is your opinion regarding their bikes and how much mileage they were able to get out of them, with less than recommended maintenance and oil changes.

http://mirnation.com/motos/ktm530exc.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712887
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
I wonder if the 350EXC can have that experience. If so, I might buy one.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Every once in a while we see one of these reports with someone going on a long journey on one of these bikes. Seems like they have very few problems and typically they exceed the oil change interval suggestions by quite a bit. The must keep their air filters incredibly clean?

On my EXC 400 at approx. 260 hours I had to have my cylinder head reconditioned because a valve was so worn into the head that the valve spring retainer had been contacting the rocker arm. The cylinder and piston were in good shape so I had the cylinder head sent off to be reconditioned. Found a hole in my Air Cleaner - wonder if that was part of the problem? Also waited too long to do a valve check.

I wonder what the first guy meant by "Engine Revision" ?

I'm not trying to make a point. Truly curious and interested in discussion.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
HendrixMFG
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I bought an '04 525 mxc with 6,700 miles on it last year. Previous owner was a ktm guy and kept the maintenance up when he first got it, but it has been used as a loaner since '07 and used hard with little maintenance. He changed the oil and checked the valves before I bought it, with the valves being in spec. The only major service done was a new timing chain on '10. I have ridden the bike 10-15 miles per day (on the street) since I bought it, plus some weekend trips. Changed the oil once at 400 miles and it was really clean. I have about 750 miles on it in the last two months with no issues at all. No oil burning, starts right up, full power, no funny noises. I'll check the valves when i change the oil after my ride this weekend, but so far this bike has been great.
HendrixMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
06 525 EXC experience

After my vavles wore into the seats beyond adjustment at 160 hours, I sent the top end out and had Kibble White Stainess valve installed. Prior, I usually had to adjust my intakes ever 500-600 mile and my exhaust every 1000-1200. The KW are like the XR valve train, 2,500 miles and they haven't moved out of spec - the engine builder said check em once a year or when it gets hard to start( means your intakes have worn down below spec). I use syntho for 1000+ mile rides, no problemo and the motors looked pristine when I did the top end valve swaps. If you get wadded up about oil, the bike takes under a quart, so an oil change is a 15 minutite field exercise. I run the stainless filters and clean then every other oil change. I have three of these bikes, they have been as reliable as any XR I've owned and twice the fun.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
After my vavles wore into the seats beyond adjustment at 160 hours, I sent the top end out and had Kibble White Stainess valve installed. Prior, I usually had to adjust my intakes ever 500-600 mile and my exhaust every 1000-1200. The KW are like the XR valve train, 2,500 miles and they haven't moved out of spec - the engine builder said check em once a year or when it gets hard to start( means your intakes have worn down below spec). I use syntho for 1000+ mile rides, no problemo and the motors looked pristine when I did the top end valve swaps. If you get wadded up about oil, the bike takes under a quart, so an oil change is a 15 minutite field exercise. I run the stainless filters and clean then every other oil change. I have three of these bikes, they have been as reliable as any XR I've owned and twice the fun.
After riding my 2011 530 only 800 miles or so,the fun level way out weighs any fiddling that might go on.
I was riding a tricked out DRZe that was going to put me in the hospital if I kept riding it the way I was.
Can you say pig iron?