ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
As a dentist I have to point out that floridating the water is one of the 20th centuries greatest health accomplishments, right up there with the polio vaccine.

We're all adults and we can make our own decisions, but the science and research is firmly in the camp of floridating water, not the opposite.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #32
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248275.php

"This new paper does not raise valid concerns about community water fluoridation (CWF) in the USA. It reviewed data on IQ scores for children living in areas of China, Mongolia and Iran where the water supplies have unusually high, natural fluoride levels. Because of high fluoride coal and high fluoride content tea use and a general lack of good drinking water standards, even those which included low fluoride areas may well have been exposed to fluoride intake far beyond that in the US.

Of interest is the fact that the one study which compared low, optimal (1ppm) and high fluoride found IQ to be highest at the concentration used for preventing cavities: "By testing of the intellectual ability of 447 elementary school students ranging in age from 9 to 10 1/2, it was discovered that both high and low fluoride had an effect on child intelligence. Fluoride levels greater than 2.0 mg/L or less than 0.2 mg/L can disrupt intellectual development."

SOURCE: Qin LS, Cui SY. (1990). The influence of drinking water fluoride on pupils IQ, as measured by Rui Wen's standards. Chinese Journal of the Control of Endemic Diseases 5:203-204."
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #33
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
You can drive up to Ned to fill you water. Here's the email I just got back from our town administrator:

"Thanks for your question. We do not fluoridate our water in Nederland. However, there is a naturally occurring fluoride level that we monitor in our water testing. In our most recent test, collected Jan. 10, the fluoride level registered at 0.13 mg per liter of water. The current EPA drinking water standard (limit) for fluoride is 4.0 mg per liter of water. Here is more information about fluoride in drinking water from the EPA: http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesr...onsAnswers.pdf"

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,720
Where do I send my pee to be analyzed?

This now reminds me of an oil thread
toddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post

Everything is an oil thread at heart.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
RO Systems have gotten very inexpensive. This is the one I've got in my house. My understanding is that it removes most of the flouride.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-WHER.../dp/B004S7TAK2
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #37
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
As a dentist I have to point out that floridating the water is one of the 20th centuries greatest health accomplishments, right up there with the polio vaccine.

We're all adults and we can make our own decisions, but the science and research is firmly in the camp of floridating water, not the opposite.
yes every dentist has that viewpoint.

i'd just prefer my water to be closer to it's pure form (I know that's difficult) and i'll decide what goes in there from there.

i follow this. http://www.fluoridealert.org/articles/absurdity/

Fluoridation is UNETHICAL because:

1) It violates the individual’s right to informed consent to medication.
2) The municipality cannot control the dose of the patient.
3) The municipality cannot track each individual’s response.
4) It ignores the fact that some people are more vulnerable to fluoride’s toxic effects than others. Some people will suffer while others may benefit.
5) It violates the Nuremberg code for human experimentation.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:25 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #38
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
RO Systems have gotten very inexpensive. This is the one I've got in my house. My understanding is that it removes most of the flouride.

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-WHER.../dp/B004S7TAK2
i'll talk to the folks again at Sprouts and get the RO equipment mfg info so I can call them directly and ask. the water guy keep saying fluoride is still in there but that does not make him the expert. if that's the case i'm cool with filling up with their system as the water taste is great & the price per gallon is cheap.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:26 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #39
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post

oh i'm just picky...I prefer clean water (& air).
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:30 PM
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
The scare about fluoride reminds me of all the hoopla about vaccines and parents who don't want their kids to have them.

Back in the mid 1970s, Lake George, NY, announced that they were going to begin fluoridation of the water on X date. Then they started putting it in three months ahead of that "announced" date. For three months there was not one complaint. Then, miraculously, within one week after the "announced date" there were all kinds of complaints - bleeding gums, teeth falling out, terrible head aches, blurred vision, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. The local paper ran an article stating that the water had contained the fluoride for the past three months because the water department expected that this foolishness would ensue . . . and the complaints stopped. Immediately. So too, apparently, did the "problems."

I'm not a scientist and don't claim to know the real answers as regards if it's good or bad for you, but I've seen how the mind-over-matter aspect in some of these things seems to have more of an impact than the actual item in question.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
oh i'm just picky...I prefer clean water (& air).
That's not being a good 'Merican. If the government tells you it's safe, then it is. No need to question. Now be a good boy and go buy something you see on TV to help the economy.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #42
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,456
Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?

Since the thread is already derailed - Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm a chemist, and was a biochemist in a former life. I'm not going to comment on the studies. People will pick and choose their data to advance their agenda, science be damned. However I will say that if you're going to worry about flouridated water dumbing down you or your children, you might want to also worry about the other 10^5 dangerous chemicals you are exposed to every single day. Bisphenols/environmental estrogens, particulate matter from vehicle exhaust, high fructose corn syrup, toxic heavy metals naturally present in the Colorado dirt ... I could go on and on ...

I just think there are plenty of other serious toxicity issues in a modern day life that make the 1ppm of fluouride in water seem insubstantial in comparison. [/soapbox]
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #43
DigiSnap Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
"toxic heavy metals naturally present in the Colorado dirt ... I could go on and on ...

Yeah, but it's not like any of us ever eat dirt... oh, wait,... never mind
DigiSnap Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #44
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSnap Mark View Post
"toxic heavy metals naturally present in the Colorado dirt ... I could go on and on ...

Yeah, but it's not like any of us ever eat dirt... oh, wait,... never mind

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i'll talk to the folks again at Sprouts and get the RO equipment mfg info so I can call them directly and ask. the water guy keep saying fluoride is still in there but that does not make him the expert. if that's the case i'm cool with filling up with their system as the water taste is great & the price per gallon is cheap.
Yep, R/O gets rid of all the bad stuff and is simple. I think it is like 99% pure. I couldn't tell ya for sure if it gets out floride but if I were a bettin man, I'd bet it does.

The flow isn't monstously huge though and you'll only have so much 'pure' water at any one time. It stores the pure water in a tank for you. Change the filters once a year...depending upon how much water you use.

To me, the simplicity and convenience is worth any extra cost. I do not want to hassle with hauling a jug or a tank or anything to a water source. Especially if I had to do it frequently! Now...if I lived in Eldorado Canyon, I'd do what all the locals do over there and go fill up for free at my convenience (at least it used to be free...haven't been over there in years). If you have to drive 20 mi to get water and get 20 mpg, thats $3+. How many trips, how much cost, whats your time worth?

Filter it yourself is still my suggestion.