Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #766
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
that's why the coast is key in the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Mexico can be VERY cold.

At most hostels and hotels I wasn't cold, but when I was camping I was cold EVERY night except those when I was on the coast. I also only had a +5 sleeping bag which was a mistake. -7 next time. I also had a very low R value sleeping mat. Another mistake. My Pro-lite next time.

If you guys haven't gone further yet, check out this little route. Very scenic and very diverse in more ways then one. A bit of an eye opener. The town you end up in is quite nice. Lots of fancy places to check out as it's a "weathy mexican get away from the "city".

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Unk...&sz=10&t=m&z=8

I enjoy the updates. Enjoy the ride!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #767
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
that's why the coast is key in the winter.

Bill,

I could honestly say my trip wouldn't have been nearly as good if it didn't include the highlands. I loved those colonial towns.

Now I presume you meant to say leave the highlands for summer?

PS, didn't you say you lived in Guanjuanto for awhile?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #768
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Bill,

I could honestly say my trip wouldn't have been nearly as good if it didn't include the highlands. I loved those colonial towns.

Now I presume you meant to say leave the highlands for summer?

PS, didn't you say you lived in Guanjuanto for awhile?
yes & no doubt & me too.

the colonial highlanda are amazing!!!

and yes I lived in Guanajuato (awesome city) and visited San Miguel De Allende plus hot springs (La Gruta) a ton. it was however in the summer. In the fall I visited Tequilla, Chapala, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Bernal and the Huasteca (peunte de dios...best hike I ever done in my whole life! if anyone is interested in how to find...it's hard) & Xilitla.

I would never have anyone miss the colonial highlands...the coast is just warm now that's all.

my year in mexico was to follow the good weather > late spring drive Sayulita from the US> summer Guanuajuato > fall travel > winter & springs Sayulita.
the rainy season is june 15 to oct 15 but not in the dry Guanajuato/SMA area. summer was dry. watching the coast weather however it rained like cats and dogs.

La Gruta hot springs - between SMA and Delores Hidalgo (awesome place to be for the Grito - independance day).

puente de dios (door to god / god's doorway) deep in the huasteca

part of the hike to get there
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:12 PM
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #769
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm especially enjoying your RR because you are taking your time and enjoying the ride.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #770
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I'm especially enjoying your RR because you are taking your time and enjoying the ride.
agreed. way to many people just blast on through and miss all the details that makes mexico an amazing place.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #771
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
You are finding some great spots.....I will keep an eye open for you on the trail....it's a big country and so many places to explore....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #772
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 557
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/70.html

We had our doubts about visiting Mexico City. It's the 7th most-populated city in the world at over 20 million residents. We've heard the traffic and the congestion are killer! Not a place you'd want to ride into by motorcycle. So when Garry contacted us over the Internet and invited us into the big city, we naturally jumped at the chance!

Garry and I yakking about bikes

Garry, along with his wife Ivonne, run the the Garry Hostel, whose mission it is to "give accommodations to intrepid Motorcycle Travelers brave enough to come and experience the marvels of Mexico City". It's actually their home that they open up to any biker riding through Mexico, as they are also motorcyclists as well. Garry and Ivonne have hosted over 90 sets of motorcycle travellers over the years! They are taking their own big trip in the near future and I'm sure all this good karma they've built up will revisit them in spades!

Mexico City subway - normally a zoo during rush hour

Garry had to work during the week, so we took the subway downtown to visit the world-famous National Museum of Anthropology and History. Since our hosts were taking us pyramid-hunting this weekend, Ivonne told us it would be a great way to brush up on Mayan and Aztec culture before the visit.

Truthfully, I'm not really a museum person, I just like taking pictures. I also like taking naps in museums... Neda loves museums and talks about all the things she learns about while I am snapping away. This gives me material for the blog to go along with all the pictures. But because I'm only half-listening while taking pictures, most of these third-hand-half-heard "facts" that I write down are wrong, and then everyone e-mails me to correct me, and then I get to tell Neda how popular we are on the Internet. It's a great system...

Gene: kikikiki...
Neda: Are you 5?!
Gene: Come on! I'm sure the artist was also like, "kikikiki" when he made this...!

Aztec Calendar Stone

Speaking of wrong facts, the very famous Aztec Calendar Stone, which is a Mexican cultural symbol, is now believed to be a basin or altar for human sacrifice. Now that's a lot cooler than some lame calendar!

Aztec head, sacrificial basin in the background

Outside the museum, there's a park with lots of vendors selling trinkets

Tweety-bird looks on as Neda gets a gold tooth put in, rapper-style

When we were in Guadalajara, we met a couple from Montreal who had come down to Mexico to get dental work done. The prices down here are much cheaper than in Canada, so Neda takes the opportunity to score some novacaine.

Outta the way! One-Two-Fives in da house!

My battery is not holding a proper charge, so after Garry gets back from work, we go searching for a Yuasa YTX14-BS. Garry's got a couple of smaller 125cc thumpers that are more suited for zipping in and out of Mexico City traffic, so off we go into the city zooming around on these tiny bikes! I got to ride his reverse-shift Honda on the way back, and I was stalling and hopping that rear wheel all the way home! SO MUCH FUN! :)

We didn't end up getting a battery that day, but we did go to the BMW dealership where they tried to charge me a million pesos for a BMW OEM battery. With the currency conversion, it would have been like a couple of thousand Canadian dollars. Whatevs...

Break dancers in Coyoacan

Mexico City is not in a state, it's inside a Federal District. One evening, our hosts take us to the historic centre of Coyoacan, one of the most popular places to visit in Mexico. With it's cobble-stone streets lined with restaurants, cafes, bookstores and other cultural attractions, the place is packed with a flurry of people and activities. We also discover another of our favorite foods - churros filled with Nutella! Neda is in heaven!

Cruiser parked outside one of the many cafes in Coyoacan

On the weekend, Ivonne drove all of us to the pyramids in Teotihuacan about 45-minutes north of Mexico City. Garry made up some stories about how northern Mexico City was the dangerous part of town, 'cause that's where they cut people's arms off. But when Ivonne hit the automatic locks when we were driving through the north, it scared us a little...

All throughout our trip in Mexico, we have been picking up bits and pieces of Spanish, but nobody has ever taken the time to teach us all the swear words. Until now. Ivonne's colourful vocabulary sprang to life as she negotiated the congested streets of Mexico City. "Chingo"!, "Ai Cabron!", "Tonto!"... ok, that last one wasn't that bad, but our SpanishDict apps on our iPhones were working overtime as we were shuffled around in the back seat while darting in and out of traffic!

We'd titter like little kids everytime Ivonne threw another Spanish cuss word at an errant driver that got in her way... :)

Hat and sunglasses commerce at the pyramids in Teotihuacan - tons of vendors everywhere!

We must have climbed over a thousand flights of (very steep) stairs going up and down three different pyramids during the day

Garry takes everyone of his guests here. He's climbed this pyramid over 90 times in his life!

Couple takes a break at the half-way mark

Ivonne fashionably surveying the land. I wish we had brought hats too...

Pyramid of the Sun is the largest pyramid in MesoAmerica. The people at the top look like tiny hairs!

There are three pyramids in Teotihuacan, the Pyramid of the Sun, the Pyramid of the Moon and the Pyramid of the Feathered Serpent. I found it interesting that like the Aztec Stone Calendar, the larger Pyramid of the Sun was misnamed. It's actually dedicated to the god of Water. So it should really be called Pyramid of Water, but it's been called the Pyramid of the Sun for so long that they're not going to bother changing it.

Reminds me of the Skydome back in Toronto. When Rogers Communications bought the rights to rename it to the Rogers Centre, everyone still calls it Skydome... Whole lotta money wasted...

Second pyramid-climb of the day

Pyramid of the Moon

Ivonne meditating in the shade. She's resting since we all fell asleep in the car as she drove us all back

Our bikes resting at the Garry (and Ivonne) Hostel

lightcycle screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:49 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #773
Jbeckerx2
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Kikikiki...

...another great post...

An incredible landscape and culture. I continue to follow each update with anticipation for the next. Keep up the incredible RR and continued good health and safety in your adventure.
Jbeckerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #774
NoLurkerAnymore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Ah yes, you are correct!

I do have a picture of my setup. Though it's probably not the safest way to take riding shots...
Maybe not safe, but cool anyway
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #775
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,374
Well I'm around again, great to see that you're still alright! Still great RR and I think that you gave me an idea for later on in my life!

ride safe

Tom
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #776
dungbeatle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
New life,great RR.

Great RR guys please keep up the dedication to it even though it takes a lot of time and discipline. You are riding in slow motion taking time to discover life and culture I love the way you have been able to do this.
Photographs are fantastic and are truly worth a thousand words.
Have fun, stay safe, see your dream through and please keep sharing, you are inspiring others to do the same.
dungbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #777
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Tostadas ! Then some ice cream !

It was great bumping into you two !

Everyday is a winding road.........
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #778
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I think that you gave me an idea for later on in my life!
I look forward to your RR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeckerx2 View Post
An incredible landscape and culture.
A serious understatement. We had no idea it was this rich and that we would be spending so much time exploring it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Tostadas ! Then some ice cream !
It was great bumping into you two !
And you as well! I checked out your pictures and stole the one you took of us. Hope you don't mind if I post it?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #779
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,633
Seen this guy before?

Heya Gene and Neda, we are currently and the Garry Hostel and enjoying Mexico City as well.

Off to the pyramids either tomorrow or the next day.

Great report and pics to as usual mate, catch up down the road soon.

(BTW .... I will go to sleep in Museums too and Ellen loves them .... must be a chic thing!)
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #780
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Seen this guy before?

That would be the Most Generous Man in Mexico City!