Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5881
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
A typical American woman... you spoke to one about bikes... that's all you needed to write to create a post for this thread.

98% of American women are fully informed of everything they could ever want to know from current media sources. They know everything about all that is fictionally hyped.
Really? Still recovering from a divorce?

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #5882
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
The BMW thing and age....sure lusted after a BMW a long time before I could afford one. R100CS but then they came up with the K100RS and I bought that at 28 in 85.

First one in Victoria BC and one of the very first in Vancouver. Sure attracted a crowd back then, I used to wait until they went away to go back to my bike just so I wouldn't have to asnwer too many questions, stupid or not. I'd rather ride than babble on the side of the road....

But I'll answer any stupid question if I can, really there ain't such as a stupid question. Wouldn't be the first time such a question brought something good later, all depends on how the mind works I guess, takes seemingly stupid things sometimes to put mine on the right track.

Stupid comments....I just ignore most of them on the road. No time for that!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #5883
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Really? Still recovering from a divorce?
Recovering from dating, or just conversing with, American women. Yes.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #5884
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
But on a much deeper level I am sure that the mission is to take sheltered young boys from Utah and turn them into confident young men who are comfortable in their faith and culture as Mormons in the larger world beyond Utah, and who are better equipped for a lifetime of interacting with, and sometimes even converting the heathens.

And on that level, while he might not have been doing what he'd been told to go out and do, I suspect he was doing exactly what his elders wanted him to do.
One of my best friend was a Mormon guy. I knew him before he went on his mission. I'm sure it helped him greatly in being less awkward human being.

That said, if it was my best friend on a mission for the church of alcohol, casual sex and free cocaine, I still wouldn't want to talk about converting.

I'm 27 and I have a GSA. I've got full coverage on it, so I'm never particularly paranoid about it. Last night though I was questioned by some dude in a night class about motorcycles. One of the questions was "where do you park at?". It's an innocent question because parking suck for bikes on campus for some reason. However, it made my spider sense tingle.

"Where do you park at?" I wanted to say "Mind your own goddamn business."

I ended up just saying "the motorcycle lot."

Not to be elitist. but it also reminded me of how much more informed you become about bikes over the average rider if riding is your hobby and not solely transportation.

"How many cc's is it?"

"Daaaang, it must be fast."

Not particularly.

I went on to explain that it was air/oil cooled and two cylindered, no not like a harley. No its a BMW. No they didn't just start making bikes recently. Blah blah. And then I grew two heads and he stopped talking to me.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #5885
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,101
Talk about an uncomfortable touring bike. I ran into a dude from the Netherlands in Edolo, Italy on a Ducati 1098. Said its really not that bad. For some reason I just didn't fully believe him. His wife was a bit more sensible on a Street Triple.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #5886
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Talk about an uncomfortable touring bike. I ran into a dude from the Netherlands in Edolo, Italy on a Ducati 1098. Said its really not that bad. For some reason I just didn't fully believe him. His wife was a bit more sensible on a Street Triple.
Antihero has put some miles on his Ducati. It's an 1199 IIRC.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437

This is a fantastic ride report!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #5887
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Antihero has put some miles on his Ducati. It's an 1199 IIRC.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437

This is a fantastic ride report!!!
Yes, an awesome ride report. Over 15K miles in what, 7 months? Zoom zoom!
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #5888
max1138
unsentinent wanderer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm gonna have to print up that quote and tape it to my bike to use at a later date

Man, I am never that quick witted when it comes to shit like that.
normally im not either, but that was the first thing that came to mind, I had a road king at the time also and oddly that was the instant thought "it'll never fit in the in box on my truck" so I just went with it from there.
max1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #5889
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
Reply with "Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen".

Make them sorry they asked.
I'm fairly certain that would make me sorry I tried to say it.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #5890
Stasis
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
My first BMW was a R1150R at age 23 I think. I'm 27 now and on a F800ST. I started riding at age 16 on a 1200 Bandit and most of my bikes since then have been Standard or sport touring bikes with the occasional dual sport thrown in.

I'd be on a RT right now if I could find a decent one with low miles at a price I could afford. I love the RT personally.

Not all us young guys are squiddies on sport bikes. Those of us "youngins" that happen to enjoy sensible bikes that can take us a long ways just happen to be the exception to the rule.
I bought my first bike, a V-Strom 650, a few weeks after my 22nd birthday. (I happen to still be 22.) I like the looks of sport bikes, but the Wee is more suited to my riding style and habits. Now that I've had some miles under my belt, I sit on my best friend's Ninja 650 and think "Wouldn't your legs cramp up on this thing?"

I had my barber ask "Aren't you cold on that?" It was only in the mid 50s F that day. I just smiled and said "Not too bad."
Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5891
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I stopped at an auto parts store today and a guy walked up to me and told me "nice bike" and started to talk to me. He asked the normal questions like what type of bike is it etc.
He then proceeded to inform me that my type of bike is a sportbike and is really fast (subjective). I tried to explain to him my bike was a street bike unlike the cbr parked directly in front of me.
He then went on to inform me "the bike only handles well when accelerating"
And when I told him that my bike is built for street use and does just fine at low speed he responded "well everything handles well in a straight line"
I try my best to be nice and I enjoy talking and explaining motorcycling but at the point I just shut up and walked away

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #5892
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
A friends uncle told me that his 800lbs Harley handles turns better than my 380 lbs supermoto. He explained that he can lean it further then I ever can. I didn't complain, the guy was letting me stay at his house for free lol.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #5893
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I was riding my TW200 and stopped at an auto parts store. The parts guy asked me if it was a TW250. I told him no it is a TW200. He told me that he ridden a TW250 in the Team Oregon class. I didn't feel like arguing with them that a TW250 doesn't exist.

Another time at a gas station also on the TW the attendant asked if it was a 400. I said no it is only a 200. He looked at how small the engine is and said he should have looked closer before opening his mouth .

My goofy little TW200 does seem to get a lot of attention.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #5894
Madrox
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3eh View Post
Guess I will throw my hat into the ring as youngest bmw rider, since i'm 19 and have been riding for a year. I like sport bikes but really more drawn to naked/supermoto second only to dual sport i just love the look and utility. I ride a g650gs

stupid questions:

"man how do you learn to do that it must be so hard" (referring to riding)
"a bmw, that must be so expensive"
of course the typical "can i take a ride" generally from kids at school

My answers for the first 2 vary depending on the person, the last is always "no" just sometimes more dick-ish
Holy shit, someone younger than me on a BMW!
Madrox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #5895
D R
----

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3eh View Post
Guess I will throw my hat into the ring as youngest bmw rider, since i'm 19 and have been riding for a year. I like sport bikes but really more drawn to naked/supermoto second only to dual sport i just love the look and utility. I ride a g650gs

stupid questions:

"man how do you learn to do that it must be so hard" (referring to riding)
"a bmw, that must be so expensive"
of course the typical "can i take a ride" generally from kids at school

My answers for the first 2 vary depending on the person, the last is always "no" just sometimes more dick-ish

In 2011, at the BMW MOA Rally, a young lady by the name of Stephanie received the award for the youngest rider in attendance -- 16 YOA. This year, now 17 or 18, she rode her 650GS up to Deadhorse AK and back, along with her father.