ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,913
.7 ppm is the minimun dose as set forth by the PHS regulations. At the ABQ-Bern. Co Water Utility Authority, we meet that naturally, so additional floridation was stopped.

Current federal fluoridation guidelines, maintained by the PHS since 1962, state that community drinking water should contain 0.7--1.2 ppm fluoride, depending on the average maximum daily air temperature of the area. These temperature-related guidelines are based on epidemiologic studies conducted during the 1950s that led to the development of an algebraic formula for determining optimal fluoride concentrations (67,90--92). This formula determined that a lower fluoride concentration was appropriate for communities in warmer climates because persons living in warmer climates drank more tap water. However, social and environmental changes since 1962 (e.g., increased use of air conditioning and more sedentary lifestyles) have reduced the likelihood that persons in warmer regions drink more tap water than persons in cooler regions (7).

By 1992, fluoridated water was reaching 144 million persons in the United States (56% of the total population and 62% of those receiving municipal water supplies) (93). Approximately 10 million of these persons were receiving water containing naturally occurring fluoride at a concentration of >0.7 ppm. In 11 states and the District of Columbia, >90% of the population had such access, whereas <5% received this benefit in two states. In 2000, a total of 38 states and the District of Columbia provided access to fluoridated public water supplies to >50% of their population (CDC, unpublished data, 2000) (Figure 2).

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #47
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post
Since the thread is already derailed - Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm a chemist, and was a biochemist in a former life. I'm not going to comment on the studies. People will pick and choose their data to advance their agenda, science be damned. However I will say that if you're going to worry about flouridated water dumbing down you or your children, you might want to also worry about the other 10^5 dangerous chemicals you are exposed to every single day. Bisphenols/environmental estrogens, particulate matter from vehicle exhaust, high fructose corn syrup, toxic heavy metals naturally present in the Colorado dirt ... I could go on and on ...

I just think there are plenty of other serious toxicity issues in a modern day life that make the 1ppm of fluouride in water seem insubstantial in comparison. [/soapbox]

Hey Harry So when I'm following AtomicXRer on his 2 smoker in the Jemez----can I breath or not?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #48
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Hey Harry So when I'm following AtomicXRer on his 2 smoker in the Jemez----can I breath or not?
Deeeeeep, sustained breaths
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #49
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Miss Maya

Hey Bill,

I've been giving this issue some serious thought.

If you want to truly preserve Maya's IQ and ability to learn, I see two things you should strive for.

#! Keep her from going through puberty!

#2 Keep her away from ADV Rider!

There you have it! Your Welcome! Happy to help!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #50
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Bill,

If you want to truly preserve Maya's IQ and ability to learn, I see two things you should strive for.

and a shotgun by the door when #1 fails!
nwcolorider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #51
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
That's not being a good 'Merican. If the government tells you it's safe, then it is. No need to question. Now be a good boy and go buy something you see on TV to help the economy.
hows that hole you hide your head in? i was taught to question everything.
we ditched TV 4 yrs ago. i'm not a sheep & hope (for your sake) you're just joking w/ me.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 09:19 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #52
eakins OP
Butler Maps

i have the mfg info now and i'll call them on monday. it's .25c a gallon and i drive by the store everyday when i drop my daughter off to pre-k.

i'm renting in FC (i own houses in steamboat) and have no long-term plans to stay on the front range, so the sprouts machine (if it check out) is my solution.

if not i'll search the next area. i'll find it.
it seems most don't know what's in their water or care to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Yep, R/O gets rid of all the bad stuff and is simple. I think it is like 99% pure. I couldn't tell ya for sure if it gets out floride but if I were a bettin man, I'd bet it does.

The flow isn't monstously huge though and you'll only have so much 'pure' water at any one time. It stores the pure water in a tank for you. Change the filters once a year...depending upon how much water you use.

To me, the simplicity and convenience is worth any extra cost. I do not want to hassle with hauling a jug or a tank or anything to a water source. Especially if I had to do it frequently! Now...if I lived in Eldorado Canyon, I'd do what all the locals do over there and go fill up for free at my convenience (at least it used to be free...haven't been over there in years). If you have to drive 20 mi to get water and get 20 mpg, thats $3+. How many trips, how much cost, whats your time worth?

Filter it yourself is still my suggestion.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 09:18 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #53
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Bill,

trust me she's going to a Waldorf school next year.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #54
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
and a shotgun by the door when #1 fails!
i was raised in a Quaker environment Norm.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #55
eakins OP
Butler Maps

i'm aware.

no high fructose corn syrup ever & so on. no BPA. we shop organic and are conscious and grateful eaters. much of our diet is vegetarian but not always. we still like meat but not red (unless it's elk). good choice fish of course. we avoid polluted areas as best as possible and use almost no chemicals in the house.

i understand it's impossible to have zero exposure but we try the best we can.

the reason i became the guy with the map and leading a tour is so i could be in front and not suck exhaust and dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post
Since the thread is already derailed - Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

I'm a chemist, and was a biochemist in a former life. I'm not going to comment on the studies. People will pick and choose their data to advance their agenda, science be damned. However I will say that if you're going to worry about flouridated water dumbing down you or your children, you might want to also worry about the other 10^5 dangerous chemicals you are exposed to every single day. Bisphenols/environmental estrogens, particulate matter from vehicle exhaust, high fructose corn syrup, toxic heavy metals naturally present in the Colorado dirt ... I could go on and on ...

I just think there are plenty of other serious toxicity issues in a modern day life that make the 1ppm of fluouride in water seem insubstantial in comparison. [/soapbox]
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #56
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
hows that hole you hide your head in? i was taught to question everything.
we ditched TV 4 yrs ago. i'm not a sheep & hope (for your sake) you're just joking w/ me.
Nope. I know the government is looking out for what's best for each and every one of us. Like a loving mother. You should learn to trust better.

Without TV you're depriving your kids of all the truly important values they need to learn. Friggin' hippie.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #57
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,254
Four pages later . . . .

We're a little bit north of Wellington, but you're welcome to come fill your jugs from our well here in Laramie. Trouble with our well is it's only 100 feet deep. All the neighborhood septic systems are about ten feet deep, but they've been flowing for fifty years. We all drink city water because the bacteria from our septics gets in the wells. The, um, recycled fluoride from the city water we drink probably gets into the wells too!

I'll be moving to Elizabeth soon. I'll have a well there too. No fluoride, but god knows what else comes up through that well. Working on well testing now, getting ready for closing. I'll let you know how much fluoride we find in the testing.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #58
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Hey cowboy,

Last fall I had a well drilled on my property in Kiowa - wasn't cheap - but I was able to perfect my water rights to the upper Araphoe Aq. The well is just over 700 feet.

Most of the property in the area I am in have denver aquifer wells - they are fairly shallow (100 to 200 feet) and reletively cheap to install - but the water quality is an issue - N+N, (lots of cows pissing and fertilizers from farming ops) and shallow coal seams in the denver formation all result in tastes, smell and other quality issues.

The Araphoe water is very good as far as taste - but would appear to have some salts issues. Certainly, coliform bacteria, iron bacteria etc are not an issue - but the salts may make growing difficult. I highly doubt that there are any anthropogenic chemical impacts due to the remote location and the fact that the Apaphoe is obviously a deep confined aquifer, and no other Araphoe penetrating wells exist w/i miles of mine. Araph. Fm water was not encountered until ~ 640 feet - and stabilized at ~150 feet bgs and I set my pump at ~200 feet. I should probably test my well - but I have been drinking that water pretty much exclusively for a bit over a year and I am not dead yet.

The driller I used (Hamacher Well Works Inc.) were very active in the area and his experience showed. The cost with the pump I selected was a bit over 20k.

I hope you enjoy Elizabeth.

wzd1a screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 08:21 AM
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #59
beernutt
This space for rent

Oddometer: 304
I hate it when somebody ruins a good anti-government conspiracy theory rant with facts.
beernutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #60
eakins OP
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Nope. I know the government is looking out for what's best for each and every one of us. Like a loving mother. You should learn to trust better.

Without TV you're depriving your kids of all the truly important values they need to learn. Friggin' hippie.
now yer scaring me dude...or still messing with me.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:50 AM