Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 806
Just weld on a bigger foot on the bottom of the side stand. Then you could use that as your tire spoon too! Problem solved!
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
outbacktaz
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 493
Guys, check this out... I'm a KTM fan, but I gotta give this guy some credit!!

Click here!!

And if you still doubt the effectiveness, check this one out...

Click here as well!!

Regards,
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,911
I have used the Motion Pro tools to break the bead on a K-60, they work really well as bead breaker, faster than the clamp style tools like tyrepliers. But the tyre lever part is not that great - to broad and stubby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #34
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,727
I just had a chance to use this on my 990 rear wheel this weekend.. out in the dirt.. and it worked brilliantly.. it took only two squeezes, about 6-8in apart.. very little effort, no sweat, packs super small and light.. and if you think $80 is a lot, check out some of the other ones.. one in particular, comes with about 82 pieces, has two pages of instructions on the website, and cost $200-$300 depending on the type of steel you chose - I am NOT kidding.. I've also owned the c-clamp looking one, but it's heavy, slow and also a bit of overkill.. I'm not trying to lift a house, just pop a bead.

if you search around (i.e. google), you can find that BeadPro for under $60.

And yeah, they kind of suck as tire irons, but as a trail side bead breaker, they work brilliantly on probably the hardest wheel to break a bead
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #35
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Just used mine today in the garage to get a Karoo3 off. No, it didn't work by itself. I tried working it around the rim in small increments but it would not work on it's own. When using a long spoon to push the bead down next to the beadbreaker it worked better. And lots of lube - a luxury that will not be afforded on the trail this week.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Just used mine today in the garage to get a Karoo3 off. No, it didn't work by itself. I tried working it around the rim in small increments but it would not work on it's own. When using a long spoon to push the bead down next to the beadbreaker it worked better. And lots of lube - a luxury that will not be afforded on the trail this week.
how odd.. what kind (and size) tire was this on? was it fully deflated - have to ask, because it was so friggen easy when I did it, and there were about eight fellow adventurers all standing around, mostly they wanted to see if the tool worked as well..

Mine was on a Metzler Karoo II 140/80

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
how odd.. what kind (and size) tire was this on? was it fully deflated - have to ask, because it was so friggen easy when I did it, and there were about eight fellow adventurers all standing around, mostly they wanted to see if the tool worked as well..

Mine was on a Metzler Karoo II 140/80

Karoo3 in 140/18.
2004 950A which has the safety bead. not sure if the later models do?
That's my third tire change and it's always a nightmare. Conversely, I change tires on my 300's in about 15 minutes. Except for ice tires
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
ciedema
мотоциклист

Yep the later ones also have this bead. I used this a few times now. You do need get it quite close to the rim and sometimes have had couple of goes at it but it always works with out to much effort.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Karoo3 in 140/18.
2004 950A which has the safety bead. not sure if the later models do?
That's my third tire change and it's always a nightmare. Conversely, I change tires on my 300's in about 15 minutes. Except for ice tires
probably like anything, just takes practice.. I can change the rear tire now in about 30 minutes from start to finish, although I cheat a little by using a manual tire changer, but I use it mostly to hold a vise like grip on the wheel, and removing the old one.. the rest I do by hand with two 12in tire irons, a bead buddy, and a little wd40.. and of course the beadPro

The rear is actually easier to me, then the front, because it's so easy to keep the tire down in the center portion on the rear since the rim is so friggen wide. The front takes me about 45-60min because of narrower rim, and fiddling with the brake pads on the calipers..

so yeah, that thing works a champ for breaking bead, but forget about using it for tire irons.. get a set of good ones.

CMA Fast Lane Forums
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #40
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
Yep the later ones also have this bead.
I thought KTM reduced the size of the rear safety bead on the later bikes. I could have sworn I read this somewhere, but maybe I'm imagining it.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #41
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I thought KTM reduced the size of the rear safety bead on the later bikes. I could have sworn I read this somewhere, but maybe I'm imagining it.
I have heard this also somewhere here. I had 04 950 and a 11 990 no difference. Unless it was earlier than my 04.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #42
ktm55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The bead break end of the tool works well. As for the spoons they are ok but there are better spoons available. Good for dirt bike tires but that 150 rear on a ADV is gonna be tough.

Here's the bead break tool I use from Motion Pro. Don't let the plastic cause you to reject it. It does a good job and does not have to be hit hard to push off the bead. It does have to angled properly then struck with a medium blow using a soft hammer

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0439/
ktm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 733
something that I think everyone forgets about when considering other users feedback on tire changing is 1) what tire are they changing? 2) how often do they change tires? 3) what lube was used last time they changed tires? 4) what kind of tube are they using? 5) what condition are the rims/tire/tube/rim strip in?

I change tires often on my 950 because I wear them out quickly and change for conditions. I've had mine for about a year now and have put about 2k miles on it and have changed the rear maybe 5 or 6 times. I can swap tires in about 10 minutes once the wheel is off the bike. But if you have a tire with a super stiff sidewall, big bead, it's been on there for 4k miles of saltwater, road grime, no lube was used to install the tire, super grimy/dirty rim, it's 35 degrees outside, and it's raining on the side of the trail where you got your flat, it's going to take quite a while to change the tire.

not to rain on anyones parade, and IMHO Motion Pro makes the best tools on the market bar none, but there are a lot of variables to changing tires on these beasts. if you look at professional tire changers (like at AMA MX and SX races) I'd bet that all of the changers are using Motion Pro tools. And it's not because they get them for free, it's because they are the best at what they do. IMHO. :)

that being said, I might have to order a set and try them. I have the standard MP spoons for home use, and the aluminum ones for trail use, but having a bead breaker would be nice to have on other peoples tires. mine are easy to break. :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
ciedema
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
not to rain on anyones parade, and IMHO Motion Pro makes the best tools on the market bar none, but there are a lot of variables to changing tires on these beasts. if you look at professional tire changers (like at AMA MX and SX races) I'd bet that all of the changers are using Motion Pro tools. And it's not because they get them for free, it's because they are the best at what they do. IMHO. :)

that being said, I might have to order a set and try them. I have the standard MP spoons for home use, and the aluminum ones for trail use, but having a bead breaker would be nice to have on other peoples tires. mine are easy to break. :)
I have used mine to change a wide range of tires, from a wide range of uses in a wide range of temps (30k of usage). These are great bead breakers almost as efficient as something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/200970966949?lpid=82.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #45
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Works great! Peels the tire off the bead like a can opener. Takes about 3 to 4 pry's and the tire pops off the bead. An added feature are the tire spoons on the other side of the tool. Worth every penny IMHO.
XT500
Quij95 is offline   Reply With Quote