ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #6901
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
I'm about to reach information overload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
About to?
ABOUT TO!!?
Highlighted map and compass looking good.
Hey, if it is this tough for us to figure out and keep straight, how much trouble do you suppose it is for all the engineers at Garmin??
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #6902
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Hey, if it is this tough for us to figure out and keep straight, how much trouble do you suppose it is for all the engineers at Garmin??
they are supposed to know about this stuff...we just users(or prospective users)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #6903
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Can you provide a screen shot, please?

I have mine set to prompted, but still only get the options listed in my previous post.

EDIT:

I have now set Off Route Recalculation and Calculation Method to "Prompted".

My bad, please accept my apologies.

Who said what about Map and Compass?

Did I ever mention how easy and intuitive the Montana is to use?

yeah I dunno but some guy put a LOT of energy into this really cool Montana Wiki that shows Setup->Routing with this option:

[Off Route Recalculation]

Select how the Montana will recalculate when off route.

• Prompted
  • Automatic
  • Off
So to complete the thought, when you set it to Prompted, then while navigating and you go off route a bit, it will prompt you, something like: Off Route, Do you want to recalculate? Yes or No.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #6904
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

I really can't understand how Garmin can feel ok about selling these products and not having any decent documentation to explain them. I'd like to work there awhile and incorporate all of these requests, not the least of which is SOME BASIC USER MANUALS that explain how to use BC and the Montana together!

I'm hoping if I beg enough some experienced guys out there will look at my examples and see if they make any sense to them?

Surely some of you experts are just lurking around and ignoring my posts because they are too long, but I want to know if they are "correct"? I.e. if my "working model and rules" sound reasonable?

p.s. thank you Rocky I was afraid I was either being ignored due to too much information, or was so far off base that everyone was just being polite and not correcting me. (of course both of these are probably still true! )

Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #6905
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
About to?
ABOUT TO!!?
Highlighted map and compass looking good.
Now I have a headache too! Where's my map...or my 276c. Sheesh.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #6906
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I'd like to work there awhile and incorporate all of these requests, not the least of which is SOME BASIC USER MANUALS that explain how to use BC and the Montana together!

That would be about 2,000 pages....

I'm hoping if I beg enough some experienced guys out there will look at my examples and see if they make any sense to them?

They make sense to me...the rest of us are still cogitating.....

if my "working model and rules" sound reasonable?

Pretty close, I think.
But overload is definitely happening.....we all need to get out and ride!
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #6907
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

OK, moving right along... We've established that we can have no more than 50 (or 51) Shaping points (a Via Point dropped in BC using the Insert tool) in a route we create in BaseCamp then send to the Montana that we intend to autoroute with. Set the Shaping points just AFTER critical intersections rather than ON the intersection (see below).

Next, how can we best use this route? One idea I hear a lot is to create the Route in BC using a non-Direct profile (e.g. Motorcycling) so it will auto-route, then adjust things until you like it. When done save it as a Track also. THEN change the Route to be Direct before you send both the Route and the Track to the Montana. Then on the Montana set the routing activity to be anything other than Direct (e.g. Motorcycle).

Then you have both a Route and Track to follow. The Track will always be correct and the Route is handy for things like Distance (or Time) to Destination. For me on an off-road trip where I don't want it to reroute if I take a slight detour I would also set: Setup->Routing->Off Route Recalculation to Off.

The best description of this I found is from DRTBYK at post 5746:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana is "suppose" to take your Route from BaseCamp (map versions being equivalent) and run them unchanged. But, I have come across Routes that would lock up the navigation at certain places along the route. I believe that these lockups are caused by Via Points placed at Intersections. This does not happen all of the time - which makes it very hard to diagnose just what the heck is going on. I have never had a Route lockup if I placed my Via Points after Intersections when I needed them.

As has been discussed, if you want to make sure your route will calculate properly create a Route in BaseCamp that follows the path you want and then create a Track of the Route. Just before sending your Routes/Tracks to the Montana, change your Routes to Direct Routes. Once on the Montana make sure your Routing Activity is set to Automotive or Motorcycle Driving. This will cause the Montana to calculate your Route into an along-road route. Now you can compare it to the Track as mentioned and verify that the Montana calculated the route as you intended. The side benefit of this process is that you can now EDIT this route on the Montana - including reversing the Route.

Cheers,
Those of you that have tried this, I assume both the Route and the Track are visible at the same time? Probably in different colors? But since you are navigating on the Route it will be big fat PINK line and most of the time overlap the Track I guess. Is this partial overlapping easy to see what is going on this way or do you have a suggestion?

Any other ideas or tips?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #6908
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

When I plug in my Montana to the USB, what exactly do you think it is doing when it says (momentarily):

"Saving all Waypoints, Routes and Trip Log information in GPX format: xx% Complete"

?

Is it creating GPX "files" ? Where? on the internal storage or on the PC or ?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #6909
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Next, how can we best use this route? One idea I hear a lot is to create the Route in BC using a non-Direct profile (e.g. Motorcycling) so it will auto-route, then adjust things until you like it. When done save it as a Track also. THEN change the Route to be Direct before you send both the Route and the Track to the Montana. Then on the Montana set the routing activity to be anything other than Direct (e.g. Motorcycle).

Then you have both a Route and Track to follow. The Track will always be correct and the Route is handy for things like Distance (or Time) to Destination. For me on an off-road trip where I don't want it to reroute if I take a slight detour I would also set: Setup->Routing->Off Route Recalculation to Off.

Those of you that have tried this, I assume both the Route and the Track are visible at the same time? Probably in different colors? But since you are navigating on the Route it will be big fat PINK line and most of the time overlap the Track I guess. Is this partial overlapping easy to see what is going on this way or do you have a suggestion?

Any other ideas or tips?
I did this on a trip to the US last May/June & Sept/Oct, with just a route, I didn't have any troubles at all. I didn't do the track thing, but this coming March I'm heading South again (truck/trailer to south of snow) then ride & I will be doing the Track & Route.

Seems to be the best option at this time.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #6910
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
But overload is definitely happening.....we all need to get out and ride!
Yeah I hear dat. I'm using the winter in my cage to learn this toy though. I would have crashed by now if I had pushed the buttons 10 times per mile like I've been doing in my cage!

Still the biggest thing that pisses me off Restore Defaults !!!

E.g. when I am looking at a map, then press ||| to get the menu below in order to pick Setup Map, but invariably I accidentally press Restore Defaults. I wish there was an "Are You Sure" screen after this. There are several other places this occurs, like in Nuvi when you click on the MPH in lower right then ||| menu and instead of picking Setup Trip Computer I pick Restore Defaults and it completely restores everything.

Restore Defaults is EVIL for motorcyclists on the move! grrrr.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #6911
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 666
Google maps to Garmin Routes

I was very frustrated with the whole software thing this weekend but sorted it out today.
I started a new thread so it would be easy for me to find in case I forget.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861155

It might be helpful for anyone looking for a fast way to create routes while avoiding Basecamp as much as possible!
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #6912
Hayastani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Has anyone had any problems connecting the Montana to an Autocom system? I have hard wired the Rugged Mount to the 'bike which posers up the Montana but there is no audio. The Autocom system is an Active Duo which has a small (2.8mm I think) male jack plug which with the use of a converter is fitted to the Montana's 3.5mm female connection. Could the problem be anything other than a fault with the Rugged Mount? If yes, can you point me towards what I should be looking at please? It may be worth noting there is audio output through the Montana's headphone socket. Many thanks.
Hayastani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #6913
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayastani View Post
Has anyone had any problems connecting the Montana to an Autocom system? I have hard wired the Rugged Mount to the 'bike which posers up the Montana but there is no audio. The Autocom system is an Active Duo which has a small (2.8mm I think) male jack plug which with the use of a converter is fitted to the Montana's 3.5mm female connection. Could the problem be anything other than a fault with the Rugged Mount? If yes, can you point me towards what I should be looking at please? It may be worth noting there is audio output through the Montana's headphone socket. Many thanks.
Maybe you have a stereo connection when the Montana mount is Mono.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #6914
Hayastani
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for that bighopper, I shall check that out.
Hayastani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #6915
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,760
Quote:
OK, moving right along... We've established that we can have no more than 50 (or 51) Shaping points (a Via Point dropped in BC using the Insert tool) in a route we create in BaseCamp then send to the Montana that we intend to autoroute with. Set the Shaping points just AFTER critical intersections rather than ON the intersection (see below).

Any other ideas or tips?
The simplest method for me is if I have to use more then 50 via points I create multiple routes.

What really sucks is I'm lazy and I usually just use the routes that my buddies create. Of course they have 276's which don't have the ridiculous 50 point max so their routes usually contain more.

As for displaying both route and track, it doesn't matter if you can't see the track under the route. When you do see the track then you know somethings up since the route and track are no longer following the same line.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote