XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to play games, get the Spot, but if your life depends on getting the word out, get the ResQLink+. It's registered with NORA and is a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) that you carry on your person and push the button in the event of a life threatening emergency only! It's from ACR. Google it. There's some good deals out there, but I think I paid like $209 after rebate.

RZ Rob
    [​IMG]
  2. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Oops, wrong button. It's a 4.5x18

They also offer a 4x18 for $10 cheaper.
  3. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats just a jab at you. Got vidio yet?
  4. super samurai

super samurai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so is the daves mod consist of the drilled holes,lip grinded off the screw, shim the needle and possibly modify slosh baffle and new jets?

i thought i seen something of drilling the slide or is that a whole another thing.
    the mod seems easy accept the jetting.
    anyone here in the puget sound that has done it have a good jet size combo that worked?

i was gonna just go buy a few sizes of each at the local bike shop.
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Go to Fourstrokes.com and look up Honda tech articles. Youll find the original write up for Daves Mods. The info is all there with pix.
  6. Mossy-Back

Oddometer:
    The drilled holes are the 2 holes in the slide. You've got the right idea.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

For jetting, I'm at about 300ft above sea level, and I tried 55/158 and was too rich. I recently went to 52/155 and it seems to be running quite well.
  7. Miguel Sanchez

Miguel Sanchez VD #110 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Running an FMF Q4 - I built my turndown out of stainless ;-)
    [​IMG]

Built it so the Federales can still read the "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor" stuff on the 1/4" wide aluminum flange around the opening. It took a LOT of the pop, pop, pop noise out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, that's not On&Off's ninja. That is the infamous Skippii riding that ninja on those trails! :deal
    I wish I could find Skippii's RR on taking a girl on a date up an abandoned hiking trail on that 250. He wound up leaving the bike in the middle of BFE, hiking to the top of a mountain in the dark, spending a cold night on top of a mountain and having "just" enough phone battery to call in for help the next morning! :lol3

I haven't been on Craigslist in awhile. Got on there tonight and saw a "brand new" MEFO explorer 80-100/21 for sale for $50. E-mailed the guy...turns out he lives 20 minutes away. It's safe in my garage now. :evil
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the tail light melting/distorting the lens? The bike I bought in September had one of those low profile lights on it at some point in time. It came with it in a box of parts. The bulb had distorted the lens. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these low profile tail lights...
    I like them and if it wasn't screwed up I'd put it back on. Just wondering if others have the same problem?
  10. purpledrake

purpledrake No Pretensions

Oddometer:
    Hey, Evan

I am going to dig into this, too. Did you just by the jets? Is there anything else that needs to be purchased? I stopped by my local bike shop (really a pretty good selection of stuff), but they don't stock jets...."we have to special order them....." In that case I can always buy what I need by myself. Right?
  11. Mossy-Back

Oddometer:
    I want it! Looks awesome!

Awesome deal. Heard lots of good stuff about those.

I did the whole mod. Drilling, screw shaved, jets. RM ATV has jets or jetsrus.com has them.
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those Ballistic batteries don't have the cold cranking power of either the Shorai or Antigravity batteries. :deal If I were going to perform my battery relocation today, I would buy an 8-Cell Antigravity battery.

Spud :beer
  13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You did a very nice job! :nod In what manner is the turndown attached to the muffler? Also, what did you use to bend the pipe?

14. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can buy the carburetor jets at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. That's where I got my jets. :deal

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/213/930/10189/25596/Keihin-99101-393-Series-Main-Jet

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/77/213/930/10189/24376/Pro-X-N424-26-Series-Keihin-Pilot-Jet-

15. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Miguel Sanchez that is very nice. Would you consider making more?
  16. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luggage rack query.

Ok I have just bought wolfman rollie in size medium.

I've started to look hard at a luggage rack system that accommodates the Rollie's instead of slapping them straight on the bike (as there supposed to be)

Does anyone use the Rollie's with a rack or simply as your supposed to without a luggage rack on each side?

What rack system is best for the xrl?

I've looked at wolfman and they don't have a rear crossbar which I think the xrl needs.

I've also looked at the sw mototech which look to bd what I'm after.

But. Is mounting the Rollie's on a hard rack system simply going too far?

I'm only new to the whole luggage thing. I bought the med Rollie's because I wanted to maintain a minimalist approach but I find myself very interested in a robust rack system.

What about other brands ?
  17. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That happens when you put the wrong bulb in it. The bulb is the 1157 it is to big. It touches the lense and it melts with just the heat off the running light. Put the rt bulb and you wil be good to go.
  18. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:

This might work for you. He makes great stuff and is fast. He's also on this thread every once in a while.

http://www.manracks.com/#!product/zoomrxv/305008291/XR650L Saddle Baggers

Hope that helps!

-Barron
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it does touch the lens. It was in a box of parts I got with the bike. I think it does have an 1157 in it. That's the one I would probably use without knowing any better. So what is the right bulb number for that tail light?

For those of you who have never compared the 90-90/21 to a 80-100/21...A 90-90/21 T-63 on top and a 80-100/21 MEFO explorer on the bottom.

[​IMG]

The photo below was taken at a slight angle. The T-63 is about 3/4" taller.

[​IMG]
  20. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for Mike at Manracks... I acquired several of his XRL products around Christmas and am very happy with all them so far. He's really responsive when communicating and quick to ship.

I have the SD Rear Rack (like Spud's), Hog Legs, Case Saver, Front fork tie down brackets, and rear mount luggage strap brackets (mounts to passenger peg bolt and provides a low point when cinching down luggage). Everything mounted up easily/fits well and looks great! I have yet to truly test the strength of the rack but it feels very solid... I have used it to pick up the rear end several times now.

Later in the year I hope to acquire the SD saddlebag rack... I'm pretty sure I can mount the saddlebag racks in addition to the rear rack... Giving me the option of having rear rack+saddlebag capability, saddlebag only, or rear rack only... Versatile system.