Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #166
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
No idea on what interchanges to be honest, but I doubt (m)any of the chassis parts do.

IMO you will be much better off waiting for an SE to turn up, tons of parts and known mods for it out there.
In the mean time, I have done some research on this topic. XF 650 frame is a little beefier than DR 650 frame, but share the same basic geometry. Also, XF is available with EFI (post 2000). Well, if I find a good one for a good price, we will know for sure :).
I have a set of KTM WP's standing by...
svestenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #167
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,512
Lukas, I've read this thread fully and really admire your opinion on matters off-road. You have a ton of experience on different bikes/brands and this build, imo, is a more of a Euro/Suzuki hybrid than a "true" DR Adventure build. A DR in your vision, so to speak.

So, your opinion...

1. Did the addition of the KTM suspension and brakes transform the bike and make it on par with current offerings from other manufacturers? (being that brakes and especially suspension are common Achilles heels)

2. What was the final wet weight?

3. How was the bike offroad compared to your other bikes? (Husaberg, KTMs you have ridden, etc) Was the geometry changed at all? Was the bikes trail or riding characteristics changed at all? Was is snappier or did it push more?

4. I get that most of the fun is wrenching on the bike, the build itself. The only thing bikewise that is almost as fun as riding is garage time with good friends. That said, would you do it again? Was it worth it to you, time/financially?

5. How many miles did you put on it? Do you feel it could truly be a do-it-all bike?

Thanks for sharing this. The DR is a very popular bike on this forum, and I'm sure you gave lots of owners a ton of good ideas.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #168
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post
In the mean time, I have done some research on this topic. XF 650 frame is a little beefier than DR 650 frame, but share the same basic geometry. Also, XF is available with EFI (post 2000). Well, if I find a good one for a good price, we will know for sure :).
Can you get a nice shock for it, or will the same DRZ or RMZ shock fit that people put on DRs?

The EFI thing I doubt very very much, even the 2010+ model Freewinds that I have seen in South America were carbed. Where did you see that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Lukas, I've read this thread fully and really admire your opinion on matters off-road. You have a ton of experience on different bikes/brands and this build, imo, is a more of a Euro/Suzuki hybrid than a "true" DR Adventure build. A DR in your vision, so to speak.

So, your opinion...

1. Did the addition of the KTM suspension and brakes transform the bike and make it on par with current offerings from other manufacturers? (being that brakes and especially suspension are common Achilles heels) It was definitely comparable to a KTM 640, and IMO lots better than a stock modern KLR, F650GS, Tenere etc on anything except maybe highway, where the heavy pigs are more stable. The 690 is in a different league weight and power-wise but not as nice on the highway.

2. What was the final wet weight? If I remember correctly 335 lbs wet with no fuel. I removed/replaced about 22lbs of crap and put back on 10lbs with hand guards, skid plate, etc.

3. How was the bike offroad compared to your other bikes? (Husaberg, KTMs you have ridden, etc) Was the geometry changed at all? Was the bikes trail or riding characteristics changed at all? Was is snappier or did it push more? Comparable to my old LC4, a lot more stable than the Berg, more stable than the EXC, both of course it handles and turns like a pig compared to them in the tight stuff. Perfect for fire roads and jeep tracks, but I am over using bikes as heavy as this in real single track with obstacles. I don't see the point when I have other bikes that I enjoy way more like the Berg.

4. I get that most of the fun is wrenching on the bike, the build itself. The only thing bikewise that is almost as fun as riding is garage time with good friends. That said, would you do it again? Was it worth it to you, time/financially? That build was what got me really into bikes and modifying them so I would definitely do it again, in fact I have lots of different projects since then. Even my "ready-to-race" KTMs/Bergs get tons of mods, no bike is perfect stock, and I like personalizing them to my exact preferences and uses. The cost was not that bad since I bought everything used and sold all the old parts. In the grand scheme of things it's really nothing when compared to other hobbies, or even just buying a new bike.

5. How many miles did you put on it? Do you feel it could truly be a do-it-all bike? I put about 20,000 kms on it and I do feel that it was a great all-rounder, decent performance, very reliable and super simple to work on and fix. At the same time 5 guys who I know on here and in real life had the "one-in-a-million" third gear explosion, and that for me is unacceptable for a RTW type bike. Since that is specifically what I had built it for, I no longer had any use for it with 6-8 other bikes that are better in their specific niches.

It looks like my Africa trip is finally going to happen end of this year (5 years later than planned...) and I'm probably going to take the Berg for that. Bit of a different mission statement than such a pure-bred is made for, but I think it can do it and would be a ton of fun on a difficult mostly off-road route.

Thanks for sharing this. The DR is a very popular bike on this forum, and I'm sure you gave lots of owners a ton of good ideas.
Appreciate the compliments, always good to hear that people are getting something out of my posts, even if we are both just learning what not to do.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #169
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post
They were twin carbed, never heard about EFI on them?
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #170
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Quote:
Can you get a nice shock for it, or will the same DRZ or RMZ shock fit that people put on DRs?

The EFI thing I doubt very very much, even the 2010+ model Freewinds that I have seen in South America were carbed. Where did you see that?
just learning what not to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
They were twin carbed, never heard about EFI on them?
Yes, my mistake. One seller claimed that his bike is EFI, and it was 2001 MY. Yesterday I went and saw bike in person, and it has twin carbs, not EFI... .

I do not know yet what rear shock will fit, since XF uses different shock than DR, but I do think that DRZ or RMZ shock should fit without trouble.

In my case, suspension linkage components (i.e. dog bones) needs to be shortened as well, to raise the bike a little.

This is XF rear shock, with fluid reservoir.

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslis...fig53_3f01.gif

svestenik screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 10:16 PM
Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #171
svestenik
armchair adventurer

LukasM, what is your opinion on Showa 47mm forks, fitted to CR250/CR450 Hondas ?

I have one set offered to me in mint condition for less than half the money of WP's...

Obviously, I would probably have to machine new steering stem. That is not a big issue for me, but can they used instead of WP's for DR front end ? Would they behave near as good as WP's for enduro riding ?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #172
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not really familiar with the Showas. I'm sure they can be made to work well on the DR, just make sure that you figure out in advance how you will get the length, stroke, valving (if they are from an MX model), offset (total including fork bottoms and triple clamps) and steering stops to work.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #173
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
1500 rear shock

on TT you showed a pick of a bad ass looking rear shock with every kind of adjustment i've seen on a shock.

what happened with that? it was from wilbur like the shock you got.

I know you got rid of the DR
But did you try other rear shock options?
racetech, Cogent etc
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #174
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah that was a fully tricked out Wilbers shock, triple clickers, hydraulic preload, and length adjuster. I sold it to a fellow DR rider who I met on ADV a while back.

Never did try the other shocks but I hear good things about the Cogent.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #175
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Cool2

You never installed it?

If you did. How much of an improvement was it?

Im thinking about getting it but ive bin trying to find people who installed and ran with it to see if its worth the investment

Quote:
Yeah that was a fully tricked out Wilbers shock, triple clickers,
hydraulic preload, and length adjuster. I sold it to a fellow DR rider who I met on ADV a while back.

Never did try the other shocks but I hear good things about the Cogent.
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote