Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Mr.Mushman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Damn !!! Sorry to hear that you are having such troubles with "a brand new bike" ... Sitting for 3 years is not good anyway even if its on a battery tender. If the previous owner did not have any "Sta-bil" in the tank, as other inmates mentioned, you will have problems with the gas sitting around for so long, fuel line will get clogged and gummed up. The dealer will be able to take care of it and flush the whole system out, but I'm not sure if that would be considered under warranty ... Let us know how it turns out though, it'll be a valuable lesson for all of us ... But before you take it to the dealer maybe try what kimokk suggested and pour a bottle of Techron and see what happens, it might save you a headache taking it to the dealer, it usually is never fun to deal with that ... Good luck and keep us posted !
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,316
Luke - which London are you in (were you in)?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

BMW also have a fuel injector cleaner - for bikes - which might be a safe place to start?

Go easy on the techron - and follow the mixing instructions.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrshire Bull View Post
BMW also have a fuel injector cleaner - for bikes - which might be a safe place to start?

Go easy on the techron - and follow the mixing instructions.

BMW uses techron.
IBA #49426
kimokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
BMW uses techron.
My question centres on how much techron is a good amount of techron?

is there such a thing as too much? - not enough? - fuckt if I know .....
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Alriggghhhht

Dropped the bike off this morning with Honda Hollywood..managed to borrow a friends car so i wouldn't be stuck for the next couple of weeks while they are taking it apart and performing surgery and waiting on parts from Germany..meanwhile an hour had passed since i dropped the bike off...and it was fixed!!!!! All covered by warranty..turns out Lior was right..because the bike had spent so much time sitting (the last owner barely got through a quarter of its first tank) the gas had gone bad in one of the pipes..when starting the bike..first time..no battery lights..its starts up clean and looking like it should have....I was so thrilled to get it back and to feel like the unknown issue had been resolved such a relief..thanks for everyones input..
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeinlondon View Post
Dropped the bike off this morning with Honda Hollywood..managed to borrow a friends car so i wouldn't be stuck for the next couple of weeks while they are taking it apart and performing surgery and waiting on parts from Germany..meanwhile an hour had passed since i dropped the bike off...and it was fixed!!!!! All covered by warranty..turns out Lior was right..because the bike had spent so much time sitting (the last owner barely got through a quarter of its first tank) the gas had gone bad in one of the pipes..when starting the bike..first time..no battery lights..its starts up clean and looking like it should have....I was so thrilled to get it back and to feel like the unknown issue had been resolved such a relief..thanks for everyones input..
Remember when you put a battery on after being disconnected or dead, you need to turn the key, turn the throttle from idle to full slowly THREE times for the computer to reset the throttle position input...then start the engine.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

remember??

nobody told me that..i hope the shop did it..should i still do it if i have been riding around for a few days?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Remember when you put a battery on after being disconnected or dead, you need to turn the key, turn the throttle from idle to full slowly THREE times for the computer to reset the throttle position input...then start the engine.
I have heard this for years. Where is this information printed?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
here ....?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
In the OEM repair manual which apparently Ayrshire Bull has never read

However, the magic "three" in the previous post is not part of the process. The RepROM states:
  • Connect the lead to battery positive terminal (4) and install jump-start adapter (7).
  • Install protective cap (8).
  • Connect the lead to battery negative terminal (3) and install screw (1) with washer (2). Make sure that the connecting cable is routed correctly.
  • Switch on the ignition.
  • Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice, so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.
  • Switch off the ignition.

Note that it says "switch off the ignition" not "start the bike". I don't know if that is important or not. Oh, and the "jump-start" adapter is a longer screw for the positive lead of the battery. I don't have it on my '05.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
In the OEM repair manual which apparently Ayrshire Bull has never read

However, the magic "three" in the previous post is not part of the process. The RepROM states:
  • Connect the lead to battery positive terminal (4) and install jump-start adapter (7).
  • Install protective cap (8).
  • Connect the lead to battery negative terminal (3) and install screw (1) with washer (2). Make sure that the connecting cable is routed correctly.
  • Switch on the ignition.
  • Without starting the engine, fully open the throttle once or twice, so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.
  • Switch off the ignition.
Note that it says "switch off the ignition" not "start the bike". I don't know if that is important or not. Oh, and the "jump-start" adapter is a longer screw for the positive lead of the battery. I don't have it on my '05.
Thanks for clarifying...I was reiterating what my BMW mechanic told me..from my limited and warped memory.!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #28
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, nothing is mentioned in the owner's manual on this procedure after reattaching a battery. I think if you do nothing (as I have done several times in the last month of tinkering with my electrical farkles) the computer relearns the throttle settings on its own. I have noticed no degradation in performance so far.

However, it may be more beneficial for the prior to '07 models.
IBA #49426
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
lukeinlondon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

My bike literarily just cut out at a traffic light as it was going green. Tried to start it and it wouldn't. This is the 2nd breakdown on this bike in 2 weeks?!!! the gas meter says 50miles left which is weird cause a few miles ago it said 72 (but maybe that's because it was downhill?) anyways my gf is on the area so she is going to bring me some gas which is what sounds like the issue but come on I thought this bike was meant to go across the bloody world. How am I gonna pack my bags when I am not even sure the bike will get me across town.. I have always had REALLY good luck with bike with MUCH more miles than this one. Has my luck finally turned?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
kimokk
Gnarly Adventurer

Do you use the trip meter between gas fill ups? I start looking for a gas station around 250 miles on the trip meter. Don't rely on the miles to go computer read out.
IBA #49426