Oddometer: 6,789
Nice, got any pics of the set up?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I've got one of those installed and would say the beam is excellent but the quality is low. Hi/lo often gets stuck in either one, and sometimes bounces back and forth really rapidly.
A heavy duty version of this would be excellent!
I've got two of the Morimoto Mini's installed in my 1098. They work great. There's some work you need to do on the plunger that controls the block off plate before you install them. If you don't they have been know to get stuck. I did the modification on mine and they've worked great for over 10,000 miles now. I think they've fixed the issue from the factory on the newer iterations. It's awesome how fast they switch from low beam to high beam. That was the biggest issue with a lot of HID's is if you run a 2nd bulb for high beam you basically give up your flash to pass functionality because of time it takes to strike fire the bulbs and have them come up to full intensity. With the Morimoto's the bulbs are always on, and it's just a small block off plate that flips out of the way in milliseconds that controls the beam pattern.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #33
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Nice, got any pics of the set up?
Sorry I haven't been on much! I took some pictures the other night but they were with a camera phone and not very good... everything looks worse than it is but they are relatively comparitive. I actually took the pics of the morimoto mini DS2 on a paved road with jungle canopy blocking out all light from overhead. I thought the beam was absolutely phenominal though it looks much darker in the pics...

First up 2 back to back shots from the stock KTM 2011 (Not to be confused with the 2008/12 which is much better!) Once again this light sucks BUT in real life I could see something... safe to travel 20 mph or so...

By comparison here is a small single 18650 flashlight shining at the same field. (For those in the know it's a Thrunite Scorpion - 2.8amp XML U2. Bigger though shorter than a 2AA mag, smaller than 2C mag. +/- 720 OTF (30% lower than "emitor lumens"; 40% than typical "advertised lumens.") As it's cool white, AND low CRI, it shows up better that it helps one see. Looks 10X better than the stock KTM light though in reality it's probably just 3X as good.)

Here is the morimoto on low. I've got a 50 watt bulb w/50 watt ballast:

Morimoto on high.

Sorry I know they are all horrible pictures. The reality is the camera just didn't capture the light; they were all much better than they appeared in about = proportions.

I usually only write reviews on things I think are great or horrible and don't waste my time talking about the average. The morimoto is both to the max! The most amazing street legal beam pattern and the cheapest, most fragile piece of crap... at least from where I bought it. I think what it is is they bought or stole the amazing projector shape/angle whatever from the Audi FX and then assembled in Chinese style!
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #34
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,789
How about some pics of the Morimoto Projector in the OEM KTM headlight?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:57 AM   #35
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
for those that replaced the crap 35w headlight with the better 55w H4 headlight, did you just change the instrument cluster mounting base ?

fluff34567 screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 11:34 PM
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I had the DDM Tuning HID's on my Sprint ST and they were great. I don't know if I want to cram ballasts behind the 690 light assembly or even hide it in the frame. I will probably just add aux lighting.
One thing I wish I had was a cutoff switch for the stock headlight. No need in running them when offroad and it allows more power for other things like the fan. When both are running at the same time it has a hell of a draw.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
i saw a bike recently with a enduro-tech LED light. its BRIGHT !

price isnt bad compared to others as its a straight drop in replacement.

http://www.en.enduro-tech.eu/news/

the risers look good also.
fluff34567 is online now   Reply With Quote